PDA

View Full Version : fuel drainning-why close fuel selector first??

fudgy2000
22nd Mar 2004, 13:15
why must i close the fuel selector before draining?

Hufty
22nd Mar 2004, 13:19
What type of aircraft do you fly? Also by "close the fuel selector", do you mean switch it to off?

mad_jock
22nd Mar 2004, 13:34
Proberly to make sure the fuel which you are draining comes from the tank side and dosn't cause airlocks in the fuel side of things in the engine. H'mm but on a cessna that would work if it was turned off it would only come from the engine side.

Its just a guess though never done it myself on PA38, PA28 or Cessna types. Thats not to say i shouldn't have been doing it. Also the last time I moved a cessna fuel selector the bloody thing broke so if it is selected to both it would stay there until i noticed there is a mis match in fuel in the tanks (never happened yet) then the engineers would play with it not me. If it was a machine I wasn't flying everyday I would make sure it was free prestart then if it breaks its someone elses problem and no arguments about paying for 5 mins on the tacho.

MJ

A and C
23rd Mar 2004, 06:44
Bad maintenance and trying to make you pay when the aircraft breaks because of this .............. you are flying in the wrong place !!!.