PDA

View Full Version : When is 110 seats not 110 seats?

PeeToo
23rd Mar 2004, 15:20
I daresay if I was to phone the CAA I would get the definitive answer, but...

If a/c is fitted with "converter" seats, ie 3 abreast economy become 2 abreast club, then by reducing configuration to 100 seats of less, can we legally operate with just 2 cabin crew?

This was a 'get back to base' scenario, when one cc went (seriously) sick downroute.

Our Ops Manual and JAR say a minimum of one cabin crew per 50 seats "installed".

Not that it should have any real bearing on the matter, but we were only about half full.

JobsaGoodun
23rd Mar 2004, 15:44
Usually you will find that you can operate in this way in order to repatriate the aircraft and crew back to a base where that cabin crew member can be replaced.

Even if you were Easyjet flying a 149 seat 737 you will probably find that they can do it aswell, however there are a couple of restrictions.

1.Of the remaining 2 cabin attendants one must be a CA1/No1
2. A cap is put on passengers so that no more than 100 are carried. (keeping to the 50:1 ratio)

If you had less than 100 pax then this scenario seems perfectly fine and if it appears in your ops manual then the CAA must be fine with it too.

Hope this helps

Jobs!

allthatglitters
24th Mar 2004, 17:18
I have just been viewing the Boeing 737 Dispatch Deviation Procedures Guide, Section 2, MMEL: -

ITEM
25-6 Passengers Seat(s) C May be inoperative provided:

NOTE 2: Inoperative seat(s) do not affect the required number of Flight Attendants.

Also I have looked at an Airbus MEL and similar words are written.

PeeToo
24th Mar 2004, 19:07
problem is, there's a difference - I think - between number of seats installed with X inoperative, and number of seats to which aircraft is configured.

Neither our Ops Manual nor MEL give guidance as no seats are actually 'inop' !

Think I'll enquire at the CAA!