PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses for Aviation - Oakleys

Lucifer
9th Mar 2004, 16:44
What is your opinion on the best Oakleys for aviation? Or indeed for that matter any other glasses with similar styling which are good for the cockpit environment.

I perviously owned a pair of Black Iridium Eyejackets that broke, and want to replace these with another pair of Oakleys having been very impressed with them. That particular lens was however too dark occassionally for less than bright environments, so a slightly greater lens transmission would be better.

What is the opinion on polarised lenses as well - Oakley certainly seem to have some well-reviewed ones compared to the competition, and their website features the results of a review by a US magazine called 'Pilot' that rates the Oakleys higher than all the competition.

All thoughts welcome...

maxy101
9th Mar 2004, 17:06
Must admit, I had problems reading the glass cockpit displays wearing Oakleys with their dark grey lenses, though my classic Rayban greens were o.k.

david_dudley
9th Mar 2004, 18:31
It is unwise to wear polarised lenses whilst viewing LCD screens as they can affect the image, and block certain colours.

Randolphs, are generally rated the best for aviation. However their styles aren't too fashionable and are currently unavailable. (Rumour has it, that it is something to do with the recent military presence in Iraq.) After all these are worn by the US military.

typhoonpilot
9th Mar 2004, 18:39
The Serengeti Driver's lense is probably the best for aviation. I've been using the same ones for almost 20 years and haven't found another lense that is equal.

Typhoonpilot

Jet A1
10th Mar 2004, 00:07
Yeah --- agree with maxy - I had probs with the EFIS especially during sunrise and sunset. Back to me Ray Bans and they very good all day !

willbav8r
10th Mar 2004, 00:35
I have a pair of Oakley wires with amber lenses. Dunno how they would perform on a jet (glass displays etc), but for the flying I do they are fantastic. Unfortunately, when I wear them for golf they tend to induce slice......

Paul Wilson
10th Mar 2004, 01:33
No idea on which would be best, but the standard of service from Oakley is excellant. I sat on mine and bent them badly, took them back to the shop and asked if they would see if Oakley would repair them. They came back good as new and no charge, I was more than prepared to pay, so if you've still got the bits, try sending them back, from what the assistant in the shop said they tend to take a VERY generous stance of their lifetime guarantee.

topgundom
10th Mar 2004, 03:12
I read a report an independent report by pilot magazine before I splashed out and bought some shades.

It said that the best overall were Oakley Juliet X-Metal glasses with Ruby unpolarised lenses.

The website address is here:

www.oakley.com

:cool:

mattpilot
10th Mar 2004, 04:08
I agree with typhoonpilot - I got these: http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&product_id=4905

very good in all situations. Even in dark areas you can see very clearly, and i have no problem looking looking towards the sun.

270/55G75
10th Mar 2004, 22:19
SERENGETI, without a doubt

Miserlou
11th Mar 2004, 03:46
Serengeti Drivers Gradient.

Models Velocity and Lassen have good wrap-around coverage.

Lucifer
12th Mar 2004, 06:48
Thanks for the thoughts above. Have decided on that basis to avoid polarised, and Oakley Black Iridium lenses.

Are these Randolphs available in the UK, as I have never heard of them before?

Unfortunately my Oakleys are a discontinued model, and cannot be repaired, so (having sent them back twice before) I get a 50% off deal to replace them, or get the broken pair returned. On that basis it might be wise to get the sports pair from Oakley, getting a separate aviation pair.

RUDAS
12th Mar 2004, 15:30
i have Oakley Minutes with gold/iridium lenses (earlier referred to as amber lenses).i've found they dont block out too much light,in fact they seem just right for sunrise/sunset when you're flying into the sun,as well as for normal and overcast conditions.this lens is,i think,one of their less tinted ones but really does a good job,and in bad light it tends to enhance dull colours on an EFIS.

only problem is they tend to get all steamed up if its really hot and i'm perspiring!

oh,and by the way,polarised lenses are a definite no-no.

apart from affecting how you see an EFis screen,they can cut out certain colours of light,therefore,you may for example not be able to see a blue aircraft against a blue sky,which would obviously be a danger.:eek:

Atlanta-Driver
13th Mar 2004, 15:42
I have been flying with different model Oakleys for the last 7 years. I've had glasses with "Flame" and "Ice" as well as other lenses and they all worked just fine.
Very good glasses indeed.
I'll stay with Oakleys until something better comes along.

AD

fudgy2000
14th Mar 2004, 12:58
I fly with Oakleys and I think they are great in terms of optics! They have black iridum lenses- they tend to cut the dazzle/glare but everything else seems to look really sharp- even when flying into the sun! I dont know how they function with LCDs!

However, they do tend to cut into my head after a few hours- when wearing my headset. I thinks its because the arms are only thin and i tend feel like that guy off hell raiser- the one with all those needles in his head. Does anyone have any solutions to this??