PDA

View Full Version : Student pay as of 17 Mar

alfie1999
17th Mar 2004, 16:41
I spoke to the HR dep today reference contracts and pay for students currently allocated to courses. I mentioned the rumour that training pay was to be reduced to £14.5k plus £100pw net accom allowance. The very helpful lady assured me that initial pay rates for those on the course starting 07 June would be:

£19,046K + £100pw housing allowance

I've no reason not to take what she says at face value so here's hoping. I also rang the College to ask a couple of questions about course structure/streaming etc (making a right pain of myself already). Again, the chap I spoke to was as helpful as he could be but i got the impression that course structure/content is very much in a state of flux. What he did say was that 07 June was a definate start date for the summer cse and at the moment it looked like being a mainly aerodrome cse (few, if any, area places). He was at pains to stress that this was liable to change right up until the last minute.

Hope this helps those waiting.

hangten
17th Mar 2004, 16:55
alfie,

as far as i'm aware the pay is going to reduce to £14,500 + WAP (weekly accom payment of £100) but it's as of course 132, starting in october so you're right to believe HR,

as for the courses, state of flux is probably not a bad description - i thought that 131 (your course) was going to be the first to go straight in to the new system of an introductory course followed by a rating course (straight to aerodrome, aerodrome and approach or just area) but don't hold me to it...

good luck at the college!

hangten

Bern Oulli
17th Mar 2004, 18:21
If you are starting on the 7th June (day after D-Day!) then you will be on the introductory course followed by rating course, whichever that may be. Boy are you gonna love it! Trust me, I'm an instructor.

alfie1999
17th Mar 2004, 18:34
Bern Oulli,
Is the introductory course a streaming tool to determine to which specialization a student is more suited or is this particular course aerodrome/approach only? Is any consideration given to a students preference (I have got one but i'd be happy whichever way I was sent , providing it wasn't out of the door).

foghorn
18th Mar 2004, 10:19
Good questions Alfie, ones going through my mind too.

cheers!
foggy.

side-saddled
18th Mar 2004, 16:42
The introductory course probably is a streaming tool but students don't get too much chance to get their preference anyway.

Generally about four people out of twenty get to do the approach course, and the better your sob story about why you want to go to an airport the greater the chance you'll have of getting it.
In my experience, children and family based far away from an area centre is your best bet to get an airport job, but don't get your hopes up.

Make sure your face fits in the college as well or the door will hit you in the ass on the way out!

alfie1999
18th Mar 2004, 16:57
would much prefer to go area so hopefully i'll be in a minority of 1.

Jerricho
19th Mar 2004, 22:53
or the door will hit you in the ass on the way out

Hey!! That's my line. ;)

AlanM
19th Mar 2004, 23:07
and there speaketh someone who has his bottom spanked regularly!!

:)

pikman
19th Mar 2004, 23:21
Just as a comparison for all you guys on course 132 onwards, when I was at CATC in 1996, student pay was 14400 plus 108 per week accom allowance. Guess thats inflation for you! We all got an ADC ticket back then as well Which can prove invaluable when you get chopped.

hangten
20th Mar 2004, 10:11
alfie,

if u wanna go area then i really don't think you've got too much to be worried about - competition is for approach places as the numbers wanting this far outweigh those wanting area

enjoy!

paddygee
22nd Mar 2004, 17:25
As a newcomer , what's the difference between area and approach, and what is the likelyhood of a selfsponsored getting a decent job with a good airline first time round?

rodan
22nd Mar 2004, 17:34
Paddygee: This thread is about ATC training, not ATPL. In fact this whole forum is about ATC. You'll have more luck on the Professional Pilot Training (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14) and Interviews, Jobs & Sponsorship (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=104) fora.

paddygee
22nd Mar 2004, 18:30
I realised that just as my lad pressed the send button (that's what I am sticking to anyway !!!!!).