PDA

View Full Version : Southampaton To Lose Based GA (merged)

Yankee
23rd Mar 2004, 07:53
According to Radio Solent the last 6 light GA aircraft have been given notice to quit BAA’s Southampton Airport in light of the 62% increase in passengers over the last year. More apron space is required, so they have to go. Main grumble seems, as usual, lack of consultation, although they have now agreed to talk direct to operators concerned to ease the transition. If they can’t find space to park based aircraft, doesn’t look good for visitors.
Lee on Solent would be good if it could be developed as the GA airfield for the Solent, but no doubt Soton would have a moan about that if it started infringing their operations.

Bournemouth guys, about time you started getting your heads together to represent the GA community down there as I have tried before. Your time could come, best be prepared, there may be plenty of space, but pricing out is a definite possibility.

ToryBoy
23rd Mar 2004, 12:51
Anyone here affected by this backward step?

Evo
23rd Mar 2004, 12:54
Only in that it became impossible to get a slot to fly VOR/DME approaches for IMC training. I got the feeling that I wasn't exactly their target customer, despite some ATCOs doing their best to help...

Oscar Duece
23rd Mar 2004, 17:08
Come on guys. We all knew this was around the corner when they closed off the grass parking. (I used to fly PORK).

Besides the parking / landing card was the most expensive around even then, and not even a roof over your head.