PDA

View Full Version : Communicating for Safety

Scott Voigt
14th Mar 2004, 17:02
Hello All;

Just a shameless plug for an aviation safety conference that NATCA is putting on for pilots and controllers. This years conference will be near the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport (third busiest in the world for aircraft movements). You can go to www.safety.natca.net to see about the conference.

We will have panelists from industry who will talk about safety issues that we deal with on a day to day basis as well programs that are either coming in the near future or that we are dealing with now.

Along with line controllers and line pilots on the panels, we will have the new Vice Presidents of Enroute, Terminal, Operations etc... there to answer your questions. On the last day there will be a panel made up of John Carr (President of NATCA) and Russ Chew the new COO of the new ATO (Air Traffic Organisation). We are planning on some other major players in the aviation world too, but are awaiting their schedules.

The conference fee is only $30 for the two days. That gets you in the door for the conference and pays for two continental breakfasts each day of the conference as well as two full lunches and then two receptions with enough food to pretty much serve as dinner if you so desire <G>. Not to bad for $30 or about 25 Euros. There will also be some vendors there to show off their products...

If you have any questions or are interested in attending, please feel free to contact me... The one thing that really sets this conference apart from many others around the world is the abillity to not only listen to the experts or officials from the US aviation community, but to also ASK questions of them. Our format is to allow for about 10 minute presentations from the panel members and then leave a LOT of time for questions and answers from the floor. It gets quite interesting from time to time. It also offers the policy makers a chance to hear what is REALLY happening in the United States National Airspace System. Something that they rarely get to find out. When posed with questions of why, they state well that is not the way it works, but they soon find out that what the policy makers have an idea about is quite often not meeting with reality....

Make your voice heard or at the very least, learn from a very interesting perspective...

Oh before I forget, if you do intend to participate, when you contact the hotel for lodging, advise them that it is for Commuicating for Safety. It will get you the lower rate as well as give you a chance to get a room. We pretty much have the hotel sold out <G>...

regards

Scott H. Voigt
NATCA Southwest Region
Safety and Technology Chairman

PPRuNe Radar
14th Mar 2004, 23:15
Plug away ... I know the great work that you and the NATCA guys do Scott ... and would heartily recommend anyone to take advantage of the opportunity to attend :ok:

wlatc
15th Mar 2004, 16:07
I attended a Communicating for Safety conference a number of years ago in San Diego, CA and enthusiastically recommend it. In addition to great speakers (the head of RTCA and the co-pilot of the PanAm 747 at Tennerife), interesting topics and controller/pilot forums, it's a great place to meet and greet controllers and pilots. This is the sort of event that points out the value of the dormant SF-160 program, as I wouldn't have been able to attend without it.

- Rich Smith
http://atcea.com