PDA

View Full Version : Cranfield Departure

Hansard
9th Mar 2004, 02:48
Can anyone shed any light on the "Stoney Welin" (spelling?)
departure from Cranfield? Can't find details anywhere, but I'm told it's a departure clearance often issued by Cranfield ATC/London Control

FatFlyer
9th Mar 2004, 03:17
it is a special one devised for IR training and testing, you could get a copy from Cabair or Stapleford or any training organisation doing tests at cranfield.
it is very complex and would probably not be used other than for training or tests as it involves intercepting a track to DTY, step climbs, a DME arc at 10 miles from DTY with a step climb halfway through, then another radial into DTY with possible holds at varios places. You should be given a pass on the IR from just flying the departure in my opinion.
The 04 is even worse requiring step climbs crossing radials from CFD and intercepting outbound tracks from the CIT NDB. Good luck.

Not Long Now
9th Mar 2004, 03:24
I seem to recall the route is TC-WOBUN-STONY-WELIN-DTY and I think it was originally instigated so if TC MIDs did not give Cranfield a procedural clearance for joiners, they could get airborne and aim towards somewhere in the right sort of area remaining clear.
STONY is DTY 129 d10. The idea (I believe) was to clear to join level at FL70 East of DTY for example, but due to the varying bases of controlled airspace in the area that meant coming in on track from WELIN and the idea was to steer the planes away from CAS out towards WELIN where they could climb to FL70 (base FL75 at WELIN) and then turn back towards DTY and comply with being level when they join, as opposed to in the climb depending on where they passed the base of CAS.
To be honest, a bit of a waste of time in reality as 99% are given "remain outside CAS and call 130.92" closely followed by "join in the climb FL70 on track DTY".

Beejam
9th Mar 2004, 03:46
The procedure is useful to give a clearance to join level at FL70.(WELIN-DTY track)

The biggest reason for joining level at FL70 is that a Birmingham Daventry departure will climb to FL60.

As mentioned earlier....it can be issued in advance instead of a free-call....most of the time it will be amended as soon as the a/c is on frequency to join OT DTY climbing to FL70.

I can imagine from the pilots point of view is is a pain in the rear because of the changes of the base of CAS.