PDA

View Full Version : Should there be other Fora?

Timothy
23rd Mar 2004, 07:57
On another thread evo wrote:I think it's a great shame if we've become fed up with first solo stories - and especially if we've reached the point where people don't post for fear of a flaming about it. I must admit that I haven't been reading the thread (I figured it was yet another one where people just posted 'I took x hours'), but when I went solo I posted about it here. We always used to get a good selection of first solo, QXC, skills test write-ups - you could probably follow my entire PPL from my posts here. Doesn't seem to happen much any more.

Maybe it's the experience level. When I started posting here it was about a 50-50 mix of students and PPLs. Now the experience level seems higher (we still have many of the same people, but the students are now PPLs - myself included - and we have a cadre of highly-experienced IFR folks). It's bl**dy poor if the regulars have just flamed the students into submission. There's a big difference between posting about going solo and not being bothered to search for previous threads on the GPS III...I agree with this sentiment entirely. There have been bust ups in other places because the needs of Students, "Basic" or "Grass Roots" flyers and IMC/IRs are actually quite different.

I know that this is a PPRuNe, but a lot of pros are also private flyers (like me), a lot of private pilots are wannabe pros and many instructors and engineers, who are pros, work largely in the student and PPL world, so the distinction is not that great.

I wonder, therefore, if the powers that be would consider having separate fora for "PPL Training", "VFR GA" and "IFR GA" to replace the existing "Private Flying". It might be possible also to combine "Biz Jets and GA" into "IFR GA".

Timothy

DRJAD
23rd Mar 2004, 12:17
Timothy,

I'd certainly concur with that. Provided the proposed "PPL Training" forum does not become a 'cyber'-ghetto, i.e. that experienced pilots lend their support by continuing to monitor it, and providing well phrased and lucid advice when asked.

AerBabe
23rd Mar 2004, 12:55
Sorry, but I disagree. There are several problems with introducing subsets of the current fora. The most obvious is where does it stop? Soon we'll have separate fora for micolighters under the age of 32, anyone who flies purple aeroplanes (sorry Stik :E ) etc etc. The problem of where precisely your question on flying a purple microlight when you're 31 would then arise. Also, many people may not venture out of their own narrow forum and so not read the extremely useful advice that might be relevant.

AND ... there would always be someone who would complain his/her suggestion for a new forum was ignored, while someone else's was taken up.

Aim Far
23rd Mar 2004, 12:59
Didn't the wannabee forum get split into several fairly arbitrary sections last year? Good topics posted in the lesser visited sections died a death.

Personally, as an IR/IMC flying in the UK, I don't think I have a great deal in common with biz jet drivers flying upper airways. Because of our airspace structure and licencing, the difference between VFR and IFR in a non de-iced aircraft is pretty limited.

Before my IR, I learned a great deal from reading posts by IFR flyers - I still do. Often it is not the subject of the post which is the interesting bit but rather the throw-away remark that makes you think. And there's nothing wrong with having the basics repeated now and again. You only get that when those posting have a wide range of different experiences.

So I think I have to disagree with you on this one.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Mar 2004, 13:01
I disagree also, but for different reasons.

I think that this has become a "light GA" forum in reality, and we discuss both piloting, engineering and regulatory issues quite widely. Any split along entirely piloting based lines will cause a lot of threads to become much less useful.

For example, the recent thread on PA28 landing technique is equally relevant to absolutely anybody who flies (or designs and tests) the class of aircraft, irrespective of how they fly it - whether professional IFR training, or recreational VFR.

G

Evo
23rd Mar 2004, 13:06
I don't see the need for a new one. I only read a couple of fora on PPRuNe (unless i'm bored! :) ) and if the students move off somewhere and the IFR gurus went off to BizJets and 'GA' then I doubt i'd read anything either group write. I'd much rather keep it all in one place. You could say the PFA board shows what happens when you isolate a single group of flyers... not much!

We just need a few more people to ignore topics they're not interested in - or if they can't ignore it, not posting moans about it :)

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Mar 2004, 13:35
Hi T,

I am happy with the way things are here and the freedom of speech we can enjoy here as opposed to one of the other places we both belonged to!

(You know what I mean!)

Agree with Evo, AB and the others that people can read posts which may interest them and ignore the ones they are not interested in.

I like the broad experience base one encounters here.

FD

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Mar 2004, 13:39
I don't think there's any need to split the forum. In a previous incarnation I used to run a not completely dissimilar set of forums and it's pretty clear that there is neither sufficient volume of traffic, nor the presence of highly distinct interest groups, to justify splitting.

QDM

WestWind1950
23rd Mar 2004, 16:39
I wonder, therefore, if the powers that be would consider having separate fora for "PPL Training",

Timothy
I have been thinking of something like that for some time... that way any questions about flight training and the regulations would be in ONE forum section. I have sooo many questions I'd like to ask about JAR-FCL and the implementing of it... but I haven't wanted to bore you all :ugh:

But actually, I think there are already TOO MANY Foren (or Fora as you say heehee) and a lot of them get very little attention. Maybe they should be streamlined a bit .... it is just impossible to read everything so it is very necessary to have your favorites (I don't want to know how many great threads I'm missing :{ ).

Westy

BlueRobin
24th Mar 2004, 08:25
Let's not steal ideas off another site eh? ;) :D

BR

LowNSlow
24th Mar 2004, 11:58
I like it like it is now. Breaking it into small fora like the PFA bb would reduce the chance of something catching your eye which may turn out to be of interest.

Westy why not asks questions about JAR/FCL? It seems to be a grey area and there are bods on Pprune who may be able to clarify some of them.

BRL
24th Mar 2004, 12:09
Timothy. We have considered it before at great length and the closest we came was having a seperate 'training-for-ppl-type' forum. That went to a vote I think and the majority said no, keep it as it is.

dublinpilot
24th Mar 2004, 12:46
I think it's better the was it is at present.

As a low hour PPL, I'm very grateful for the replies from those more experienced than I, to my queries. I have learned a lot from their replies, to my questions, and others.

If I was in a forum for Low hour PPL's then I probably wouldn't be able to benefit from their replies, and they wouldn't venture in. Likewise if I posted a question on the IFR ga forum, it would be moved.

Also I probably wouldn't venture into the student forum, so they wouldn't be able to learn anything from me.

Also many of the questions here are about geography, rather than skills. eg. can someone recommond an airport in Paris, or Dublin....the greater the readership of the forumn, the better chance of receiving a good reply.

There's my thoughts.

dp

TheKentishFledgling
24th Mar 2004, 13:55
Totally agree with AerBabe on this one.

tKF

Timothy
24th Mar 2004, 23:16
Let's not steal ideas off another site eh?Where it works very well, don'tya think? :p

OK, if people like it as it is, that's fine. I just worry that the bulk of people are getting bored with the same stuff recurring and are not even bothering to read them.

I also worry that the people least likely to contribute to a debate like this would be those lacking in confidence in their right to complain and suggest change, and that they might themselves well be those in transition...from nothing to SPL, from SPL to PPL, PPL to IMC or IR, and from PPL/IR to ATPL, and you might think that they are the very people most in need of answers.

But hey! If it works for most people...

Timothy