PDA

View Full Version : Slingsby Firefly

jonnoboy
7th Mar 2004, 02:58
Can anybody shed any light on the aerobatic capabilities of the 130 hp firefly.
I am looking to start some aerobatic training, and a local club i have found uses (i believe)130 hp fireflys , as opposed to the 260 hp ex-military variants.

Any opinions out there, as i would like to learn on an aircraft that is fit for the job ?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Mar 2004, 04:07
We used to have a couple on the fleet at Barton, and one is still there now group-owned. They are very capable machines that aerobat well, albeit a bit underpowered. But that's no bad thing for a trainer - teaches energy conservation.

Go for it - you'll learn more in a fixed-pitch lower powered machine than you will in the 'hot ship'. It will give you a much better grounding than a machine with loads of power and and a CSU which takes away the need to worry about over reving the engine.

SSD

Sir George Cayley
7th Mar 2004, 04:35
The LAC Slingsby's were 118hp A models with fixed pitch props so even more demanding in the aerobatic role.

With high aspect ratio wings rolling and flicking was a lethargic affair and the powerful elevator coupled to low power /low penetration made falling out of loops as easy as ....well falling out of loops.

130hp seems wrong; surely the B model was 160 hp and the C 230hp?

Sir George Cayley

Aerobatic Flyer
7th Mar 2004, 19:59
Don't think there is a 130hp version.

I haven't flown the T67A, but have flown aeros in the B (118hp) and C (160hp) and M (200hp) variants.

The B and C models don't have inverted fuel systems, so you're limited to positive G manouvers. Both are pleasant to fly, but the B model climbs slowly (especially with 2 on board), and you'll need to dive to gain speed before all manouvers. The C is significantly better, having a much better climb and a cruising speed that is closer to the entry speed for basic manouvers.

They have quite a slow rate of roll, which I think is a good thing when learning aerobatics. You can fly a passable roll in something like a Pitts just by moving the stick to one side for a couple of seconds. To roll a Slingsby without changing height or heading needs a lot more finesse. However, they suffer from aileron stall if you use full deflection - although I seem to recall that this was more of a problem on the M than on the B or C.

They spin nicely, but on very rare occasions can take longer to recover than expected.

They have superb visibility, but are draughty unless you find one of the later split-canopy models. They are among the easiest aeroplanes to land, which is another benefit when learning aeros; in the early stages you use so much of your mental capacity that you don't need any extra challenges when landing.

I like them. Go and try one - you'll enjoy it!

jonnoboy
8th Mar 2004, 00:13
I will have to check the models (and quoted power figures!) in use at the club, although that won't be enough to deter me by the sounds of things.

Thanks

yakker
8th Mar 2004, 02:48
There is a T67M mkII which is 160hp, with vp prop and inverted fuel/oil systems.

Aim Far
8th Mar 2004, 17:53
I have the M200 version and its a lot of fun for aeros. Rolls a bit slower than the CAP10B but pitch manoeuvres are more fun. I don't think there is a 130hp unless its the oldest A model or something. Bs and Cs were both 160hp I think. If you want to try the highest powered model, Stapleford isn't far from you and they have a M260 they use for aero training.