PDA

View Full Version : Forced Landing Routine/Drill

noisy
22nd Mar 2004, 08:38
Attempting to re-start?

When flying a single piston-engined fixed wing aircraft with a fixed pitch prop, is there a standard check that you can carry out when the engine fails? I want something along the lines of BUMFFICH or FREDA. My textbook (Jeremy Pratt) doesn’t contain one and the checklist I have doesn’t flow neatly.

If there is no standard check, I’m gonna have to invent one! Shall I start at the fuel cock or the primer? (Cessna 150/152)
I take it that carb heat is a bad idea when trying to start an engine from stopped?

And then if re-starting is unsuccessful I’ve got to try and remember all of the other cr@p like unlatching the doors and remembering to shut off the master switch at the last moment.

You will be glad to know that I am not typing this at 900ft AGL.

FlyingForFun
22nd Mar 2004, 08:51
Every aircraft I've ever flown has had a checklist which has included a re-start check, always to be memorised. It's different for every aircraft.

I do agree with you, though, about checklists that don't "flow freely", and when I move to a new type I often re-order the items in the re-start checklist so that they're easier to remember. My own personal preference is to do one or two things which are particularly likely to fix the problem first (e.g. my Europa used to have a problem with fuel filter becoming blocked, so my first reaction on hearing any sign of rough-running would be to hit the reserve fuel pump switch, which routes the fuel through a separate filter), then to work left-right through the cockpit, and then to return to the starter switch/key. Obviously this is very type-dependant, though, and there might be good reasons why this might or might not work in any specific type. Do make absolutely sure, though, that you cover everything in the checklist which comes with the aircraft.

FFF
---------------

Boing_737
22nd Mar 2004, 09:05
The way I was taught, which works well, is (on a warrior anyway) to start on the right hand side of the panel and work left so:

Circuit breakers,
Carb heat - hot (changes air source as well as warming the air)
Switches (batt/alt) - you never know,
Mixture fully rich
throttle check - appy full power, if no joy, close it (don't want engine suddenly coming back to life just as you're flaring for your landing)
Mags - check each one, then back on both (DON'T do this during a PFL as I nearly did once - slap from the instructor there:) )
Fuel Guages - check contents.
Fuel pump on
Change tank.

If it all goes to poo, then make your mayday call, and prepare for landing with

F - fuel - pump off, valve closed
I - Ignition - mixture cut off, mags off
S - switches off (you would have to leave BATT on on a C172 so you can lower the flaps).
H - hatches and harnesses

Obviously most of this is touch drill during a proper PFL 'cos you wouldn't want to make it a real one...:E

M14P
22nd Mar 2004, 09:10
Always a good catch all when it goes a tad quiet:

Fuel - Change tanks
Fuel - Pump On (or off in some cases)
Mixture - Adjust
Mags - Check both or try one then the other

Easy to remember FUEL, FUEL, MIXTURE, MAGS... Flows nicely

Guess what - it covers all of the most common forms of stoppage that are likely to be rectifiable before impact.

Not a complete panacea but useful, I'd suggest.

IO540
22nd Mar 2004, 09:53
Change tanks AND WAIT FOR LONG ENOUGH :O

Airbedane
22nd Mar 2004, 10:58
Whenever the engine fails in a single engine aircraft, the first two chex must be:

1. Attain and maintain best glide speed.

2. Pick a suitable place for a landing.

After that, everything else is a bonus and will depend on how much time you have. If you are short of time, then tighten straps and maybe switch off fuel etc. More time, then tell someone. Even more time, maybe start to trouble shoot, but not at the expense of screwing up the forced landing.

noisy
22nd Mar 2004, 11:21
I appreciate that Airbedane,

Let's assume that there is a big flat field just over yonder and there's a pub in walking distance. I am interested in developing a practice that I can memorise that I might never have to use. It's precisely due to the lack of time that I want to have a think about this before it ever happens.

Airbedane
22nd Mar 2004, 11:39
Apologies Noisey, I didn't mean to be officious. You are quite right to think of it in that way. When the engine fails, you'll have little time to sort things out and more importantly, no brainpower available to help you. Everything you do in advance is money in the bank. I posted as I did because when instructing I teach my students to prioritise in the order posted above.

Now, to your question. I fly several different types, so the cockpit layout, and to a certain extent, restart drills are different. The latter can only be catered for by reminding oneself before every flight. But as to the question of what to check, I was taught to do a round the cockpit scan, which seems to work well in theory. In practice, I've had several engine failures and not one has restarted. In two cases tha prop had stopped. On one of those, I dived off most of my height trying to restart it to no avail. I didn't bother on the other one.

What I'm trying to get at is, yes, it's, a good idea to have a plan, and yes, you must have it in place before you have to use it, but don't get too bogged down into it, the priority is to get down safely and if the aircraft is still useable afterwards, then well done you.

noisy
22nd Mar 2004, 11:52
the number of options available will probably depend on the height. Failure on takeoff will almost certainly involve tightening the harnesses and landing ahead. If however, I get caught out at 5000ft, I don't want to miss something obvious. I'm not fortunate (?) enough to fly for a living which is why I would like to hear people's opinions.

Thanks,

Noisy

mark147
22nd Mar 2004, 14:43
Easy to remember FUEL, FUEL, MIXTURE, MAGS... Flows nicelyIf it's not an injected engine, CARB HEAT HOT must be high on the priority list: carb ice is a likely reason for engine trouble and if you leave it too long, you won't have enough heat left to melt it.

Mark

Tinstaafl
22nd Mar 2004, 20:45
Fuel....Air....Spark.

Fuel: Conceptually, start at the fuel tank & work your way to the engine eg change tank/on, pump on, mixture as appropriate (usually rich)

Air: Carby heat & throttle

Spark: mags on? Check L or R.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Mar 2004, 21:37
Nobody has mentioned checking that the primer is locked? Should this be on the list?

paulo
22nd Mar 2004, 21:55
Mine is (fuel injected): Pump, Mixture, Throttle, Mags.

Can't say it's right, that's just what I could think of when 'drilling' the other day before a first flight after layoff.

There isn't much chance that any would do any good (Pump is always on for me in what I do, and the rest can only be wrong if they've "wobbled" from previous state). So I'm fairly convinced I'll set up the glide, pick the field, and only once really comfortable with the spot, start doing other things (restart, mayday)

shortstripper
23rd Mar 2004, 08:54
Pretty much every thing has been covered but something else worth considering is to make sure the throttle is wide open.
This gives the best chance of a restart in most cases as any partial blockage by carb ice ect means not enough air is getting in, also the compression is slightly less to allow the engine to turn over easier (try kicking a motorbike over with the throttle open and closed to compare).

I've had a couple of engine failures and found I seemed to have plenty of time to think ... it's much easier without an instructor scrutinising your every move believe me :\

I have no list but as most normally aspirating engines are pretty much the same ...

Fuel on/switch tanks ... primer locked ... pump.
Mixture.
Change air ... from cold to hot or vice versa.
Mag check.

Also worth noting that with a carb ice situation, it's actually possible to keep the engine going by gently pumping the primer! This isn't a recommended thing but it may keep the engine going while you get the ice melted.

If no joy leave everything in the best start combination with the engine windmilling until 1000 feet (or less if you're happy to) and then switch everthing off and concentrate on landing.

SS

PS. For best glide if needed... stop the prop! (but again this is getting a bit involved in most cases) :p

noisy
23rd Mar 2004, 11:28
I wouldn't use the primer in this way if I could avoid it. You don't know what you might burst. It's got to be worth knowing about though. Thanks shortstripper.

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Mar 2004, 13:18
You will be glad to know that I am not typing this at 900ft AGL.

Strangely enough, I'm not sure it makes all that much difference. I was discussing with a 2,500 hour Auster pilot at the weekend with three engine failures behind him and he was of the opinion that you're almost better off at 500 feet than 5,000 feet. Obviously, at 5,000 feet you might have the possibility to glide home or to another airfield, but failing that field selection is quite a problem. There's a lot of choice and it's hard to assess. The big advantage from 500 feet is that you can see the contours of the ground and your options are limited, which prevents you faffing around. Also, from 500 feet you can get down a lot quicker if you need to than from 5000 feet, e.g. engine fire.

I guess this applies to small aircraft like Cubs and Austers. I couldn't comment for Bellanca Vikings or Piper Saratogas.

QDM

FNG
23rd Mar 2004, 13:33
Interesting point, QDM, particularly on the subject of field choice. As you say, lower being (arguably) (almost) better wouldn't work for all types. It struck me the other week whilst chugging around in a Cub, at low altitude in some claggy vis, that it was a jolly nice type of aeroplane to have a mishap in, particularly as everything happens so slowly and it can land so short.

When as a pre-solo student the engine stopped at 1000 feet agl in a not very glidy type, the instructor, who had been busy yelling at me until the thing went phut, faffed no faffs and went straight for the appropriate field, no messing. He had time to get in a Mayday call, which assured a prompt lift to the pub afterwards, but not time for much else (he even stopped yelling at me, which was nice).

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Mar 2004, 13:45
It struck me the other week whilst chugging around in a Cub, at low altitude in some claggy vis, that it was a jolly nice type of aeroplane to have a mishap in, particularly as everything happens so slowly and it can land so short

Yep. As the saying goes, a Cub is such a safe aircraft that it will ju-u-ust barely kill you. ;)

Pianorak
23rd Mar 2004, 19:11
(Sorry being somewhat pedantic)

In a PA28 Warrior III the question would be: primer “covered” rather than locked.
Also, I believe the fuel pump goes on before changing tanks.

DubTrub
23rd Mar 2004, 22:13
The first rule, Mr Noise, is as you know to fly the aeroplane. The second is to intend to walk away from the wreckage. The third is to find farmhouse/pub, depending on whether you need tea or whisky, which largely depends on the time of day of the unfortunate demise of the propulsive system, and the extent of the wreckage.

It's good to discuss these potential failures, because sooner or later one of us will have one.

(QDM, some of your points echo my own thoughts, and I do not have 2500 hours in an Hoster. Ever tried to glide a Globe Swift? Much like a Viking.)