PDA

View Full Version : Changeing frequency in a PAN

George T
16th Mar 2004, 17:29
Hi. I hope you don’t mind a humble pilot on your page but I would like to know the answer to this from the professionals as apposed to making it into a pub debate on one of the Pilot forum.

Could someone tell me what the correct procedure is for the following.

I was flying from North to South and using Cranfield for a FIS. During my flight there was a PAN call from another aircraft. What would be the correct procedure if I wanted / needed to change frequency? I know not to interrupt a MAYDAY situation but what of a PAN? I had no intention of interrupting them. I was planning to call the next station and explaining that I had not informed Cranfield I had changed frequency. (it the only thing I could think of considering the station was busy with the PAN) Luckily the aircraft got down safely and everything went back to normal. I hope I never have to hear that call again but just incase can someone please advise.

Come to think of it how do you change frequency in a MAYDAY situation?

Thanks for your help

George T

16th Mar 2004, 17:55
I think that the common sense rule applies; whatever the situation all stations cannot be expected to standby indefinately.

For VFR traffic on a FIS - if your call is simply that you are moving to the next agency, wait for a suitable gap in transmissions with the PAN aircraft and a simple "Cranfield, G-DF is QSY-ing enroute, good day" won't get anyone's back up and lets ATC know what time you left the frequency should any overdue action subsequently prove necessary.

FWA NATCA
16th Mar 2004, 19:15
George,

Not many pilots are aware of when and where they should be switched to the next facility, so this would be a rare occurance. You are correct in not interfering (calling) during the emergency, but if there is a slight break in the action you may want to key up and ask if you should switch over to the next facility.

In the event that you know that you definetly should be on the next facility, then I doubt that any controller would fault you with reporting on with the next ATC facility, and during your check on, tell them that you switched on your own because the other facility was busy with an emergency, and you might ask them to let the other facility know.

Mike
NATCA FWA

Phoenix_X
17th Mar 2004, 07:44
FWA NATCA,

I think you're talking about controlled airspace. The original question was about Cranfield, regarding Flight Information Service. In this case, it's nearly always the pilots that initiate a frequency change to another enroute frequency when they leave the region of Cranfield (or any station they receive FIS from).

So this situation would not be that rare in this case.

SwanFIS
17th Mar 2004, 09:04
George

If it occurs on Lon / Scot Info the FISO will decide if r/t silence is required for that particular incident.

After acknowledging the mayday or pan and requesting a squawk of 7700 they will broadcast "All stations XXXX information I have mayday / pan traffic stop transmitting" After it is deemed that the incident is over a broadcast of "All stations, mayday / pan ended" will be transmitted.

Obviously under those circumstances you sit on the frequency and earwig (but not jamming the frequency inadvertently!!) or QSY enroute with no call to ATC. This is quite acceptable.

With some pan calls it may not be considered necessary to impose r/t silence and under those circumstances a short call with callsign and unit that you are changing to is quite ok. Please remember to listen out before pushing the transmit button so that you do not step on a vital transmition.

I do not know if other ATC units providing a FIS would adopt the same uniform procedures that Scottish and London Infos do perhaps someone following this will tell you.

SWANFIS

Timothy
17th Mar 2004, 13:59
I have also heard:

"London Control Broadcast. All non-emergency traffic call London Control on nnn.nn"

which seemed a sensible and helpful strategem, if another frequency is available.

Timothy

George T
17th Mar 2004, 16:28
Thanks for all your help and quick responses. It’s good to know you can get help on any aviation issue somewhere on this forum.

George T