PDA

View Full Version : Huddersfield Crosland Moor to Close!

VP8
9th Mar 2004, 01:54
Was 'oop north the other day visiting the folks and heard that Crosland Moor is to close in the near future due to quarrying operations being extended. They have already lost the turnaround at the eastern end and a wall of bales put up to highlight end of runway..

Another interesting airfield closing....remember using the uphill runway just after getting my PPL and though I was landing up the side of a mountain:E

Regrets

VEEPS

It's not the speed of life that scares me it's the sudden stop:ok:

Sir George Cayley
9th Mar 2004, 05:58
I do so hope this isnt true for several reasons

Firstly there's quite a few a/c resident and no vialble local alternative that springs readilly to mind. I feel sorry for the owners.

Secondly its one of Britains more interesting and challenging airfields. And welcoming too.

Thirdly the north has preciuous few recGA runways per capita compared to other parts of the country so cannot afford to lose even this one.

After the untimely death of its long standing owner I felt we might one day read something like this, but hoped it would be much further into the future.

Any update from the locals?

Sir George Cayley

snchater
10th Mar 2004, 00:13
I flew into Huddersfield International on Sunday and rumours of its demise are premature!!
The Quarry Company are keen to excavate under the existing runway as bore holes indicate this is where the best reserves of stone are located. Negotiations are on-going but Jamie W is determined to keep the airfield open. In the short term there may be a tempory grass strip NW/SE to the west of the bungalow but hopefully there will be a new E/W hard runway established to the south of the present runway.
Do support the Crosland Moor Flyers by visiting the highest airfield in England - the site is not as difficult as the bar-room pundits would have you believe!

PPPPP
10th Mar 2004, 00:31
I flew in there a few weeks ago and was regarded as "brave" for doing it alone for the first time! In truth it was no more "tricky" than Barton and in a much prettier setting.

It epitomised for me what a "club" field should be like, the minimum of formality and coffee you made for yourself in the caravan while struggling to find the £2 landing fee. The locals were very friendly too <g>
Sadly those of us who have to hire an a/c cannot quite get there, drink coffee, chat and return within the 90 min booking slot or it would get a lot more visits.

ChrisVJ
29th Mar 2004, 05:28
There is an airfield just South of Victoria (BC Canada) called Butler. It has an indent into the Victoria control Zone to give access and is built on a hill which is being quarried. In fact the floor of the quarry as been developed as an industrial park even while the quarrying is still going on About 60 ft to the East of the runway the hill has been carved away pretty well vertically for a couple of hundred feet and on the other side there is a drop of a couple of hundred which I think is a natural escarpment. Four of five years ago they shortened the runway and carved off that section of the hill too. Now the approach to the uphill runway is over a cliff. I asked one of the owners there if there were downdrafts when the (prevailing) wind was down the runway. He said not too much but one was advised to approach high and aim well up the runway.

--o-o-0-o-o--
29th Mar 2004, 21:56
I flew into Crossland moor rwy25 last Oct'.....was quite challenging (but not too bad).....the scariest bit was seeing a massive dog near the bungalow....i thoughyt i was gonna get chewed to bits.
:)

david viewing
30th Mar 2004, 11:11
I went there on a glorious day in September last year.

http://www.viewing.com/ukflying/Crosland%20Moor%200298 small.JPG

And American pilots think Sedona is exciting! It would be a tragedy to lose this place.

Most difficult is the W departure because you can't see the other end and have to hope that other pilots have noticed you taxying or listen to the radio! On reflection, I will make specific arrangements with any other pilots who might be active on the ground before taxying down the hill to the E on any future visit because you are completely out of sight down there.

Most amusing of all, while enjoying the hospitality of the portakabin, a transiting pilot came on the radio asking for a 'flight information service'. I can't remember what the chap who was kindly making me a cup of coffee said in return!

Thank you, Crosland Moor.