PDA

View Full Version : London Airshow

G-SEXY
16th Mar 2004, 08:50
Anyone going to the London Airshow at Earl Court 16th-18th April??

www.londonairshow.co.uk (http://www.londonairshow.co.uk)

:D

M14P
16th Mar 2004, 09:51
I'll be there on the 16th

AIRWAY
16th Mar 2004, 10:33
Me too, plus another prooner

:}

J.A.F.O.
16th Mar 2004, 22:06
16th for me, too.

Perhaps we should all wear a red carnation to enable identification.

rotorcraig
16th Mar 2004, 22:52
I'll be there on 17th ... working on 16th :sad:

RC

cubflyer
17th Mar 2004, 18:37
Not bothering with this one. Why pay £18 to get in to see just some of the exhibitors that you could see at Popham, Aerofair, PFA, Telford, but without the aircraft.
you cant fly in and all the hassle of getting in to central London.
and it clashes with Sun+Fun too
I cant see there being many people there, so you should be able to find your mates easily!

paulo
17th Mar 2004, 20:00
A tad cynical there Mr cub!

Putting GA on centre stage at a prime exhibition centre, in one of Europe's most important capital cities, just doesn't compare with an "Enthusiasts" meet up at an obscure airfield. Besides which, those events aren't about to disappear, so it's not either/or.

Good luck to them! Both!

Kellvin
18th Mar 2004, 17:54
Geee, Mr Cub..you must be a bundle of fun to fly with.

:uhoh:

Besides, the cost was £11 if you had bought in advance.

I'll look out for the carnations on the 17th. Should be fun..I hope.

Monocock
18th Mar 2004, 18:16
Cubflyer

You miserable git.

futurshox
18th Mar 2004, 21:48
At least being indoors, it might have half a chance of not being rained off... *eyes weather forecast for this weekend with a grimace*

I'll be going, not sure which day yet.

pilotwolf
19th Mar 2004, 04:43
We're supposed to be going....

Desperately trying to win or bum some tickets though :)

AerBabe
19th Mar 2004, 07:43
Euw... not sure I want 'bummed' tickets. :oh:

KCDW
19th Mar 2004, 08:06
G-SEXY - there's a nice PA28 G-SEXX at Headcorn - you're not affiliated are you?

ToryBoy
19th Mar 2004, 08:30
I was wondering that about the 172 at Thruxton G-SEXI

Megaton
19th Mar 2004, 11:12
I'll be there too but working for some of the days. Not quite sure where I'll be working yet but, put it this way, I won't need to wear a red carnation.

pilotwolf
19th Mar 2004, 22:09
Euw... not sure I want 'bummed' tickets.

Aren't we fussy! Suppose that comes from being in the US :)What I meant was to aquire some tickets gratis.

:)

Megaton
22nd Mar 2004, 19:54
Anyone fancy meeting in the bar for a beer at some point? There appears to be a Breitling bar and a Guinness Fly! Bar although I have no idea what the exclamation mark is for.

The Nr Fairy
22nd Mar 2004, 20:11
I'll probably be working there all three days. Look for a big burger van with the piccie of a back of a flying helmet on it, and I'll be there.

If I'm not, then I've obviously decided to turn down the kind offer of work !

stiknruda
22nd Mar 2004, 20:55
I shan't be going as london really is not my idea of a fun venue and has been pointed out already, I can't fly in.

However, I do believe that JadeAir are putting on a series of mini-workshops concerning the Superior XP, basically a PMA manufactured conglomeration of Lycoming bits that when put together Meccano fashion gives you an O360 or an IO360.

I would be v interested in any feedback from attendees as my current build project continues apace but has no donk to strap on the front.

Stik

paulo
22nd Mar 2004, 21:59
Ham (and all),

Bar meet sounds good. What day are you going?

Megaton
23rd Mar 2004, 06:40
I'll be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. PM me closer to the time for a beer venue!

skydriller
23rd Mar 2004, 10:08
Hi All,

I will be in the UK over this weekend and have considered going, I have also heard that this particular show is not aimed solely at those who fly, but also the general non-flying public. Does anyone have any more info on this aspect of the show, as was considering going with the old man, who does not fly, though he does have a passing interest in aviation.....

Regards, SD..

PS.. with regards to the beer meet-up, it will probably be the Sunday if we go.

Penguina
23rd Mar 2004, 12:07
smurph and I may be attending on the 17th, though beer is a nono given that we'll be resting up for the London Marathon the following day. Ppruners who know our faces could and come and support us (not physically :uhoh: ) if it's a nice day on the Sunday - it's a great atmosphere, with the live music and beer stations for the crowds.

skydriller
23rd Mar 2004, 12:26
Penguina,

I take it from your post that the Sunday may not be the best day to go to the Show if the London Marathon is on that day - I for one had no idea this was the case. I seem to remember Marathons being in the order of 27 miles.... as one that does not live there, is that quite alot of London to close off? I could well switch to the Saturday 17th now, if I go.

I wish you luck with the Marathon Run,

Regards, SD..

Penguina
23rd Mar 2004, 12:44
Ta skydriller.

The marathon doesn't go near Earls Court, it stays in East London mainly, so you won't be trampled by thousands of sweaty grim-faced runners if you do go Sunday. London is a very big, sprawling kind of capital; also the 26.2 miles double up on themselves.

However, from the point of view of public transport, it will be busier because of the marathon. And I wouldn't even think about driving, personally (though I know how wedded some people are to their cars.:) )

P

Whirlybird
23rd Mar 2004, 17:12
I'm probably going, most likely on the Sunday, and it would be great to meet up.

There's a leaflet in the new PILOT offering half price entrance if you take it along. :ok:

ratsarrse
3rd Apr 2004, 07:35
I'm considering heading down to this on Sat 17th. The decision has been somewhat influenced by the arrival of £48 of rail vouchers (compensation for a botched rail journey last month) and a leaflet offering half-price entry.

Anyone else going? I notice that there is going to be a bar...;)

skydriller
4th Apr 2004, 00:18
Yep, as I will be back in blighty, Im going with SD Senior. Have decided on the Saturday myself if anyone wants to meet up there.

There was a thread on this a week or so ago which also mentioned the London Marathon, maybe someone (BRL?) could merge these two threads?

Regards, SD.

ratsarrse
4th Apr 2004, 11:17
You know, I searched for previous threads on this and came up empty handed. Doh!. I have now found the previous thread: London Airshow (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122872)

This is why I don't usually start my own topics...

rotorcraig
4th Apr 2004, 12:08
I'm going on Saturday, booked over the internet a while back to get a saving on the door price ... seems that they're practically giving the tickets away now :confused:

Always up for the Bar!

RC

Keef
4th Apr 2004, 13:53
Not going (will be flying in SoCal).

Penguina - why does your avatar not show on my machine? All the others do.

LowNSlow
5th Apr 2004, 05:17
Probably Sunday for me and Little LowNSlow.

Penguina
5th Apr 2004, 12:35
Keef -

I'm sorry, I've tried to work out what you're talking about and if an avatar is something I ought to know as a pilot then please overlook this on the grounds that I'm young and inexperienced...

...but what exactly are you referring to? Or, to put it another way, what are you on about?

:confused:

P

AerBabe
5th Apr 2004, 12:53
Avatar - 'ickle piccy under your name.

Penguina
5th Apr 2004, 16:23
Yes, I've worked that out now - thanks.

And, according to smurph, it is to do with the weekend games that IT staff play in his firm.

jamierwilliams
6th Apr 2004, 17:03
i will be going

LowNSlow
8th Apr 2004, 12:55
Now not going, am being whisked away for the weekend:( :ok: :( :ok:

Whirlybird
10th Apr 2004, 10:33
Right folks, do any of the people going on Sunday want to meet up? I'm going, I think Pink Aviator is, Aerbabe may be, not sure who else.

There is a plan of the place in the new Flyer mag. There are two bars, the Breitling Sky Bar and the Guinness Sky Bar. I'd suggest we meet in the Breitling Sky Bar at 12.00 noon . I will try to remember to take my name badge from the last Gatbash so that you can recognise me...it says "Whirlybird" on it, unsurprisingly. If I forget it, I'm female, smallish, and have shortish dark hair with red highlights. And I may be wearing a black leather flying jacket...depends on the weather though.

So who's coming?

Flying Lawyer
10th Apr 2004, 12:51
See you in the Breitling Bar mid-day Sunday. :D

Tudor Owen

Phoenix09
10th Apr 2004, 13:29
I shall be there. If anybody else is going on the Sunday don't forget that the London Marathon is on as well. Both public transport and the roads in and around London may be a bit busier than usual for a Sunday.

I shall run the marathon and then just carry on down to Earls Court... :D :D

LowNSlow
10th Apr 2004, 15:15
Now going again!! Being whisked away mid-week instead :ok: See y'all in the Breitling Bar at 12:00 on Sunday.

Charlie Zulu
10th Apr 2004, 17:23
I would go to this London Airshow but London twice in the same week is a bit too much for me...

Yes I'm off to the US Embassy outing on the 21st of April for the issuance of an M-1 visa. A great four hour wait (on a good day) with a good book on my 27th birthday (oooh I'm getting old, the bones are creeking already).

Otherwise I would have gone to Earls Court.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Pink_aviator
10th Apr 2004, 20:40
Well I'm going ,but may have to be in disguise , I case I GET bashed . teehee

THE PINKSTER

futurshox
11th Apr 2004, 13:36
I'm going on the Sunday now. I'll try and spot y'all in the Sky Bar, if you don't mind a low-post-count Ppruner joining in... !

Circuit Basher
12th Apr 2004, 17:14
There is a vague possibility that I may come to join the masses!!

I'm staying south that weekend (to try to sort out longer term accommodation in Sarfend), but there don't seem to be many estate agents open on Sundays in the area!! Seems pointless just moping around the B&B all day!!

May see you next week!

Megaton
12th Apr 2004, 18:22
Come and say hello. I'll be somewhere near the RAF recruiting stand on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

AerBabe
13th Apr 2004, 12:50
I suppose heckling would be unsuitable.
Perhaps we should just get him drunk instead! ;)

BeauMan
14th Apr 2004, 12:27
I can only make the Saturday I'm afraid. Any Saturday attendees like the idea of a beer? Breitling Bar at noon (there I go, stealing someone else's idea... :rolleyes: )

rotorcraig
14th Apr 2004, 14:54
Any Saturday attendees like the idea of a beer? Breitling Bar at noonWill try to be there!

Flying Lawyer's giving a seminar at 1pm [Sunday]Sounds like a useful session ... any chance of "speakers notes" or some other form of summary after the event, for us Saturday'ers that are going to miss it?

RC

Pat Malone
14th Apr 2004, 20:32
For the Saturday attendees there's a seminar that will be particularly worth going to - Les Brodie will be telling how he went from taking a trail lesson at Biggin Hill to becoming a Concorde training captain, and giving tips on how to cross the divide from GA to BA.

BeauMan
14th Apr 2004, 22:53
Pat, that sounds well worth a listen. Any idea what time he's on?

Heliport
15th Apr 2004, 06:18
List of seminars, with day and time:

here (http://www.londonairshow.co.uk/sem.html).

BeauMan
15th Apr 2004, 09:11
Thanks for that Heilport. Looks like a good one to go and listen to :)

So... I guess the Saturday beer RV is now moving to 1300 in the Breitlings Bar then...? ;)

fireflybob
15th Apr 2004, 11:18
I am planning on going Friday if any fellow Ppruners want to meet up for a G & T!

bar shaker
16th Apr 2004, 08:07
I'm working on the BMAA stand at the Air Sports Area today and tomorrow (fri + sat).

Say hello if you are passing:D

Whirlygig
16th Apr 2004, 12:38
Hi,

I have a spare ticket ticket for Sunday if anybody's interested. Cost me nowt so PM me if you're interested and can think of a way of me getting it to you.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Circuit Basher
16th Apr 2004, 14:36
Check your PMs, Whirlygig!

Flying Lawyer
17th Apr 2004, 17:17
AerBabe

Well really!! :eek:
There I was thinking it would be a good opportunity to buy you a drink and have a chat and I find you're planning to get me drunk before my talk!

(BTW, good idea - it might make the talk more interesting. :D)

paulo
17th Apr 2004, 19:29
I went today - enjoyed the seminar stuff. The talk by CAA man David Cockburn was interesting. The takeoff with a steep climb turning into a spin drew some gasps. :eek:

Talking about weather, he showed a great chart that maps out precip. & cloudbase forecasts. Then asked how many people would find that useful (everyone raises there hands)... then points out that if you pay 60 quid you can have it - it's in the Met office subscription package.

Guess what I just subscribed to! :ok:

I also picked up a two year sub to Pilot, 80 quid, that included a free Sekonda pilot watch. Nice looking watch it is too. Bargain!

Ditching tank demos were interesting.

737 sim is totally sold out though - even for tomorrow. Fly a beer in the Breitling bar instead... :)

Ripline
17th Apr 2004, 19:49
LT willing (the Tube's out where I'm starting from) I'll be there as well!

Ripline

WestWind1950
17th Apr 2004, 20:34
and I'm sitting here bored... pity I couldn't make it... but I warn you all! some day I'll make it :E

Westy

Pat Malone
17th Apr 2004, 20:53
Today was fantastic, even better than Friday. Les Brodie's seminar was packed out - there were 80 seats in the room, perhaps 30 people standing and more pressed six deep outside the door trying to hear what he was saying. There was a queue out of the gates in the morning, and every exhibitor I spoke to said they'd done far better than they expected. At the AOPA stand we've signed more than 100 new members. We're told that Sunday is expected to be slightly quieter, but all the seminars seem to be extraordinarily popular, and I suspect Tudor Owen's will be the most useful of all.

fireflybob
18th Apr 2004, 00:48
Yes I went today and it was brilliant. Les Brodie's talk was excellent and the information on Concorde operation was rivetting - shame they had to stop it operating.

I thought the show was well organised - plenty of space, lots of variety and the catering was good and reasonably priced.

Let's hope this becomes a regular event on the aviation calendar.

Ludwig
18th Apr 2004, 15:58
I went on Friday on some freebie tickets - bloody glad they were free as I thought it a pathetically small selection of, well not a lot really, Scabair, Oxford, life insurance salesman, a few not very exciting aircraft which I can see at any airfield, a couple of book stalls and flight sim games. I would probably have been happy to pay a fiver tops to look round, but frankly why the hell I should pay to go and look at someone's trade stand utterly defeats me.

As for calling it Fly! The London Airshow, when Fly is about the only way you cannot get their, well that just stupid init.

All in all, £120 on train fares from the midlands plus the cost of the tickets, no thanks.

ps £10 a glass for Champagne:yuk:

ozplane
18th Apr 2004, 16:13
Were you at the same show Ludwig? I don't think you'll see the new Magnum at your local field yet and it was good to get close and personal with the Diamond Star. Our very own "Flying Lawyer's " seminar was worth the price of admission alone and he even gave pprune a heavy plug!. I had a particular headset query and it was a good forum to hear what the various suppliers had to say. You may of course be a professional show organiser but as a casual visitor I thought it was a very good first effort.

ToryBoy
18th Apr 2004, 16:13
I personally thought it was very good.

Bearing in mind this was the first time the event had been held I must say I was impressed.

Seemed strange seeing an AA5 parked outside though!!!

cessna l plate
18th Apr 2004, 16:24
Well, what can I say. A superb show.
Now we've dispensed with the sarcasm... as had already been said, charging to enter a sales arena for someone to sell you something is a nice little earner.

I'm glad I went, and have to say that Les Brodie was excellent, a gentleman of the skies in fact.

As for the rest of it, a simulator sold out in minutes, lots of insurance men, and a few planes with the cowilngs removed.

However, the worst for me was the venue. Why do the powers that be in aviation think that those of us North of Watford Gap still race whippets, and fly kites? (want the proof? have a look at the CAA safety evening agenda for this year, and see how many are coming North, in comparison to the South)

From Manchester, I had 3 1/2 hours drive to the outskirts, a 20 minute bus ride to LHR, and 40 mins on the tube each way!! A long day indeed.
Why not consider the NEC for the future. Outstanding communication links for eveyone in the British Isles. An airport next door for those wishing to fly (not GA I know). And the best bit is... it's a whole lot bigger, the displays could be better promoted, proper workshops on the matters that interest us, as opposed to a seminar theatre, next to a guy with a microphone at a ditching tank!!

To sum up, not a bad show, but I doubt I will go to this amount of effort next year, and as my school report used to say COULD DO BETTER!

pilotwolf
18th Apr 2004, 18:46
Not impressed!

Glad my ticket was free - would have been really Pi$$ed off if I d had to pay to shop and be ignored. Took me all of 30 mins to walk around whole show.

PW

Edited to add: Thanks to PAN for the opportunity to go though.

Southern Cross
18th Apr 2004, 18:50
I went on Friday and was underwhelmed. Aerofair is a far better venue and, surprise surprise, a decent amount of aircraft to poke about plus a flying display. Seminars and dunking pool aside, Fly! had nothing that Aerofair doesn't have whereas the reverse is not true...

Shan't be bothering to go to FLy! next year, if there is a next year...

WestWind1950
18th Apr 2004, 19:10
@ToryBoy

did you get to meet the Pink? :E

Westy

paulo
18th Apr 2004, 21:37
It's a good start.

GA and private flying is off in the fringes of the public consciousness as a leisure pursuit.

There's definitely something to be said for an indoor show - it's not everyone's cup of tea, but neither is trekking out to a windy airfield. Although most of the visitors were already "involved", there were definitely a reasonable number who aren't. A show of hands in the seminar I was in suggested that 25% weren't flying. Convert just a few and it's good news.

And a sales event? Well, that's what shows are. That's normality - the boat show, the motor show, they are all the same. And that's not a bad thing.

Go to a field event and for joe schmoe it's just entertainment. "Hey look at all those people doing stunts! What daredevils!". In an exhibition, it's wall-to-wall "you want to fly, you want to buy".

If the sales environment brings more people to flying, all the better. Just imagine - airfield, clubs, competing heavily for a growing business.

It's a good step, and no it doesn't replace field avents. It's a good thing for private flying. My biggest criticism would be: not enough marketing. I hope they can get many more visitors next year. AND do an even better job of selling. After all, what is good for GA? Less buying or more?

Hairyplane
18th Apr 2004, 21:50
Ladies and gentlemen,

Wearing my other hat (well, my business has to fund my flying!) ) I attend trade shows regularly and know whats involved.

I went today (Sun) with freebie tickets courtesy of my dear friends Mistral Aviation ( I promise to buy a new DR400 in 06!)

Hats off to the organisers. A bold decision indeed and a logistical nightmare.

The hall was packed with aircraft that had to be dismantled, roaded, rigged and - when you just want to have a beer - you have to do the whole thing again in reverse.

I came away with a very positive feeling about this show. I talked to the exhibitors and didn't find one without a smile or something positive to say.

Tudor Owens seminar was a knockout - respect to you M'lud and please defend me if ever I am in the siera hotel one tango.

All in all a great day out and congratulations to organisers and exhibitors alike for having the b@lls to pitch in on the first show.

Next year will be a cracker, mark my words. If I were an exhibitor I would worry if I haven't booked my 05 space already.

This is set to be one of Europes leading GA shows. A piece of cake to get to on the tube - leave your cars behind.

Look out for it on 05 and make a note in your diaries.

Even the catering was excellent!

HP

Ripline
18th Apr 2004, 22:43
Well, I'm glad that I made the effort - the Pprune Meet at the Breitling Bar was the first one that I've participated in and a jolly nice bunch you all are! To have Flying Lawyer, Aerbabe, Whirlygig, Whirlybird, Low'n'Slow, Brookland AND The Pink One (these are the only names that "stuck" - apologies to the others) all in one group was an uplifting experience and I believe that there was some sort of air show going on as well.......

....which was the first exhibition where I didn't feel herded, shoved and jostled, all the exhibitors were polite and interested and the food and drinks weren't priced off the scale. Learned a lot and FL's talk was worth the (reduced) price of admission alone.

My journey back was "interesting" as well. The underground substitute bus had me as its only passenger and dropped me off outside my parent's house as it was raining heavily. A tad better than the standard Tube service I fancy!

What else, ah yes, renewed the Pilot subscription at the Show and walked away with my "free" watch in my sticky little paw.

Top day... :O

Ripline

Datcon
19th Apr 2004, 00:03
I walked by the Britetling Bar but couldn't work out who the PPrune guys were. Can we come up with some way of identifying each other the next time to help newby like me?
The show was good for a first time. I was disappointed about the 737 sim. There was no chance of getting a go if you turned up on Sunday because it was fully booked up by people who were there yesterday.
Definately no regrets about going. Flying Lawyer's talk on its own was worth more than it cost to get in to the show. I couldn't get in to the audatorium and I was in the crowd at the back. Nobody was bothered this time but next year they should have more seats.

ToryBoy
19th Apr 2004, 05:59
WestWind......

:E

AerBabe
19th Apr 2004, 07:37
couldn't work out who the PPrune guys were The rowdy lot in the corner. :O

A great first show, I thought. All the main players were there, with enough staff that we weren't kept waiting long at any point. Also, as Ripline said, not so packed that we were pushed around or had to fight to see anything.

Nice to see a few 'big names' there as well. Not just our own Flying Lawyer (who turned the tables & tried to get me drunk :oh: ) but Mike Bannister and... erm, some other people. :O

Megaton
19th Apr 2004, 08:35
Did any of the ppruners who attended the show have a look at the plastic Hawk at the entrance to the show? If so, shame on you for not introducing yourself properly. :p

Pegasus912
19th Apr 2004, 09:28
What is it with the RAF and their plastic airplanes???

I quite enjoyed the show all in all, with the seminars certainly being the highlight of the day. The sessions I attended were all interesting, and Flying Lawyer even managed to captivate my non-flying girlfriend (who’d been asleep up to that point!)
I particularly liked the bit where the small bearded CAA bureaucrat attempted to defend some other CAA department from the justified slating from Mr. Owen!
Splendid! and worth every penny!

LowNSlow
19th Apr 2004, 11:06
I thought it was sensible to have the show in London, apologies to Cessna 1 Pilot, but it's a good place to start as the majority of the exhibitors seemed to be from Darn Sarf. If it does get bigger then a move to the NEC might be necessary.
It would have been nice to have more representation of the second hand end of GA but I doubt that would be possible due to the expense of bring the aricarft into London. Still, it was nice to see somebody with the gumption to organise an event which goes a long way towards putting GA into the public eye.
Hopefully it will be bigger next year and I will certainly go if only for the chatting at the Breitling Bar! We managed to maintain the Pprune tradition of being amongst the last to leave.........
It was nice to see the familiar faces of the Ppruners again with a few new ones as well including the
Pink One, Flying Lawyer , Whirlygig and a few others whose names have been wiped from my memory by the post show beers. :sad:

Excellent talk by FL but a dedicated room for the seminars would be better especially if it was further away from the ditching pool!

S-Works
19th Apr 2004, 11:11
A great concept and I hope it keeps going but a logistical nightmare to get to from the Midlands. No local airfield access and crap public transport and don't even start me on the roads.

At least the NEC is easy to get to. The London Dive Show at Earls Court used to be the centre of the diving calander events but poor access in London meant the NEC is now the leader.

I think if the organisers of Fly want to attract a larger audiance then they will need to choose a site that is accessable to all and preferably with an airfield near by.

If the minibus service that was promised and not delivered from White Waltham had been available it might have made it more attractive.

But I am glad everyone had a good time.

left_hand_drive
19th Apr 2004, 13:51
Generally, I was a tad disappointed with the event after attending (and paying for) the preview day on Friday. Starting with the question "would you like a programme?" when I walked in... Yes I would like one, but not for £5 (I've already paid £20!!!). The security there was also debatable... could I check your bag? I thought he was a cloakroom attendant. I opened my bag and told him what was in it but he didn't really care. He managed a nod and I continued into the show.

I always start these things with a walk-around to see who's there and what stands are worth spending time at. Didn't take long. I was surprised at the number of aircraft (and pensioners) there, always good to have a look-around but I was scuppered everytime by these old boys, clambering round the cockpits, presumably with money to burn from their pensions because there were signs everywhere saying "do not open door" unless you want to buy one, of course. I got fed up of trying to get a look-in and watched the life-raft demonstration - pretty good, especially when he almost failed to make it aboard! :}

Highlights of the show: The short Utterly Butterly girl, very nice thank you. :ok: Venue, although not the best of places to travel to, there were plenty of things to do outside the show.
Lowlights: Rip-off food and drink prices. Insurance salesmen. :rolleyes:

Hansard
20th Apr 2004, 12:14
Several flyers have told me they bought equipment, clothing, etc at "bargain" show prices from the pilot supplies shops but I didn't think the prices were any different. There were life jackets at £25 cheaper than the catalogue price at one stand, but that only reduced them to the price advertised by other suppliers. One well-known shop wasn't accepting the "£10 off" vouchers it publishes in all the aviation mags - only for use at their retail outlets other than the retail outlet at the show, apparently.

Flying Lawyer
20th Apr 2004, 15:39
Thank you very much for your kind comments here, in the 'Pink' thread and in e-mails/PMs. It's always a little tricky knowing how to pitch a 'legal' talk to a 'non-legal' audience and your feedback is much appreciated.

I enjoyed having the opportunity to meet quite a few fellow Ppruners in the Breitling Bar and, if I hadn't had another commitment in the evening, I'm sure I would have been in the group who stayed until the show closed. :)

Thanks again.

Tudor

PS:
I've had a few messages from Ppruners who weren't at the show asking if I'd post my lecture notes here. I'd be happy to do so, but I didn't use any notes. Sorry.

rotorboater
20th Apr 2004, 15:46
I can't say the show was great but as I had a free ticket then it wasn't that bad either but with the numbers of people there I can't see it being held again next year, well not in Earles Court anyway.

As to bargins at the stands, I was expecting really big stands with loads of choice of gear etc and as anyone who went knows, the main trade stands were tiny and packed and you had to q up to be ripped off, sorry I mean purchase a bargain! Actually to be fair to mr Mendhelson I did get a new garmin 196 for £550 against list price of £642 so I guess that goes towards paying for getting there.