PDA

View Full Version : Unit Visits (for the technical interview) (Merged)

Someone_Else
13th Mar 2004, 19:43
Having just been invited to attend the interview, my mind is moving on to arranging some unit visits.I am hoping there might be some people out there to help me on this!

I live in Edinburgh, so I was thinking about contacting them. Also, it would be good to visit oceanic and finally, I would like to go down to Manchester or London to visit a bigger operation.

Whats the best way of making contact? There was nothing in the letter - I thought there was going to be a list of contacts!

What's the best time? For me the weekends would be good, but that may not be suitable.

Is visiting three places overkill?

I have almost two months to cram as much knowledge in, so I have time to plan all this in - What's your thoughts?

Barnaby the Bear
13th Mar 2004, 20:50
Someone_Else,

You will probably find that on weekends there are just fewer admin staff about. But I am sure someone else (not you obviously) will be able to show you around.
If you give HR a call they will probably be able to help you with contacts.
As for visiting loads of units; getting a broad view can't be a bad thing. If you visit Scottish, there probably isn't a dire need to visit another unit such as Swanwick (LACC) or West Drayton (LTCC).
Good luck with the interview :8

tigtog
14th Mar 2004, 02:19
Hi,

Really poor that you were'nt supplied with a contact list so you should def contact HR and get this.

You can never visit too many units before your interview but to be honest a visit to Edinburgh or Glasgow tower and then perhaps one to Scottish Centre would be enough. Scottish is a bigger operation than Manch anyway and i'll be a lot cheaper to go to Prestwick !! (travel wise I mean)

Although not doing any harm, going to West Drayton or Swanwick won't necessarily gain you any extra "brownie points" at the interview.

Hope the helps

TT

Inverted81
14th Mar 2004, 03:58
Hi,
Congratulations!! I've been invited to interview as well. i was given three weeks notice!!!! HR weren't much help... asked for a contact list but told me i wouldn't have time to visit anywhere before... little did they know!!!! I myself have phoned Luton and west drayton and i have both visits next week.... says it all really eh? Get the contact details of the unit and ask the question.... i'm sure they'll be more than willing to help. I've found that weekdays are best to visit as there are generally more admin staff around to help with visits etc.... let us know how you get on! Wish me luck!!
Chris F :\

Someone_Else
14th Mar 2004, 07:10
Thanks guys for your response, I did think it a bit strange there were no contact lists, but it wont take me to long to hunt them down - perhaps that's the first test!

Chris - 3 weeks eh? Sheesh, thats lots of notice! I seem to have got a way with 2 months! Good luck with it, you will know your success or fail before I have even been for the interview!

Cheers - any more thoughts, keep em coming!

Craig

Smoggie
14th Mar 2004, 21:10
Good luck for your interviews Someone_Else and chrisf. Got my interview on Wed. I got three weeks notice too.

When I rang HR I was told we couldn't visit any units as we didn't have security clearance. Fortunately took some notes when I got a chance to visit LHR and LATCC last year, so I'm hoping they'll get me through!

PPRuNe Radar
14th Mar 2004, 23:06
When I rang HR I was told we couldn't visit any units as we didn't have security clearance.

Politely put .... what a lot of bollocks :)

We have visits by Womens Institutes, Round Tables, etc, etc ... are they all security cleared ??

Most people on here work at the units concerned and can make arrangements ... or we know people at other units who can do so. I wouldn't believe everything that HR tell you ... and I mean that on the inside as well as the outside ;)

In fact, received this yesterday, so PPRuNe can help make a difference ....

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you after the visit but I just wanted to express my gratitude for the tour. When I mentioned my visit to XXXX in the interview, the interviewer seemed quite impressed at my enthusiasm!

I was greeted this morning by an A4 letter with a NATS logo on my doormat. I've been accepted and should start sometime in 2005.

Anyway, many thanks again, maybe we'll meet on the job sometime.

Congratulations to our successful PPRuNer ..... and Good Luck to those who follow :ok:

OB1ChrisOB
15th Mar 2004, 14:06
I've been given the same security issue story from HR when I rang West Drayton last week - so frustrating.

Fortunately I was lucky enough to spend a few hours at EGLC (London City) last week so much thanks to those guys in the tower. They were very accomodating and were more than happy to answer my questions about NATS, the interview process and the job.:ok:

Having seen a tower aspect, I would really like to see some area and approach, so if someone knows a good back door into West Drayton or the inpenetrable Swanwick before the end of April, I would be most pleased to hear about it.

Am I right in thinking that some of the larger airports, e.g. Manchester have approach on site?

Also, am I best to ring airport information to forward me to the tower or take the numbers for ATC out of the AIP?

Furthermore...i'm on a roll now...:D....(and I have read the pre-interview posts) but if anyone can reccommend reading material, charts, dvds etc.. that will help me and the others here in the interview, that would be top!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!!

Fidgell
15th Mar 2004, 16:20
If anyone wants to visit Manchester ACC and Tower, get in touch and i'll sort it out personally for you.... we're always willing to accomodate new recruits for visits.

Good Luck to all in the process, and beyond!

Turn It Off
16th Mar 2004, 12:29
I seem to remember the only DVD i watched was Die Hard 2 - the night before my second interview!! - It must have worked coz I'm in now.

When i went through i was sent a reading list for my technical interview :

Title Author Publisher
Air Traffic Control Graham Duke Allen Ian

Air Traffic Control Ann Paylor Allen Ian
Today & Tomorrow

UK Air Traffic Control David Graves Airlife Publishing
A Layman's guide
3rd Edition

Personally i found the later to be the most useful. On the same letter i was passed a list of establishments that i could visit - How do they expect you to know the detais of who to contact etc, as many recruits have little or no aviation experiance. I certainly had never heard of the AIP until i started at CATC let alone know how to get a phone number out the thing. ( Truth be known I probably still struggle )

Hope thats some help and best of luck :o)

Regards

Turn It Off

360BakTrak
16th Mar 2004, 16:27
Its definitely best to speak to those at 'the coal face' direct...not the organ grinders(as they like to think of themselves!!) Couldnt organise a p!ss up in a brewery! Long live HR!!

Someone_Else
16th Mar 2004, 16:46
Where in AIS are the details? I probably could find them if I had a good look, but I prefer the lazy way! :p

OB1ChrisOB
16th Mar 2004, 17:08
Go to http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/aipad2.htm

then select the desired airfield,

next look at the textual data for said airfield

At the top there should be telephone(ATC)...

Seems to work... but do slap my wrists if I shouldn't approach it this way!!!!

Someone_Else
16th Mar 2004, 20:15
Thanks, I'll give that a bash aswell!

Inverted81
17th Mar 2004, 19:26
Hi all,
Visited Luton Tower today..... oh yes, this is the job for me!! The guys were really helpful and willing to answer all my questions!! I'm off to west drayton tommorrow, all i did was phone them and they organised it, no problem!! So i'd like to know why people are having some trouble. The only thing i can think is that there has been a sudden influx of requests and there literally isn't time... just guessing tho! :rolleyes:
As regards to contact phone numbers, i used my pooleys flight guide (aerodrome maps and procedures...... a lot more basic than the AIP's) just asked the question and was passed to the relevant people.
The interview next week!! aaargh. think i'm fine on the technical (bit of an anorak from a young age!) only query is the computer tests.... oh well, fingers crossed!
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you on a course in the future sometime!!
Chris

Hotairlass
18th Mar 2004, 20:13
Hi

I have just heard that I have an interview on the 7th April. I wasn't supplied with any contact details either for arranging visits.

I would like to visit Glasgow Tower and Prestwick Area Control. If anyone could help I would love to hear from you.

I am based in Glasgow.

Hotairlass
22nd Mar 2004, 10:17
Called Prestwick today. I was told they do not do individual visits and group visits are arranged for your 2nd interview. First I have heard of this. Can anyone shed any light?

weselfluren
22nd Mar 2004, 11:22
Hotairlass,

is this the testing phase or the technical interview? If the technical interview, then they should be able to accomadate you (especially if you ask nicely) - otherwise you're best off to contact HR in Swawick. If you haven't had a unit visit prior to the interview, not only will you miss a lot of potential learning from looking and listening, but they won't think you're serious about the role.

Might also be worth visiting the centre and also getting a tower visit. You're lucky being so close to both types of unit, and will have "one up" on the other candidates. Not always possible to visit both disciplines if you're stuck on any of the county's extremities!

If it's the tests, then it's nothing to worry about. All you need to do is read the supplied information, practice any of the psychometric tests you can do online (such as the fast-track civil service one) to give you a flavour of what they're like, re-learn your 6 times, 4 times, 3 times tables and above all, revise like hell!

Best of luck, all in all it's a fun process.

WF:ok:

Dave_rowe
30th Mar 2004, 07:54
Fidgell

'If anyone wants to visit Manchester ACC and Tower'

Can i take you up on your offer, I have just been through the first satge of selection for Nats and would like to visit Manchester before my interview in May.

Hope you can help!

Thanks
Dave

dweaver3481
30th Mar 2004, 22:29
Dave_Rowe

I too have my interview in May and would like to visit Manchester fairly soon, if u manage to get somethin arranged with fidgell, please give me a shout as I'd appreciate some help.

Cheers, Damian.

JimboUK2004
5th Apr 2004, 12:19
hi there people! :O

After recent success at my assessment centre for NATS ATC - how do I organise myself a visit at Swanwick LACC and West Drayton LTCC?

I did not receive a contact list from NATS recruitment people, and I've been in touch with no luck. :(

Anyone have ideas?

I've already been to see London City Aerodrome and CATC at Bouremouth. To complete my recruitment adventure, I'd love to investigate an area control and approach control centre.

Thanks,

Jim;)

qdan
5th Apr 2004, 12:53
Just phone them up.

I got the phone number out of the phone book, gave them a call and saw them two days later!

Very cool. Spent 4 hours there and then they drove me over to the tower at Heathrow!

Waiting for 2nd assesment results now. 10 days and counting!

Dan

PPRuNe Radar
5th Apr 2004, 13:36
JimboUK2004

Have merged your question here. This thread has only been out of view for 4 or 5 days and doesn't take much uncovering ;)

Like many posters (not a criticism but helpful advice for all), you will tend to find that things to do with NATS interviews have been answered many times on this Forum before. Just use the Search function and some keywords about your query and you will usually find every possible answer under the sun.

Mmmm, there's a thought. We could make finding the answers to a query using PPRuNe part of the computer tests for NATS from now on :) Points off for anyone asking something already covered and not using Search.

Good luck with your visit and the tests and interviews :ok:

Cheers

Inverted81
6th Apr 2004, 09:11
Hi, My 10 days are up as well! Phoned HR up to double check this morning, and apparently interviews are like initial selection, results are sent out 10 days after the final interview/selection day, which in my case will make it this friday. I had interview in 23/3 last day 26/3. As my luck goes its Good Friday then Bank holiday Monday, so i wont be getting results till mid NEXT week!!!! AAAARGH all i wanna know is if i passed! he he!!! Starting to get nervous now! :)

RE: LTCC visit, as already said, just phone! They are really helpfull. I was there for 4 hours as well, didn't get visit to Heathrow tho! :(
Good luck all!
C

JimboUK2004
8th Apr 2004, 12:30
Hi there!

Here's a new one for ya!

I'm taking a visit to West Drayton and Southampton tomorrow! This is for preparation for my ATC interview next month.
That will mean I've visited an Aerodrome (London City), Approach Control and Area Control!

What I need to know is this: What kind of points and information should I pick up on? I know the interviewer will be interested to know what I've learnt from my visists!
What kind of questions should I be asking (at the visits), and also what should I swot up on tonight before I head off tomorrow?

Thank you

Jim:D :ok:

Barnaby the Bear
8th Apr 2004, 15:18
Just take on board what you can. You won't be expected to have an in depth knowledge from one visit.
From 'my own experience', they only asked if I had visited any units. That was it.
A basic idea of how the unit operates and the duties performed, will probably suffice.
If you went into an interview an mentioned orange tennis bats they would be worried. :}

JimboUK2004
8th Apr 2004, 15:22
LOL - Dr Evil - nice one! I'm hoping I get lucky with a job but not that lucky!! :cool:

I'll just go along and take it as it comes then - excuse the expression! :}

Inverted81
8th Apr 2004, 16:00
Jim,
Maaaaate, RELAX!!!! there is only a certain amount of prep you can do for ANY of the stages!! As for the visits it is like the old school trips you've done, except this time you'll have a real interest!! :) Questions will come naturally, but remember if your sitting at the screen with an ATCO they might be pretty busy (At west drayton i sat with the approach guys to Heathrow) so be considerate.
As for interview... they dont really ask questions about visits directly. they usually approach the area by saying "what research have you done?" then you can tell them where you've been and as far as my experience goes that was that. not another mention. Its to help you yourself, really mate.
Have fun tommorrow, busy day!!!!
Chris

JimboUK2004
8th Apr 2004, 16:08
Busy day indeed matey!

Well, if all else fails, at least the good 'ord enthusiasm is there! Christ, bit of driving tomorrow: London-West Drayton, West Drayton - Swanwick, Swanwick to Scaroborough! :mad:
Busy day alright! Killing two birs with one stone though.

All the best chrisf,
Jim:p

mps12
8th Apr 2004, 17:41
My interview was the same - did you visit anywhere? Yes - and I said what I gained from it and that was it, not mentioned any more at all!!

Good Luck Jimbo!:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Apr 2004, 19:24
<<<At west drayton i sat with the approach guys to Heathrow.>>

Don't worry about it. You'll recover eventually - just keep taking the tablets!

Good luck Jimbo; hope it all pans out OK for you.

Gina8181
17th Apr 2004, 08:47
Hiya,

I have my interviews on the 17th May, only stumbled across this website yesterday (and thank god I did!) and realised it would be vital for me to make some visits before my interview. Anyway I'm in the process of setting up a visit to Swanwick and just wondered if anyone could advise or help with a visit to a tower. Tried Southampton yesterday but they were too busy!

Cheers,

Someone_Else
31st May 2004, 14:11
Just wanted to add on my thanks to the people who responded to this post publicly and privately when I raised it.

I had the interviews in early May and i'm glad to say I passed. :O

The help of several people on this forum and the various links contained within the articles was invaluable.

Thanks PPRUNE! :ok:

Craig

pumuckl
11th Aug 2004, 14:23
I am just going through the NATS application process and would really really like to arrange a visit at West Drayton. I tried looking them up in the phone book as was suggested but have been unable to find a contact number. Have also tried a search on google, but no luck. Could anyone please help? :O

p.

gilaine
12th Aug 2004, 09:35
Where was this thread when I was waiting for my interview?

I didn't manage to get a visit (like most people I didn't get the imaginary contacts list and NATS didn't respond to my emails) but I still got it anyway. Don't worry too much if you can't get it organised, I didn't and it didn't do me any harm.

And don't listen to what whoever said about not being serious about the job if you don't go because they'll be able to see that in you anyway if you are.

rodan
12th Aug 2004, 15:40
I would sound a note of caution after the last post. Whilst it may not be an absolute necessity to visit a unit if you can demonstrate previous interest in aviation and a knowledge of ATC through other means, I think it remains pretty important to visit a unit if you are new to this sort of thing. How do you know you want to do this if you have no idea what it's like in a tower?

As for needing a list, use your initiative. Phone the airport switchboard. Ask to be put through to the ATC manager. It's not rocket science.

aaaabbbbcccc1111
13th Aug 2004, 21:47
I recently went through the whole process, I managed to get to Swanwick, West drayton, but also non NATS units Plymouth and Exeter. Its like the post above says, I just rang around. I was very polite, and in some cases where they were not willing to help over the phone, I wrote a formal letter requesting permission to look around. I managed to spend 6 hours in West drayton, speaking to a whole host of ATCO who were very helpful. I did tell the interviewer about all my visits, I passed and who knows how much my visits had to do with the overall outcome?

mps12
14th Aug 2004, 20:01
I agree to the last few posts, dont just give up in google, phone around, i must have phoned about 6 or 7 places before a very nice man at NATS in Swanwick gave me the email to the Birmingham ATC, which then produced a telephone number and voila an awesome visit was organised. It would be too easy to just give you a list of numbers!!

Having said that, it wasnt even mentioned by the interviewer and I was offered a place! (But I did mention myself just to be a bit keen!!)