PDA

View Full Version : PA38 Tomahawk Control Locks?

breakscrew
8th Mar 2004, 17:46
Our Club has just acquired a PA38. My question is whether there is a recognised 'control lock' for when it is parked outside, and if so, where can we get one? Additionally, does anyone know where we can get a recognised and accurate fuel dip-stick from?

pondlife
8th Mar 2004, 23:14
The "standard" control lock for a PA38 (and PA28) is to loop a seat belt through a control yoke. I've an idea that this is even mentioned in the tomahawk POH but I'm not absolutely sure.

I've also seen people using the seat back pushed forward against the yolk and the yolk trimmed against it. My club stopped doing that due to various seat trim breakages when it's done carelessly - the internal trim in a tomahawk is particularly fragile.
Nowadays my club secures the elevator by trimming forward all the way and doesnt' bother to secure the ailerons. I don't know why - I much prefer the "standard" seat belt loop method where everything is secure - but I do what the boss says anyway.

I don't know about the dip-stick. Most (all?) PA38 operators I know work out the fuel load by looking through the filler hole and siting the fuel level against the large 'X' which is clearly visible on the fuel tank back wall. This is much, much easier to do on a tomahawk than on, say, a high wing Cessna single.

Does that help?

breakscrew
11th Mar 2004, 18:20
Pondlife,
Many thanks for this - it is much as we surmised, although as we have relatively little experience with the PA38 we thought that maybe there was something else out there.
BS

Stoney X
11th Mar 2004, 18:36
breakscrew, have you considered control surface locks as supplied by some internet 'Pilot shops'? These are the ones that fit onto the control surface themselves, as oppossed to the control column. These sites also have fuel gauge dipsticks that might work.

Regards
Stoney X

breakscrew
11th Mar 2004, 18:55
Thanks S X,
The only problem with the PA38 is the height of the T-tail, so we cannot lock the elevators externally (or easily), hence our desire to get a control column lock. I think we will have to go with PLs suggestion. All of the pilot shop guides I have seen do not have Piper dipsticks - although they have plenty of Cessna ones.
BS

ToryBoy
11th Mar 2004, 22:49
How about a toothpick? :}

IO540
12th Mar 2004, 00:22
Carefully check PA38 fuel tank filler cap seals - the tanks have a habit of filling up with water during heavy rain. I once drained out about half a pint of water before any fuel started to some out. Scary!

Hare O Plane
14th Mar 2004, 11:55
I used to teach on the Terrorhawk (sorry TOMAHAWK) and we used the seat belt trick too for locking off the controls. We also used to teach students when doing this to "Climb into" or "Dive away" from the wind when doing this.

As for the fuel tanks, pondlife uses the same idea as we were shown. Centre of the "X" was our equivilant to "tabs" on a PA28.
We only ever used to fuel to that mark as with 2 up and full fuel you're way over MTOM (all 4oz of it)

The 38 has a fair dihedral on the wing so I'm not sure about how you'd calibrate the dip.

Not only do those cap seals let in water, they let fuel out too :ooh: as I found out!

Lovely little aeroplane to fly. Good luck with her.

HOP:ok:

Pronto
15th Mar 2004, 12:55
With regard to dipsticks, some aviation supply shops sell (or used to sell) a "universal dipstick". This was a clear plastic tube made of rigid plastic. It was calibrated for the aircraft it was to be used on by starting with the aircraft parked on flat ground, tanks (or a tank) empty. You'd then add a measured quantity of fuel then insert the tube into the tank. By placing a finger over the top (open) end of the tube, you'd be able to remove the dipstick from the tank and see the level of the fuel. Then add a further quantity of fuel and repeat the process until the tank is filled. Presto! the dipstick is calibrated.

I think that Transair used to have them.

Regards

P

Hare O Plane
15th Mar 2004, 13:04
Yeah you're right Pronto they do.

About £12 or something.

HOP

breakscrew
15th Mar 2004, 15:24
Thanks guys - I'm grateful for all the posts and ideas.
BS:)