PDA

View Full Version : FAA Radio Licence Requirements

sinkingfeeling
21st Mar 2004, 18:20
I have been advised that if I use my FAA PPL in the UK and wish to use RT, then I must have a seperate FAA Radio Licence issued to be legal

Is this true?, and if it is what do I need to apply for one

Sinkingfeeling::confused:

Genghis the Engineer
21st Mar 2004, 18:24
There is no such thing as an FAA RTOL, it's part of the PPL.

It may be that somebody thinks that you should have a UK CAA RTOL, in which case your local flying club should be able to sort you out for £100 or so including a day or so on a refresher course, but I've not heard of this being needed before.

G

Keygrip
21st Mar 2004, 20:23
That's not STRICTLY true there Genghis.

Whilst there is no R/T licence requirement for operating the radios - this is only true in Federal airspace (i.e. somewhere over America).

For flight outside of Federal airspace the pilot is required to hold a Federal Communications Commission Restricted Radio Operator Permit. Nothing to do with the FAA.

You can download the application form from the FCC website at (no surprise here) www.fcc.gov (http://www.fcc.gov)

You would need Form 605 - it's a (fairly) new one, and you need to 'register' with the site first to be able to get to it.

There used to be two forms - one for US Citizens and one for non-US Citizens - make sure you get the correct form if that's still the case.

At least on the old one - completion of your name and address etc. before mailing the majority of the form to the FCC gave you an instant R/T permit. Can't tell now without registering on the site.

Short answer to your question was "Yes - you do need an R/T permit"