PDA

View Full Version : Panshanger to be built on?

CSX001
6th Mar 2004, 17:21
I heard a nasty rumour from a usually reliable source about the muddy old airfield at Panshanger. According to the rumour , plans are quietly being drawn up to build houses on it while nobody is looking. Does anybody know more?

Charlie
x

146fixer
6th Mar 2004, 23:17
I have heard that one before.I think I also heard the site only has a 10 year lease on it.But that was only signed a few years ago.I liked the airfeild but cant stand the bloke running it and now I will not set foot on the place.Panshanger I think has been their since the 1920's it would be a shame for it to go.
www.mdaeroservices.com

IO540
6th Mar 2004, 23:52
It would be a great shame - even if the man there makes you do an overhead join just for the fun of it, where there is no traffic for miles :O

2Donkeys
7th Mar 2004, 01:19
Panshanger had its death sentence written out the day they allowed those houses to be built at the Western end of the airfield.

Its present occupants don't seem to be the most popular people in aviation but it would be a sad loss fo aviation in Herts if it were to go.

Give us a hint as to when this is supposed to be happening...

jumpseater
8th Mar 2004, 00:17
There have been many times when panshanger has been under threat, one option still brought up frequently is gravel extraction. I'm not aware of any immediate threat but when the lease runs out, it will no doubt raise its head again.

I believe the reason the T2 type hanger is not used is due to local planning restrictions, and the overhead join is I think to mitigate noise disturbance, thus helping to keep the airfield open. If memory serves me it came into use late 30's and certainly the 40's saw some limited de Haviland test flying from there, it also acted as a decoy for the Hatfield site against the attentions of the Luftwaffe

Monocock
8th Mar 2004, 00:51
I'd gladly be the one to pour the cement over that greasy arrogant operator to incorporate him into the foundations.

Mind you, he'd probably talk his way out somehow.:suspect:

lelandv
9th Mar 2004, 01:32
Monocock,

Throw some cement over the grass runway while yer at it ! ;)

Leland