PDA

View Full Version : radar controllers

van der vart
17th Mar 2004, 15:12
reference to radars, what is Direction Finder? are there usually two DFs?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Mar 2004, 15:50
Sadly missing from many ATC units, but a useful tool.

It works on R/T transmissions, not radar, and basically provides an indication on a small CRT of the direction of the transmission. In some equipment this may be superimposed on the radar display. It is particularly useful at units receiving many free calls as it gives the controlelr a clue where to look when an a/c makes an initial call. The accuracy of the system was categorised and they could be employed for QGH or VDF let-downs.

In the UK there used to be a military DF service which, using bearings obtained from several units, could provide an approximate position of an aircraft. The VHF network was withdrawn at one stage but may be back in service - somebody is bound to say.

360BakTrak
17th Mar 2004, 15:58
Particularly helpful during an SRA when you lose radar contact.........did I just say that?!
It can be extremely useful for students ,or anyone for that matter, by helping them to find the airfield in reduced visibility...gets you looking in the right direction! Also good to pass to aircraft in an emergency to help reduce their workload in getting to the airfield.

spekesoftly
17th Mar 2004, 17:53
AFAIK, the UK Auto-Triangulation facility alluded to by HD, is still very much alive, and available on 121.5 (VHF) and 243.0 (UHF). Although provided and staffed by the military, it can be used by both civilian and military pilots.

vfrflyer
17th Mar 2004, 18:33
360BakTrak Particularly helpful during an SRA when you lose radar contact

Does that happen?often??

Loki
17th Mar 2004, 19:24
Also extremely useful in a primary radar only environment when you temporarily get confused as to which one is which. (old memories)

jack-oh
17th Mar 2004, 21:55
DF is a Godsend and can really help when you are trying to identify someone quickly. I know of a couple of potential nasties that have been averted by it. There was a rumour a year or so back that it was no longer going to be supported at Military airfields and if yours broke it wouldn't be fixed. Fortunately I have heard no more about its withdrawal, it is usually the only bit of kit guaranteed to work; that is unless ground radio get their hands on it for checks, only to hand it back 2 weeks latter.

Fox3snapshot
17th Mar 2004, 23:43
Napier Tower in NZ had (Has???) one and was a significant aid helping in many a bad weather/lost pilot/accident investigation type situation. ZK-SUN rings a bell????

:ugh:

van der vart
18th Mar 2004, 15:59
Heathrow Director

I might have got the term wrong. it might be Direction Vector. is it same as DF?

so are you saying that if DF is selected, then when someone call on the frequency, a line or something will appear on the radar screen to alert the controller as to who is calling?

thanks

Loki
18th Mar 2004, 17:21
Van der Vart:

The gear I was used to in my approach controlling days was the AD210, which was a separate device, mini CRT. Whenever an aircraft transmitted, a bright trace would wander from the centre of the tube out to the edge where a bearing could be read off. It wasn`t very accurate, but just very useful. Other bits of kit were much more precise, and procedural approaches could be made using them (a black art).

blondie118
18th Mar 2004, 20:27
vfrflyer

Always expecet the unexpected.

It's not happedend to me but I've only been in the job a few years. Plenty of time yet though.:D

360BakTrak
18th Mar 2004, 21:09
vfrflyer.......if you only fly VFR, as your name suggests, I should'nt worry!
I have experienced such phenomena....but obviously I regained ident through one of the approved methods.....couldnt be seen to have a flagrant dis-regard for procedures! Especially not if the end result is an aircraft meeting 'cumulus-granitus'!:{