PDA

View Full Version : NPPL to JAR-FCL PPL "upgrade"

hashdef
10th Mar 2004, 22:21
Can someone tell me where the requirements are written down for upgrade of an NPPL to a JAR-FCL PPL ?

I'm sure I've seen something which defines what additional dual instruction is required, but LASORS 2004 just quotes the normal JAR-FCL minimums, i.e.

Upgrade to JAR-FCL PPL(A)
The holder of a NPPL with SEP aircraft rating wishing to obtain a JAR-FCL PPL(A) shall :-
a) Complete at least 45 hours flight time, of which at least 35 hours must have been as a pilot of SEP aeroplanes. A maximum of 5 hours may be completed in an approved FNPT or flight simulator. This flight time must include :-
1) 20 hours dual instruction of SEP aeroplanes with a JAR qualified instructor;
2) 10 hours supervised solo flight time on SEP aeroplanes which must include 5 hours solo cross country flight time including one cross country flight of at least 270 km (150 nm), during which full stop landings at two different aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made as per JAR-FCL 1.125.
b) Pass the JAR-FCL PPL(A) Theoretical Knowledge Examinations (unless previously passed for the NPPL (SSEA).
c) Hold a valid JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 medical certificate.
d) Pass the JAR-FCL PPL(A) Skill Test as detailed in Section C1.4.

EL SID
11th Mar 2004, 01:07
Look at the candidates' logbook to see what the shortfall is (usually none in my experience) and than it's as much dual as required to be up to the standard for the JAA PPL Skills test. Otherwise all the rest is as it says in LASORS
ES

BEagle
13th Mar 2004, 08:12
Seeing as I wrote it, I'll explain:

You have to make the required JAR-FCL total of hours. But credit can be given for NPPL purposes for a variety of reasons, hence it's entirely possible that not everyone will have 32 'JAR hours' plus the tests. Also, if you haven't got the Q X-C tick i.a.w. JAR-FCL, you'll need to do that as well.

As El Sid has said, subtract the 'JAR hours' already achieved from the mandatory total, then complete those plus any items not already covered in the JAR-FCL syllabus. Get medical do Skill Test, pay dosh....

Note that even though your NPPL allows you to carry passengers, solo X-C time for the JAR-FCL PPL must indeed be solo!