PDA

View Full Version : Don't put your ICOM in your handbag

Hansard
21st Mar 2004, 20:56
Newly purchased ICOM came with a handy warning:

"Never short terminals of the battery pack..............so be careful when placing battery packs or the transceiver in handbags. Simply carrying with or placing near metal objects such as necklace causes shorting"

You have been warned boys!!

DubTrub
21st Mar 2004, 22:05
9V pp3 batteries are the worst (such as used in ANR headsets)...terminals shorted by coins etc. Ever been in an in-flight fire?

Put used ones in a little plastic bag or similar, and don't open new ones 'til you need them.

DT

Sensible
22nd Mar 2004, 00:13
Chucked a lantern battery (the one with two springy things on top) into a toolbag together with some wire wool once, fortunately I smelled the burning coming from the boot of the car before it was too late!

IO540
22nd Mar 2004, 07:29
Yes, if you place a spare battery pack among other items, place a piece of insulating tape over its terminals.

Icom battery packs are particularly badly designed, with terminals unnecessarily exposed.

BEagle
22nd Mar 2004, 08:28
A PP3 9v battery concealed in the palm of your hand and is just the thing for persuading a mother-in-law's snuffling dog to annoy someone else! When she's looking the other way, just stuff the terminals on the end of its wet nose! That'll make it back off!

Boing_737
22nd Mar 2004, 09:33
See what happens, you put it in your handbag, someone calls, and you don't answer - whats the point:)

(sorry for the flippant reply, but I couldn't resist)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
22nd Mar 2004, 09:34
BEagle, I see you are about as fond of thoughtless dog owners as I am:)

Must remember that one;)

SSD