PDA

View Full Version : EZY changes 250kt policy

outofsynch
8th Mar 2004, 07:06
Yes, as of 07 Mar, EZY have realised that 250kts to 10000ft isnt very low cost..... High speed now approved with ATC permission.

Will this make much difference to controllers? Will it even be noticeable? Just curious.

Still 250kts below 10 on descent, but no restriction above.

Paracab
8th Mar 2004, 08:31
Still 250kts below 10 on descent, but no restriction above.

Was aware of the restriction to 10,000 but what about beyond 10,000 ?

Spitoon
8th Mar 2004, 15:46
Not sure that I understand the question. There's a 250kt limit below FL100 in many classes of airspace whether climbing, descending or in level flight. There are also speed limits (e.g. SLPs) associated with many procedures.

Just where are EZY changing procedures?

The Greaser
8th Mar 2004, 16:53
I think the change in SOP's is to allow high speed on departure below FL 100 when told by ATC that there is 'no speed restriction'. In the past we have still had to comply to max 250 knots below FL 100. So the SOP will now allow us to speed up on the SID. The company SOP on approach of 250 below FL100 still remains.

Regards

eyeinthesky
12th Mar 2004, 23:57
Just to be clear:

From a regulation point of view: In Class A airspace, there is NO blanket speed restriction of 250 kts below FL100. That is why Speed Limit Points are specified. These are usually based upon the need to get speed to reasonable levels to ensure holding patterns or star tracks remain reasonable compact.

What the airlines decide to put in their SOPs for other reasons (windscreen strength against birdstrikes, for example) is another kettle of fish.

Not Long Now
13th Mar 2004, 00:18
I've been living under a misapprehension then, always thought it was 250 max below 100 unless told otherwise in class A...

Hippy
13th Mar 2004, 01:14
I've been living under a misapprehension then
Correct, you have.
See AIC 35/1998 (Yellow 291) (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4Y291.PDF) for definitave answer. (Basically 250kt below 10,000 for all in class D,E,F & G and for VFR in class C. No limit for see & avoid purposes in Class A or B or IFR class C.
As stated by eyeinthesky, what EZY or anyone else choose, within those limits, as company SOP is up to them.

Not Long Now
13th Mar 2004, 02:40
So why do we cancel the speed restriction on departures if there is no speed restriction?

LostThePicture
13th Mar 2004, 04:46
Most SIDs have an initial speed limit of 250kts below FL100, which helps to provide separation between sequential departing aircraft for the first radar sector after departure. The radar controller may choose to lift the speed restriction when it is no longer required.

LTP

Jerricho
13th Mar 2004, 11:46
There is a poster on a notice board at London TC reference Easy's policy of 250kts below 10,000 feet. Never paid much attention to it as a LHR controller, but I got the general idea that they were adhereing to it in an attempt to stop rushed approaches. Essex/Luton guys and gals........?

eyeinthesky
14th Mar 2004, 00:54
Not Long Now:

Seems to me you need to revise a little on the Classifications of Airspace....;)

So you've been lifting speed restrictions on SIDs for how long now without knowing why or what effect it might have..?? Training has definitely declined in standard over the years since I trained in TC..!:p

buzid
15th Mar 2004, 19:33
Back on thread;
The EZY policy has for about the last 3 years been 250 below 100, even if ATC cancel speed restrictions. The only exception is if you specifically ask them to make high speed.

This has now been lifted, but only for the climb. If you want >250 in descent below FL100, you must specifically ask for it.
The reason cited for the change has been fuel based, but I'd imagine it won't dissapoint our LGW ATC colleagues any.

Not uncommon to hear EZY cleared no. 1 with no speed restrictions, only to foul up the works shortly thereafter.