PDA

View Full Version : Paint Weight Question

BA777
15th Mar 2004, 19:52
Evening all ,

I was just wondering how airlines figure out how much a new coat of paint would cost to apply. For example, does blue paint cost more than red? What about the weight too - are certain colours more expensive?

Is there any way at all to actually figure out the amount of paint and the cost needed to paint say a 737 in a certain scheme for example?

Cheers,

Henry

411A
16th Mar 2004, 01:04
Example follows,

L1011-1,

Strip and paint, $113,460

Scuff and paint $66,645

Both...all one color, wings not painted.

Paint weight, 840 pounds.

EOM

BA777
16th Mar 2004, 08:38
Hi EOM,

Do certain colours cost more than others though?

So say BA were to paint their belly pink instead of blue, would it cost them more to paint it pink than blue?

Cheers

Henry

BigHitDH
16th Mar 2004, 08:55
Many moons ago, I used to work in a place where we would reguarly order pigments in various colours.

Some colours are more expensive than others, for example, lead-free yellow is in the order of 10x the cost of yellow containing lead. Reds were cheap, greens were expensive.

The finish also plays a role. Metallic finishes for example, or heat resistant finishes are more expensive than their "normal" counterparts.

I think however that overall, the price of the paint itself is not the main consideration, it's all the prep work (can you imagine stripping and masking a 747?!!), man hours and aircraft down-time that cost the big money.

av8boy
16th Mar 2004, 18:03
Could be wrong, but I think 411A was using "EOM" as an acronym for "End Of Message..."

Anyway, I HOPE that's what it was. It plays nicely with 411A's generally declarative style. :O

Dave

747FOCAL
16th Mar 2004, 18:39
Back in 2000 I must have watched over 20 727s get painted at Hamilton on Tuscon airport. It took the main guy and two helpers around 3-4 days to completely strip and paint one of them. They pour this crap on the airplane and the majority of the paint just runs off onto the ground. Then they get out the scrub brushes and more goup and scrub the rest off. This took maybe day and half. The main guy would start taping while the two helpers were still scrubbing. Then the painting started. About another day maybe more if lots of logos and stripes. I talked to the guy, he said his cost was around 30,000 grand for paint, tape, goup, lease of the space at hamilton and the two helpers. the rest was his. He charged around 60,000 grand for plain jane. Upwards of 80 grand for intricate. One of the other guys I knew there said this guy had more money than the rest of Tucson Combined. :E

I also saw a paint job get wrecked at Miami Intl because the dumbass that was painting it forgot to call the tower to ask what the percent humidity was and the paint ended up sucking up moisture and getting all pitted and runny. It was a 727 for Pan Am. Yes the guy got fired.

BA777
16th Mar 2004, 21:30
Hi Dave,

Ah yes, i stand corrected lol, whoops!

Thanks to everyone for their help, please continue :)

Henry

BA777
17th Mar 2004, 19:34
One more request if i may :)

I guess, in theory, that the lighter the paint, the lighter the airplane. Therefore it leaves it able to carry more payload? So would having, for example, a coat of a deep green cost more in terms of fuel burn than a sky blue?

Cheers

Henry

747FOCAL
17th Mar 2004, 20:53
That is the reason you don't see to many black airplanes. Besides making the interior very fecking hot, it is very heavy paint and costs in fuel burn.

I can't remember the number, but American actually has a stat on how much money they save with polished vs painted planes.

Here is one to think about...... The avg plane has around 200-300 pounds of dirt and grime clinging to the surface of the entire airplane right before washing. Think about how much that costs to fly around.

PAX
17th Mar 2004, 22:33
Years ago I worked for FedEx, back when they had the a/c painted purple and white.

A study was conducted re wieght of the purple paint and cost of hauling it around and I seem to remember a figure of around $1k per Atlantic crossing. And with the number of a/c they have it adds up very fast.

End result white with purple tails only now.

Hope that helps.

BA777
18th Mar 2004, 16:26
Haha thanks guys, Air France must have quite a bill then :ok:

Henry