PDA

View Full Version : Citabria - Love at First Flight?

ChiSau
12th Mar 2004, 20:33
Am currently doing a tailwheel conversion on a Citabria which I'm really really enjoying.

What a fabulous little aeroplane - so much more fun than the Warrior I normally fly!

Anybody out there also feel that way?!

:)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Mar 2004, 20:38
Oh yes, they are fun machines indeed, way beyond a Warrior in fun flying terms. But just wait 'till you try a Chipmunk. That's in a different league again:)

SSD

ToryBoy
12th Mar 2004, 20:53
If you enjoy the Citab, wait til you've had a go in a Luscombe!!

Now THAT'S a plane that needs handling!!!:ok:

FNG
12th Mar 2004, 21:08
I take it that you are also exploiting the Citabria's upside downy abilities, from whence it derives its name.

BEXIL160
12th Mar 2004, 21:37
ChiSau...

Not the Citabria that I loved first time I flew it, but it's forerunner the Aeronca 7 Champ. Lots of Character (lots of adverse aileron yaw as well!) and, so I was told, once upon a time (but not now) Airbatic :ooh:

For more Aeronca / American Champion etc info have a look here:
http://www.aeronca.co.uk/

(If you're reading this Slipslider , hope you are well. Saw 'MP last w/e looking v sorry, minus one wing:( )

Roll on the Summer

Best rgds
BEX

Evo
12th Mar 2004, 21:44
Must admit that I hated the Citabria the first time I flew one - massive amounts of adverse yaw made for a real shock after the delightful Robin 2160. I didn't know what the hell I was doing as I slipped and skidded around the sky. Second time I was prepared and rather liked it, then the aeroplane disappeared up north.

I suspect that now (with a lot more tailwheel time) I'd like one. Not 'arf! Fancy another aeroplane, Bex...? :ok:

Aileron Roll
12th Mar 2004, 21:58
I only ever did a couple of flights in the Citabria (AIRBATIC spelt backwards), but remember it being a stack of fun !

.... ENJOY and keep us informed of your progress !

treadigraph
12th Mar 2004, 22:01
Ahhhh memories...

As a very young lad I spent some time in the back seat of 5Y-AKK while it was glider towing at Nakuru in Kenya. Pilots I remember, apart form my father, were Chris Unitt and Pat Innocent... anyone know what they are up to these days? The Citabria was written off in a tugging accident in 1974.

Lovely aeroplane, enjoy it ChiSau!

shortstripper
13th Mar 2004, 00:46
Mix a taildragger with an open cockpit and you really are starting to talk FUN!!!

There's a Spezio Tuholer for sale on afors at the moment which really looks like a machine I'd enjoy ... there's just the little matter of £14k to get over :ugh:

SS

willbav8r
13th Mar 2004, 00:48
The Citab is my "fun" flying. Sunny day, some crosswind: magic. Pretty soon it is going to be time for the Decathalon....and upside down stuff :E

BEXIL160
13th Mar 2004, 01:23
EVO..

It's no secret. You KNOW that I'd love a Champ (I seem to recall trying to convince both you and others), and remain v interested into whatever happens to 'MP.

Slipslider has his hands full at the moment with less palitable tasks. Hope he and Wendy are ok.

Rgds BEX

MLS-12D
13th Mar 2004, 03:26
One of the most fun airplanes out there, and very easy to fly.

The Bellanca / American Champion 7 series has a pretty horrible accident record, which likely reflect the jobs it is used for (e.g., banner towing, pipeline patrolling, glider towing, fish spotting, etc.), rather than any inherent design problem. However, I personally always feel safe flying it: there just isn't much to go wrong, and it can be landed in a very short distance if the need arises.

Enjoy! :ok:

LowNSlow
13th Mar 2004, 17:40
shortstripper I think Kingy's group sold the Spezio last year. I wonder why the current owner is getting rid of her cos she's a lovely looking aeroplane. Don't know if she'd get in and out of your strip (350m??) 2-up though cos she, like most ladies of a certain age, has put on a little bit of weight!

shortstripper
13th Mar 2004, 23:50
Ahhh! but for such a lady I could be selfish and fly by myself :)

Pax can always be uploaded elsewhere if needed.

It certainly has a sporty look, I wonder if it flies as well as it looks?

SS

Kingy
14th Mar 2004, 00:10
Chaps, I'm not selling The Spezio (pronounced Spadzio), but did co-own her until a few weeks ago. Feel free to PM me about her - I know the A/C quite well, and you will be also regailed of the slightly bizarre tail of why she is now for sale...!

Kingy

poetpilot
14th Mar 2004, 00:50
Evo

I'm guessing the oop north Citabria is the aircraft I bought, G-BFHP, which is now being cosseted and flown out og Liverpool Flying School. If it's any consolation, I love it to bits!

It's just getting a present - in the shape of a Skymap III colour GPS. Meanwhile, everone's having lots of fun turning it upsy downsy...

Evo
14th Mar 2004, 01:05
Poet, that's the one. Would have liked to have tried some aeros, but never got that far - was having enough trouble with the blue side up stuff...

pittss2b
14th Mar 2004, 04:05
Greetings,

We enjoy our Citabrias as well. Last year we put just over 1500 hours on C-GEDP and C-GZKC. Both are 7ECAs and ZKC is a 2001 model.

http://www.harvsair.com/taildragger.html
or
http://www.harvsair.com/airplanes/citabria/cgzkc.htm for some specifications and performance numbers.

We find if you teach a PPL on a taildragger the students find it no harder then a trike trainer.

freefallfun
14th Mar 2004, 04:25
Almost finished my tailwheel conversion at Livepool and loving every minute of it. Loving the large quantity of landing fee a little less though :-)

FreeFallFun.

poetpilot
14th Mar 2004, 13:46
Glad you're enjoying it Freefall ! Once you're cleared though, you should be able to take her away and land at some cheaper places. Have you done any grass stuff with her yet? PM me if you haven't done Barton yet and maybe I could take you across there?

Piece of Cake
16th Mar 2004, 01:23
I did my tailwheel conversion in G-BFHP, I fell in love with her on my very first flight. Couldn't stop grinning for hours after each trip (also enjoyed some gentle aerobatics). Would thoroughly recommend flying a Citabria to anyone if they get the chance, it is one of the most fun aeroplanes I have flown (in my limited experience). I last flew her in the middle of March last year.

poetpilot, I have some digital photos of HP, can send them to you if you like.

Best Rgds