PDA

View Full Version : ppl?

fhajebah
23rd Mar 2004, 13:50
can anyone tell me what a ppl is and where it is recognised eg america

flyingwelshman
23rd Mar 2004, 14:45
Hi,

The PPL is the Private Pilots Licence........ it is (bar a NPPL) the first in a lne of licences which are available.

Current PPLs are JAA (i.e. European) altough some people still have CAA (UK) ones.

Fully PPLs can be used in USA, but expect a check ride with an examiner when you get there, you will also in line with here need curreny medical etc etc.

There is loads of information on this website about licences and getting started, have search on the search function and see what you can find.

FW

FlyingForFun
23rd Mar 2004, 15:23
FW's reply is kind of almost correct but lacking in lots of details!

PPL is Private Pilots License - a license which lets you fly aircraft, but not get paid for it (although you can share costs with your passengers, so you can take your mate flying for the day and split the costs).

As for where it is recognised, it depends. If you get an American license, it is recognised in America. If you get a JAR (European) license, it is recognised in all countries which are full members of JAA. Each country will have its own license, which will be recognised in that country.

The country where you do your training may not be the same as the country whose license you have. For example, lots of people go to America to train for a JAR license. The important thing is the country whose authorities issue you (and your school) with the paperwork.

In some cases, other countries may accept a foreign license. For example, Britain will accept any ICAO (in other words, internationally recognised) license, with certain conditions, for flying British aircraft in Britain. America, however, is not one of these - you can not fly an American aircraft in America unless you have an American license. However, if you hold an ICAO license (a JAR license counts as an ICAO license), then getting an American license is simply a matter of paperork - you get what the Americans call a "license based on a foreign license", which is only valid for as long as your "foreign" (e.g. JAR) license is valid.

The other complexity is national licenses. Some countries will issue you a license which is not internationally recognised (i.e. not an ICAO license). The UK is one such country - you can, in the UK, get an NPPL - National PPL - which is not an ICAO license, and can not be used at all outside the UK. This is an alternative option to the JAR PPL which is the usual license which UK authorities will issue.

I think that covers it all - but I may have still missed some bits out.

FFF
----------------