PDA

View Full Version : seatbelt

Johnman
9th Mar 2004, 04:36
At what altitude do you put the seat belt sign off during the climb and On during descent when it is smooth?.Is it specified in the S.o.p?

Jetdriver
9th Mar 2004, 07:13
Probably varies from airline to airline John. With us it is at 18,000 ft (FL180) up and down. This co-incides with a couple of other checks. It is incorporated in SOP's although it might be varied at the Captains discretion if warranted.

Johnman
10th Mar 2004, 04:45
Thank you jetdriver for the feed back,It is always nice to have an SOP to specify where and when, so that everyone is at the same freq.

Pegasus77
11th Mar 2004, 19:42
Our SOP tells us the signs should be on below FL100. During descent usually this is coordinated with the cabin crew to allow them enough time for approach preparations. (Usually they want the signs 15 mins before landing).

P77

Johnman
13th Mar 2004, 03:50
Pegasus77 , Does your SOP specify as well when to turn the seatbelt off after departure.

alexban
14th Mar 2004, 01:34
In climb off above 100 ,and ON before starting descent.Specified in SOP.
also in checklists.
Brgds Alex

XL ONE
14th Mar 2004, 01:44
we have signs go on at top of descent followed by a "10 minutes to landing" call to assist cabin crew.
(don't know any of the other figures cos I work down the back)

Fright Level
14th Mar 2004, 10:03
If there is no forecast turbulence, we leave our seatbelt switch in "AUTO". Signs will be on until passing 10,300 feet in the climb. If there is a depressurisation the signs will come on automatically (and the masks drop down).

In the toilet the "Return To Seat" sign comes on with the seatbelt sign in the cabin except in the case of the decompression.

We switch the seatbelts on manually in the descent 20 mins before landing (747) otherwise they come on automatically with first flap selection.

No smoking signs work automatically with gear selection, but of course these days they are left on all the time.

*Lancer*
15th Mar 2004, 04:48
AUTO function on our 744s is linked to the flaps in normal operations - flaps out, belts on... Unless you want to override it for weather or manouvering etc (we usually do).

Johnman
17th Mar 2004, 19:41
Thank you all very much, I guess with some airplanes the sign comes on auto with the gear down, does that apply to the 744 in case of flaps malfunction? I guess 10000' is a good reference for a minimum height above ground to have the seatbelt on or off, depending on conditions.

EDDNR ;- Can you please confirm the 10300' altitude , does the seatbelt go to off when in the auto position when passing 10300?
Also I guess the signs should come on regardless of seatbelt selector switches in case of excessive cabin altitude.

Fright Level
18th Mar 2004, 18:48
Yes, it's about 10,300 in the climb that you can hear the signs "ding" off if the switch is in auto. And as stated above, they will come on automatically regardless of switch position if the cabin altitude exceeds 14,000 feet. (Except the "return to seat" sign in the toilet, normally operated by the seatbelt sign switch, stays off as there are oxgen masks in the toilet but no seat belt and in the event of a depressurisation, you are best off staying where you are with the mask!)

Johnman
19th Mar 2004, 05:26
EDDNR, thank you, do you know if 10300' is the normal standard for all or is it a special programming. Also if you select the Gear down before the flaps the seatbelt signs should come on, is that right?

*Lancer*
19th Mar 2004, 16:32
Not necessarily Johnman, the AUTO function is generally airline-specific programming (not all airlines use 10300). You are exceptionally unlikely to have the gear down before flaps anyway - and if you do, there are much bigger problems to be dealing with that you've probably already made everyone sit down.

Bletchley
19th Mar 2004, 22:24
John

I always wear my seatbelt at all times as one can run into turbulance without any prior warning and there are many recorded incidents of pax/CC being seriously injured when thrown about the cabin.

Also in the event of a sudden incident it may be more appropriate to be belted in.

Anyone have a view?

Johnman
20th Mar 2004, 18:38
Bletchley; - you are right, it is highly recommended to keep the seatbelt fastened. Pilots are required by law to keep their seatbelts fastened at all times while in the cockpit

Johnman
22nd Mar 2004, 18:33
Lancer, thanks for your reply, talking about the seatbelt in the auto position. It is logical to have it come on with the slats, flaps or the gear down. You can extend the LDG Gear before the flaps if you need to.

FakePilot
22nd Mar 2004, 19:42
Ok, I'm curious. How many oxygen masks are generally in each toilet? I suppose 2 in the case that a family member or guardian needs to assist.

*Lancer*
23rd Mar 2004, 06:01
There might be other reasons too FakePilot ;)

Tinstaafl
23rd Mar 2004, 16:25
Wonder if the flow rate is sufficient to keep up with the panting? ;)