PDA

View Full Version : RF5B - Motor Gliders

Arclite01
17th Mar 2004, 19:44
I know a few glider pilots read this so here goes:

As my usual power mount is about to be sold and I'm investigating other options, a few questions:

1. Anybody flown one of these ? and what are your impressions ?

2. Any good on a rough field ? - it has an all ply fuselage so my first thoughts would be no

3. What are they like in the cruise - what sort of speeds are possible engine on ? (and off as a glider)

4. How effective are the airbrakes ?

5. What is the vis like from the rear cockpit ?

6. How much do they cost to buy ?

7. Anywhere in the UK you can fly one ?

Note: I am not interested in the RF3 or RF4 - only the 2 seat RF5.

Thanks all

Arc

ChrisVJ
17th Mar 2004, 20:04
Flew an RF5 (and an RF4) about 30 years ago from Biggin. I guess if you're asking they don't still have them there.

I had a Chipmunk conversion and found the RF5 easy to fly. Slow in roll, naturally, but otherwise responsive. Can't remember exact speeds but I did get a bit far down range once and had a long haul to get back to base against the wind. (Since my current mount is even slower I'd have to say "are you flying to get somewhere or because you want to spend the time doing it?) It was also slower to accelerate and climb.

Vis from the back was good enough, very good from the front. Grass landing was fine (One big wheel) and I never noticed any difference in flying a plywood plane.

Main benefit, at the time. It was cheaper to rent. Much cheaper.

Zlin526
17th Mar 2004, 22:56
Arclite,

Forget about it if you've got a rough field. We had to sell our RF4D because of a rough field - damn near smashed the undercarriage in everytime we tried to fly! Smooth grass is fine, or a tarmac strip.

Other than that, a perfect flying machine
Have fun if you find one....

Sensible
17th Mar 2004, 23:22
Nice piece of kit, I was going to buy into a group but it didn't work out. Cheap to maintain if on a permit but absolutely no room for touring luggage and there is a reputation for the undercarriage coming up through the floor if landed hard or on very rough field and it's expensive to fix. easy to fly at around 80kts Superb aerobatic capabilities, glides like a brick, it's really more like a light airplane although it will sort of hold altitude in a strong thermal it just sinks slower than usual. Some models at least have folding wings so easier to hangar. The one I know has a VW 1800 engine and is sometimes reluctant to restart in flight!!!!!!!!! View from the back is rubbish really and the instruments are all in the front which makes rear seat flying a spot difficult. But it's real fun as an aerobat! It's really more of a cat A airplane than a glider though! Price varies between around £26,000 to £35,000 depending on condition and if on permit or not. Brakes work ok ish! but nowhere near as good as a glider or a Slingsby.

White Shadow
18th Mar 2004, 10:51
Go for the RF5B "Sperber", made by Sportavia, Germany, if you can find one.
I flew group-owned G-KCIG based at Exeter about six years ago, and loved it

Folding wings (span 56ft/37 folded). Sportavia-Limbach SL 1700 E engine. Hoffman two-pitch + feather prop (for T.O/cruise/soaring).
Beautifully made, well equiped, easy to maintain.
Long take-off ( you don't rotate - it just flies itself off when it's ready, about 45mph), then tuck up the wheel for a gentle climb-away at about 55.
Smooth, lady-like cruise at 100 mph. (coarse pitch). Nice for going places, if you're not in a hurry. 11-15 litres mogas /hr. Great view from the front, restricted from the back. Very little room for baggage
Graceful, glider-type aerobatics. Poor soaring, but holds its own in reasonable thermals.
Landing technique is throttle back on base leg and use the spoilers to control descent rate (same hand as the throttle); approach speed 50-55, 60 with spoiilers open. You can land it on a sixpence, but a long float if your speed is too high. Needs a smooth surface, to avoid hammering the wheel.

Don't know where you could find one nowadays. Try searching G-INFO?

Worth looking for, if this sounds your cuppa.

Best wishes,
WS

grow45
18th Mar 2004, 12:36
This a/c now based at Aboyne in North East Scotland although it gets around a bit. I last saw it at East Fortune near Edinburgh last year. Very nice.

Photo here http://www.airliners.net/open.file/253307/M/

g45

Census boy
18th Mar 2004, 13:09
If you e-mail me at [email protected] I can put you in touch with syndicate members of the Fournier RF5B group operating at our gliding club (Lee) who could advise you further.

Volume
19th Mar 2004, 05:19
If interested in technical details, look here (http://cfi-ev.scram.de/tec.html)