PDA

View Full Version : Navigation near Boscombe Down

ozplane
7th Mar 2004, 23:59
I hope to fly down to Compton Abbas this week and I'll be approaching from the North-East. I can work out a route which avoids Boscombe but crosses Danger Areas 123/5/6. I know they have a frequency and teelphone number but could any of you who fly locally tell me how likely it is a crossing clearance would be given? Thanks in advance.

Monocock
8th Mar 2004, 00:46
A lot of people get confused over this area and I can understand why. Thruxton, Middle Wallop, all those Danger Areas and the place (forget its name now) on the eastern edge of Salisbury plain make the area rather congested.

The most direct route is to call Boscombe when you are 10 miles to the North East and request a MATZ penetration to route via "the railway". You will see that this takes you along the Northern edge of one of the Danger Zones and just to the south of Boscombes ATZ. At weekends they often dont answer so it's a case of a blind call although dont take this for granted as they sometimes answer when you least expect it.

You will have to speak to Thruxton if you go this route to tell them you will be transitting their overhead.

If this all seems a bit of a hassle, route direct from Hungerford to Westbury before heading south. It only adds about 4 minutes to your journey time.

To get clearance through the main Danger Zone seems to be quite rare. I normally get given it 1 times in 5 as it is a very active area.

Don't even bother considering going south via Andover, then south of Middle Wallop etc. It'll take you so much longer although some insist on going that way.

Good luck.

ozplane
8th Mar 2004, 01:09
Many thanks Monocock. Excellent advice. If the viz is good I'll try the Boscombe route. If not Westbury and Hungerford should do the trick

yawningdog
8th Mar 2004, 02:14
But, make sure you don't bust the Old Sarum Circuit. I've had some very close calls with people following that railway line.

Why don't you fly over the top of the MATZ via the Boscombe overhead and minimize the risk.

Monocock
8th Mar 2004, 02:20
I was basing my theory on being high enough not to conflict with the circuit traffic at OS. BD are normally happy to pass you on quite early to give a transitting call to OS well before their traffic pattern.

The Nr Fairy
8th Mar 2004, 13:14
I fly from Thruxton, and if I take a friend off to see Stonehenge at the weekend, then I clear Thruxton's ATZ, blind call Boscombe on 126.7 (unless they're active) and climb over the top of the ATZ.

You'll probably not have to climb as you'll be at height anyway, but this keeps you clear of the Danger areas, means it's a bit busy for a few minutes talking to TX then listening to BDN, but it does afford a view of Stonehenge as well.

And one other thing - I remember seeing a note to pilots crossing the ATZ to ring the BDN Tower, but can't remember the number - check the AIP.

englishal
8th Mar 2004, 23:14
You could always fly a bit higher, so you don't need a MATZ penetration or worry about busting ATZs, then call Boscombe radar for a RIS.

Depending from where exactly you're coming from, I'd either route directly o/h thruxton, BDN, or slip in south of middle wallop and D127. At least this keeps you clear of any parachuting if there is any.

EA

ozplane
9th Mar 2004, 00:30
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps and I think it will all come down to weather on the day. If the cloudbase is reasonable the BD overhead will work and if not the Westbury route is the safer option by my navigational standards.

FaPoGai
9th Mar 2004, 01:25
OZPLANE

The overhead is the easiest, esp. Mon/Fri.

If in doubt route via Chilbolton to Alderbury ( just S. of Salisbury )
then direct Compton Abbas. and you do not have to speak to any of them.

Rgds. FPG

Monocock
9th Mar 2004, 02:19
Like I said, if you take that route I would take a hot flask, some sandwiches and a good audio book with you.;)

englishal
9th Mar 2004, 16:36
The difference in time is not so great. Assuming you're coming from CPT, via the o/h its 47.3nm and 28 mins at 100kts. Routing south of Middle Wallop (essentially Chilbolton > Alderbury) is 51.4nm and 30 mins.

yawningdog
9th Mar 2004, 18:11
Hey, just take the bus. Cheaper.

FaPoGai
10th Mar 2004, 01:21
OZPLANE
Did it today ( for the 1003rd rd time ) Excellent lunch at the most scenic airfield in SW England. But dont bother with Boscombe MATS unless you are happy to drone on the radio during your transit. It's not worth the effort to save 2 minutes.But of course at the weekend they are not there, so just do it.

Englishal
Quite so.

Yawningdog
Just try getting a bus from Shaftesbury to C.A!

Monocock
As I transited today they had one departure, a BAC-11 going east
the rigmarole on the radio would have beaten anything JFK has to offer. As for the altitude and heading instructions, God help them.
So Englishal; just go south of the area,switch your radio off and enjoy the beautiful English country side without all that chatter

Have a nice day. Rgds. FPG

BossEyed
10th Mar 2004, 05:19
Just because you don't get a response on 126.7, don't make the mistake of thinking Boscombe is inactive - on most flyable weekends the UAS/AEF Tutors will be operating. On ALL flyable weekends, the Flying Club will be.

Of course, no-one would bust the ATZ anyway... would they? :confused:

(Oh, and Middle Wallop has a Flying Club too)