PDA

View Full Version : A drunk pilot, but which airline?

angels
11th Mar 2004, 17:04
I've just spotted this bizarre story.

Pilot fined for alcohol in Germany after tipsy ride

BERLIN, March 10 (Reuters) - An airline pilot, reported by passengers for flying his Boeing 737 erratically, was fined 1,500 euros ($1,845) on Wednesday after a breath test showed he had been drinking, German police said.
The pilot worked for a north African airline and was flying from Morocco to Duesseldorf in western Germany. Police declined to name his airline.
Police have launched an investigation against the pilot for "endangering air traffic" and the civil aviation authority had confiscated the plane's flight recorder.
"Several of the 108 passengers complained about the pilot's 'erratic' flying style," Duesseldorf police said in a statement.
REUTERS

There are some strange elements to this.

We don't know where the flight originated from, just that it's Morocco.

We don't know the airline. Why on earth not? Surely the airline should be named. Anyone know any reasons why it shouldn't?

And lastly, the fact that it was the pax who seemingly alerted the authorities would indicate to me that the pilot was well sloshed.

Anyone out there know any more about this curious yarn?

suppie
11th Mar 2004, 17:32
It was a pilot of Royal Air Maroc.....funny thing is that approx 1 year ago we had the same at Amsterdam also with a pilot of Royal Air Maroc

FFG
13th Mar 2004, 01:26
The guy was positive, with 0,26mg/l.
Which is not enough to make you look drunk, but way too much to fly an aircraft !!!

He was fined 1500 euros, and sent home !!!

Anybody for an Irish coffee upfront ???

Fly safe.

ATC Watcher
13th Mar 2004, 04:02
quote :
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The guy was positive, with 0,26mg/l.
Which is ...[..........] way too much to fly an aircraft !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Our limit was reset at 0,2 mg because it was apparently proven that normal sugar disgestion can produce up to that limit in some cases.
But anyway the % is very variable and depends on weight, gender ( sorry ladies , less blood ) and how much food you have been having just prior the test. So 0,26 mg , is that indeed was the figure, does not raise a " way too much " in real terms.But it is true that in many States , including Germany, it is a ZERO policy and even with o,1 you are in breach and cannot continue to fly.

But the lawyers ( especially in a Muslim country ) will have a field day proving it was not alcohol I guess ....

asianaav8r
14th Mar 2004, 11:24
Another RAM pilot like the AMS one last year!

M.85
14th Mar 2004, 16:28
.... and what about the BRITISH AIRWAYS CAPTAIN caught drunk by the Swedish Authorities last year in January????
He was not from Marocco...me neither but guys keep cool about it..

M.85

beardy
14th Mar 2004, 16:53
m.85,

Now that the search engine is back chugging away you could have answered your own question. The BA Captain in Norway last year tested with zero blood alcohol, by the Norewgians.

M.85
14th Mar 2004, 17:26
was that the captain who was SEEN drinking by the local people??
If im mistaken ..all apologies...

M.85

maxy101
14th Mar 2004, 19:39
He may have been seen , but the blood results came back negative. However, he resigned from BA before the results were known. I can only imagine why. However, I can imagine the ultimatum he was given by Big Airways management...

Airbubba
15th Mar 2004, 02:49
I'm sure he resigned because he was innocent...