PDA

View Full Version : Shanwick Broadcasts Manchester Please

Bagso
18th Mar 2004, 07:11
Do any of our Scottish friends know if the Shanwick clearances could be brodcast from Kelsall nr Manchester Airport in the sme way they are transmitted from Grantham and Davidstow Moor ?

We now have 30+ flights a day Ex Manchester to the USA and Canada this summer.

Becaue of the proximity of MAN to the 1st Oceanic entry point aircraft departing Manchester cannot get Shanwick clearance until they are suffciently high enough to contact SWK on VHF. This mean sthey are still sorting out levels by the time they pass either Bagso or Dogal.

It would make life so much easier if they could request /obtain this on the ground at MAN before departure.

This used tio be the norm at PWK and SNN for the same reason!

Kelsall is ome of the major transmitter points in Northern England and can be recd from on the ground at MAN.

Torque2
18th Mar 2004, 08:02
Short term fix...Have you tried HF? Possibly from Manchester?:D

Roger That
18th Mar 2004, 09:45
I'm not aware of any instances where this has been raised as an issue by Shanwick customers so I would say that making the case for investment would be difficult. Indeed, at Scottish, where the OAC entry point is even closer, close liaison between crew, Scottish and Shanwick mean this isn't a problem in my experience.

In any event, taking into account how far in advance this would have to be issued, I think this may well waste airspace for other users [and hence create a fuel penalty as requests would have to be transferred to lower levels] as the system would have to allow a crossing "window" to enable Manchester tower to integrate these departures (if they could easily do this ?) into their traffic pattern, CTOTs, MDIs etc.

Bear in mind also that a significant portion of NAT traffic uses ORCA [datalink] to obtain their Oceanic Clearance(s) and this [usually] can be done as soon as flight crew workload permits following departure.

If you have information about problems that are being experienced let the Shanwick supervsior / watch manager know about it and the problem can be tackled appropriately.

RT

This Charming Man
21st Mar 2004, 13:56
Bagso

think your on to a loser here.Majority of clearances are now issued on ACARS/Datalinking etc hence the closure of one the positions/frequencies a few months ago !:*