PDA

View Full Version : Worth joining the CAF?

Bushranger76
13th Mar 2004, 08:54
I am a military helicopter pilot who is wondering about the prospects of joining the CAF in the near future. I have loads of questions ranging from the best place to go, to pay and service requirements, to which is the best frame to fly.
However, I have also read some interesting reports within these forums of servicability worries, morale problems and retention issues. Are these justified?

SBfour
13th Mar 2004, 09:21
Having spent the last 15 yrs flying for the CF, I still think it is a great place to work. Many of my friends that left years ago for airline jobs or a stint in Saudi have been coming back recently. Budget cutbacks from early nineties have left us with some old airplanes to fly. However, things are looking up and the technicians do a great job.
Joining the CF from Oz may prove difficult. An RAF buddy of mine was recently declined despite his fast jet background and QFI experience. But I don't have all the facts. The Air Force website has some info. Flying Sea Kings or Cormorants on the West Coast of Canada sounds like a dream job to me.

Latte tester
17th Mar 2004, 09:16
After 20 years in the CF and some pretty good flying, all for free, it was a very good experience, learned a lot and travelled a fair bit. I'll agree with SBfour, you will probably have a hard time getting in, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

Hey SBfour, were you a stem cat?

Regards from a former '3'

lgw
25th Mar 2004, 08:22
I have seen a few of these posts. For all the RAF or RAAF pilots looking at joining the Canadian Forces, (or any other country for that matter), you must be a Canadian citizen first. You will have to move to Canada find another job for a few years until you can get your citizenship then you can apply.