PDA

View Full Version : Rumoured vacancies??

BOOKLADY
16th Mar 2004, 13:07
Rumour has it bournemouth, gloucestershire. exeter and humberside would consider applications from suitable ATCOs but are not actively recruiting. Can anyone shed any light on that??

360BakTrak
16th Mar 2004, 13:27
I would have thought that Bournemouth would be actively recruiting.....they've lost 4 ATCO's in the past year!
I suspect the other units may be forward planning for near-future retirements perhaps?
Where did you hear the rumour?!:ooh:

BOOKLADY
16th Mar 2004, 15:45
You know how it is, i heard from a friend that heard from a friend that heard from a friend...
I had heard the same about prestwick 6 weeks before the jobs were advertised, so they're not completely unreliable sources:D

360BakTrak
16th Mar 2004, 16:18
Hmmmmm.....interesting! I also thought there might be a vacancy at Teeside as someone from there recently went to Bristol, but I suppose it may have been filled?
Are you looking to move then Booklady?!
I suppose the 'word-of-mouth' option saves expensive advertising costs but I wonder how your contacts found out those snippets of info?! I might possibly work at one of those units and i wasn't aware of invitations to apply...........wonder if my P45 is on the way...............????!!!!!:{
Shut the door behind you.................

goddammit
19th Mar 2004, 10:36
Perhaps you're on to something:hmm:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=123111

Jerricho
20th Mar 2004, 17:05
Word on the street is there is a MAJOR reason why there have been 4 resignations from Bournemouth in the last 6 months.

360BakTrak
20th Mar 2004, 18:22
Whats the 'word on the street' then Jerricho? Perhaps you know something I dont!!:confused:

niknak
20th Mar 2004, 19:30
I thought that at least 2 of the units mentioned manufactured their own atco's from internal staff to cover for the contingency of retirements.
I know that there is still a shortage of fully qualified, experienced atcos, but when it really comes down to it, are there all that many atcos who would really leave their present unit?
Take into account the cost of moving (rarely met in full by the new employer), the personal/family upheaval, the pressure of new validations, starting at the bottom of the heap all over again and the distinct possibility of all these factors going the wrong way and not working out, I think that few would genuinely want to do so.
My own unit doesn't, by any stretch of the imagination, pay the top wage, but we have a very high quality of lifestyle, its a very busy but a good place to work, and all the staff are settled with only one or two younger folk who may move on, but only to enhance their long term career.
Nearly every atco I know has a twice yearly whinge about moving on to greener pastures, but they very rarely do anything else about it.

matspart3
20th Mar 2004, 21:08
One of the units mentioned can't afford to 'manufacture it's own ATCO's' (...although home grown staff do, in my experience, make good ATCO's who are already settled in the area and familiar with local procedures.) The cost of all three ratings, taking into account the course costs, salary, cover during training etc. is in excess of £65K.

Subsequently, the afore(not)mentioned unit would ideally look to recruit fully rated, experienced ATCO's wherever possible. That said, it doesn't pay huge salaries and is bl00dy busy!!...these are hardly the right incentives to attract new recruits, but the hours are good and the cost of living is still relatively sensible.

The likelihood is that it will have to employ partially qualified ATCO's and fund the extra training required to fill future vacancies, a policy that has benefitted more than one poster to this thread already!!

One of the units mentioned is hoping to increase it's complement of ATCO's in the relatively near future and will have a requirement to fill 2 more vacancies due to retirements in the medium term, so if Booklady, or anyone else with more than 1 rating, preferably all 3, a Met. ticket, OJTI rating and a sense of humour would care to send me their CV, at least I'll have somewhere to start when I get the nod from the Board

Jerricho
20th Mar 2004, 23:42
Let's just say that people aren't feeling "fully supported". Perhaps big group hugs are needed (or better underwear!).

terry1261
21st Mar 2004, 08:39
Subsequently, the afore(not)mentioned unit would ideally look to recruit fully rated, experienced ATCO's wherever possible. That said, it doesn't pay huge salaries and is bl00dy busy!!...these are hardly the right incentives to attract new recruits, but the hours are good and the cost of living is still relatively sensible.

So is that exetmouth or humbershire??

Seriuosly though, i think niknak makes a significant point. Once one has all the ratings you're only likely to move for a better quality of life. Some may achieve this by moving away from a unit where they don't feel appreciated, OR away from the NUANCES that are ATSOCA but more often than not quality of life is directly proportional to money in pocket. :ok:

360BakTrak
21st Mar 2004, 14:39
'Quality of life is directly proportional to money in pocket'........surely that depends on cost of living?!:confused:

vfrflyer
21st Mar 2004, 16:51
quality of life is directly proportional to money in pocket

I interpreted that as whether there's any money left after you've spent out on things you want/have to.

Anyway, i would have to agree that money does become the most common driving force. I certainly wouldn't move just for a change of environment, and i certainly wouldn't take a pay cut just to get away from my current job. I just take the money and enjoy my time away from work.

I do agree with 360bt that it's a question of cost of living, which is far reaching. No doubt i could move to a better job, which would make me happier at work, but as yet i haven't found one that pays sufficient for me to have as much fun in my spare time. :O

21st Mar 2004, 17:25
Vacancy Notice [Expression of interest] on our desk at Swanwick to supply controllers to UAE in event NATS gets the contract, with proviso that some if not all current UAE staff will transfer to NATS. Welcome new brothers and sisters.....is there a local Union office out there?

Fly Through
21st Mar 2004, 21:32

Nice :ok:
Unfortunately we can't take it as gospel until the fat.......guy in a dress sings and it's down in writing.

Never thought I'd get back in to NATS via the sand pit :p

FT

Jerricho
22nd Mar 2004, 22:21
Quality of life is important, but are you seriously going to work in an environment where you don't feel you will recieve the support in both saftey and operational issues?

vfrflyer
23rd Mar 2004, 15:54
where you don't feel you will recieve the support in both saftey and operational issues

Surely there aren't any units like that!!:O

360BakTrak
23rd Mar 2004, 16:02
vfrflyer.....there ARE units like that!! I have recently left a unit that treats you just as Jerricho described....which is probably why I wasn't the only one to have left!!!...............last one out shut the door!:}

vfrflyer
23rd Mar 2004, 17:13
360baktrak

So how do unit management & LCEs get away with not addressing safety and operational issues??

Was there not suitable forum at the unit to address such issues??
Did the mats2 not make provision? Were individuals not complying with the MATS2??

If the answers to one or all of the last three was no, no wonder you left:D

robbie d
23rd Mar 2004, 18:24
Does anyone else know of any other vacancies available?

pikman
23rd Mar 2004, 22:01
Robbie d - 2 ATCO positions available at PIK scale up to circa 50K.
Closing date for applications is 24/03. Online application and job descriptions www.gpia.co.uk. LCE/assessor desirable but not essential.

vfrflyer
24th Mar 2004, 08:38
robbie d

In case you've missed it, cambridge and coventry are advertising at www.flightinternational.com

Coventry was again in the new today, re their battle with the county council!

360BakTrak
24th Mar 2004, 13:31
vfrflyer

Without going into too much detail, its a case of the unit having incredibly poor and badly thought out TOI's and an inadequate part2. If and when something occurs, however serious (or minor) its a case of a witch-hunt to find which ATCO to pin the blame on! Anyway, things may have improved since I left...........hopefully!:confused:

vfrflyer
24th Mar 2004, 14:12
its a case of the unit having incredibly poor and badly thought out TOI's and an inadequate part2

It really is quite disgusting what some unit management get away with!! Looks like leaving was the best thing to do, perhaps the management will address those issues in an attempt to attract new staff. Shame on any staff who just tolerate an inadequate part2.

Begs the question:
What exactly do SRG REGULATE?
Hmm, perhaps a new thread in the making?

360BakTrak
24th Mar 2004, 14:22
I recently heard of an SRG representative stating that the 'MATS PT 2 is'nt worth the paper it's written on'!
Hmmmmm........interesting!
And as for the previously mentioned unit.......they don't appear to be replacing the ATCO's who have left!!!!
Words such as 'ship' and 'sinking' spring to mind.....not necessarily in that order!

vfrflyer
24th Mar 2004, 14:45
I recently heard of an SRG representative stating that the 'MATS PT 2 is'nt worth the paper it's written on'!

I am fairly confident it will help the lowly ATCO out of a fix, shifting any blame upwards to the ATS provider that made the provision.

Whether that ATS provider can then pass that blame to the regulator that approved the part2, well who cares? Not this lowly ATCO:p

terry1261
24th Mar 2004, 15:02
What exactly do SRG REGULATE?

That's easy!
They regulate the inflow of consultancy revenue generated telling youthe 'MATS PT 2 is'nt worth the paper it's written on'!

That's after they've approved it of course;)

charmer
24th Mar 2004, 21:24
As far as the 'management team' are concerned, the words 'Manage' 'Way out of' and 'Paper bag' spring to mind.

But hey, if you need a job, there must be worse places...... maybe.

Jerricho
24th Mar 2004, 21:51
*Peers at Charmer*

Hmmmm...........do I know you!;)