PDA

View Full Version : AFE or Confuser?

mazzy1026
7th Mar 2004, 16:41
I need some help in deciding on whether to brush up with the AFE Q&A or the PPL confuser?

People on here have said that the AFE Q&A is full of wrong answers, but I already own this as it came in a pack.

Which one actually has the questions from the exam?

Thanks

Lee

BEagle
7th Mar 2004, 17:52
None of them do!

So tough $hit, no you can't cheat. You'll just have to learn the subjects. The latest versions of the PPL exams now have 4 rather than 3 choices and became mandatory on 1 Mar. No-one will have had time to attempt to acquire the answers yet - and hopefully this time the exams won't be compromised.

I am off to the CAA tomorrow to exchange my old PPL papers for the new ones; if you want to know what the questions in the new papers are, come and sit the exams at my RF. After you've done some work first, of course.

mazzy1026
7th Mar 2004, 20:54
No need for that - I dont want to cheat - I am half way through my air law and I want to learn everything so I am more competent. I think learning the answers only would be just complete stupidity and I only wanted to know what the best book was !

BEagle
7th Mar 2004, 23:16
OK - apologies.

But "Which one actually has the questions from the exam?" didn't really sound as though you were interested in much more than question-spotting. Air Law isn't difficult - it's deadly dull and much of the old paper was pretty irrelevant.

Keep at it - and good luck!

wonko the sane
8th Mar 2004, 00:11
Although the AFE book had some use, I found it had so many errors, that it was just very frustrating to use. Coupled with the fact that the "explanations" it provided were usually references to books that you probably didn't have (or incorrect references to books that you did), I regularly gave up using it whilst revising.

The confuser is a pretty good book for revision - it's usually accurate, and has reasonable explanations in the back.

People have this funny idea that using these books is in some way cheating, but it's no different than using a past paper for your school/university exams.

A thorough understanding of the subject is obviously the key, but it doesn't necessarily fully prepare you for answering exam questions. It's important to understand, though, that being an expert in answering exam questions doesn't neccesarily demonstrate a thorough understanding of the subject.

(but now I'm starting to witter on ....)

mazzy1026
8th Mar 2004, 01:24
No worries Beagle - Ill give you that one, I suppose it may have looked like I was after a cheat ;)

The main reason why I was curious i because I recall someone saying that the confuser had some of the real questions in - obviously more of a help than a book that doesnt I suppose.

Wonko - I totally agree what you say, I for one have done A - levels, HND and nearly got my degree, so I know how important it is to study.

Best wishes all

Lee :ok:

murphy1901
8th Mar 2004, 02:27
Having just sat the new "Human Performance" exam yesterday, I found that the Confuser is just as valid a revision aid as it was for the old papers. (Well for that exam anyway!)

As mentioned, there are now 4 answers to choose from but many of the questions seemed very familiar!...