PDA

View Full Version : Dress Code for Aptitude Tests

Frogga
8th Mar 2004, 14:43
I have finally been given a date for my first aptitude tests for NATS at Birmingham on the 31st March. I am wondering what is appropriate to wear. Is it a formal day where you are expected to wear a suit and tie or is it a day to wer whatever you feel ok in.

heinzmanm
8th Mar 2004, 16:58
I'll also be at those tests on 31st March and from what I understand, smart-casual seems to be the order of the day. You are not being judged on appearance - just whether you can complete the tests to the required standard!
I would suggest a shirt/sweater and smart trousers/jeans.

Matthew

Jumbo56
8th Mar 2004, 17:57
As someone who has represented the NATS operational side of ATC at aptitude tests AND one to one interviews, I consider smart casual dress code for the latter is correct...However I'm not sure that I think jeans are appropriate in context of job applications! Even if it is only written tests and not interview. Jeans may be smart casual for a night out with pals but in this context they would say to me that perhaps the person concerned isn't too bothered about this job in the first place!!
Hope that helps.

tired-flyboy
8th Mar 2004, 19:05
At the test centre I was at most people were wearing jacket and tie (if male), nobody turned up in jeans!!

At the end of the day although they are only aptitude tests you at least want to be seen to be 'professional' but def wear a suit when you get to the second stage!!

All the best

:ok:

Beejam
9th Mar 2004, 03:53
I wore a suit.........and in my opinion the smarter the better.
Just like when you are training at CATC/unit the overall impression is important regarding how people perceive your attitude.

Sounds dramatic, but it could be that you need every bit of help you can get. And the smarter and better presented you are the more people are likely to help you.

Besides ...nobody likes a scruffy trainee.;)

The Euronator
9th Mar 2004, 06:00
jumbo56,

Surely you are kidding, it is only aptitude tests and not everyone has the fiscal capacity to purchase attire for simply an aptitude test, considering that not everyone gets through it is hardly worth the expense , if found not suitable.

An interview, I agree suitably attired, no arguments there.

rodan
9th Mar 2004, 06:19
I wore a suit through every stage of selection, as did most of the other applicants I saw.

Take it as seriously as you want to. If you don't have a suit, surely you have a smart pair of trousers and a shirt and tie? You are applying for a professional career, jeans aren't really an option.

Yellow Snow
9th Mar 2004, 06:48
As an ATCO who has gave the talks on initial testing days, i promise you are only judged on your performance in the tests, you could probably turn up in a G-string and a pork pie hat:D

It's the second stage one on ones where you have to shine as a person and look damn smart.

Barnaby the Bear
9th Mar 2004, 16:02
This is the second time in as many months this question has been asked.
I would wear what you feel is appropriate for your own individual application.
Who is to say the person that may interview you later doe's not put an appearence in.
:rolleyes:

Jumbo56
9th Mar 2004, 22:03
Hey Euro... no, deadly serious. And I wasn't aware that it was about showing off ones taste in expensive clothing but in fact about making a 'good' impression! So one's fiscal position 'don't enter into it', you can pick up a smart pair of trousers/a skirt for a lot less than a decent pair of jeans as I'm sure you're aware?

The truth is, no-one takes actual note of who is wearing what on these aptitude test days and probably wouldn't know an individual applicant from Adam (or Eve) But that's not the point....
Want to make a good impression: DON'T WEAR JEANS! Want to look like you don't really give a toss and this is just one of many unimportant jobs that you're applying for; then be my guest.

mickrobbo
11th Mar 2004, 17:44
I had my initial tests in Manchester yesterday....the majority of people where in suits (tie and no tie) but there were some who turned up in very casual clothing, but from what I could tell it didn't matter as they let us de-formalise (removing ties etc) if we felt uncomfortable as they were not judging appearance.

Best of luck to all who are taking their tests.....;)

Someone_Else
13th Mar 2004, 17:46
If it's any help to you, I went along in dark blue Jeans and a jumper. There was only one other person who I would describe as casual.

I have passed the tests and been invited back for a interview or two!

I will definetly be suited up for that one though.

Your sitting tests, not a personal overview, the advice on the weblink (posted in the top of the forumn) which is dress how you feel comfortable seems appropriate for Stage 1.