PDA

View Full Version : constant circle

Kellvin
22nd Mar 2004, 04:05
This might seem a strange question, but how do you put a cessna in a constant turn, without holding the yoke.

I keep being told, if I need to read my map just to circle where I am. I can start the turn but if I let go of the yoke the a/c just rights it's self and flys off.

This means if I need to "circle" I just pick a point, fly away from it for a bit and then return to it, describing a ovel more than a circle.

I was reading propeller head and in his thruster to sit in a circle you just pushed the stick over, to get the a/c to stop turning you needed to cancel it, by flicking the control back the other way, My cessna just cancels itself!!

So, I need two hands to draw lines on the map when I am usually lost. So I have to let go of the controls, everything being in trim this is not a problem, but it just won't circle.

any ideas?

Dewdrop
22nd Mar 2004, 06:56
Secondary effects of aileron is yaw ! If you don't control that constant turn a downward spiral can result. I'd keep my hands (at least one) on the yoke if I were you.

IO540
22nd Mar 2004, 07:30
That would suggest that if you had rudder trim, and elevator trim, you could fly a hands-off turn indefinitely.

I don't think this is possible, because no normal plane is stable in roll. Pilot control is always required sooner or later.

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd Mar 2004, 08:17
You can if you have Control Wheel Steering on your autopilot.

FD

FlyingForFun
22nd Mar 2004, 08:55
It may be better to fly a square, rather than a circle. You can look at your map when flying the edges of the square, and fly hands-on around the corners. As long as you always keep a specific object on the ground in sight so you don't drift further off course, this will achieve the same objective as flying a circle, only easier.

One other, related point. If you need to do this, then immediately make a note on your plog of the time that you started circling (squaring?). If you don't do this, then a few minutes later you'll have forgotten how long you'd been flying for, and you won't be able to work out roughly what area of the map you expect to find yourself in. Likewise, once you've located your position and you set off again, note the time immediately - and once you're established on track you can use this time to revise your ETA.

FFF
--------------

IO540
22nd Mar 2004, 10:01
Incidentally, is it true that if you remain in a fixed bank, say 10deg, for many minutes, the AI gyro will eventually show you as wings-level? What about the TC?

QDMQDMQDM
22nd Mar 2004, 12:15
I wouldn't have thought flying a circle and looking at the map was very advisable. Surely it is better to fly a racetrack pattern, looking at the map on the straight bits? It's very easy to let a turn get out of control when you're stressed anyway and not concentrating on it.

QDM

mark147
22nd Mar 2004, 14:39
Incidentally, is it true that if you remain in a fixed bank, say 10deg, for many minutes, the AI gyro will eventually show you as wings-level? What about the TC?AI will because of its centering mechanism, TC won't (it's not a free gyro).

Mark

Kellvin
22nd Mar 2004, 14:40
Thanks for the replies,

Looks like with my a/c, no rudder trim or autopilot I better continue what I have always done.

Pick a easy landmark, mark the plog, scan for safety, flyaway from it and back to it. So much for the circle.

The square seems a good idea but I would have to turn four times, only twice for a ovel.

Even better I think would be to be more sure of my position, thus concentrating on the flying and not the map. But, Im sure all of us gets "temp unsure of position" from time to time...

As for spiral dives, never did like them.

Cheers,

:D

QDMQDMQDM
22nd Mar 2004, 15:02
But, Im sure all of us gets "temp unsure of position" from time to time...

If you have a GPS on board which you are familiar with it is much harder (although not impossible) to end up temp unsure of position.

QDM

ToryBoy
22nd Mar 2004, 15:26
And I would go as far to say that if you had a GPS on board you wouldn't have to fly in circles balancing a pencil and ruler on a map.:O

Kellvin
22nd Mar 2004, 17:33
I have a GPS and I use it.

It is quite a new one, got it after christmas in the sales.

A garmin legend.

Officially you are meant to navigate by reference to the ground as a VFR pilot. Plus, I don't really trust the GPS.

several times I have grabbed it only to see the words, "requires clear view of the sky" despite the fact it had been sitting merrily on the dash in full clear view of the sky for ages.

Maybe as I get used to it and feel more comfortable with it I will use it more.

However, do remember, you are not really meant to be relying on your GPS you know!:}