PDA

View Full Version : Two Man TriStar

Whoaaa
4th Mar 2004, 09:53
Rumour has it that one of Orient Thai Tristar Captains took off without an FE! Does anyone have more info??:eek:

If this is true then Udom is really pushing his luck. Heard also that they are now ban from flying into Korea.:confused:

Taikonaut
6th Mar 2004, 16:59
Appearently this is true. Got it from a good source that the Capt. intentionally left the FE on the tarmac in Phuket.

Supposedly nothing has been done and both the CA (ex CX) and FO are still flying the line.

Incidentally, saw at least 5 Orient 747s on the ground in BKK the other day. Perhaps the Korean ban is true.

spk
17th Mar 2004, 16:09
Does anyone know the reason for the ban from flying to Korea?

exeng
17th Mar 2004, 18:40
If it was true that the F/E was left on the tarmac then that would perhaps be a good enough reason for banning them from flying to anywhere!

Regards
Exeng

spk
18th Mar 2004, 07:38
The problem is I don't really believe this rumour. It sounds very improbable.

Yes, an FE may be left on tarmac but it didn't say that there isn't another FE on board. May be the FE left behind is off duty or something. Any captain especially ex-CX is unlikely to do that. At the end of the day, they risk their life too to pull a stunt like that.

411A
18th Mar 2004, 14:16
Having personally repossesed a TriStar from Udom, with a full crew complement (no pay, no keep....sorry), and finding it in deplorable condition, nothing from Orient Thai would seem unbelievable.

STBY BUS
20th Mar 2004, 07:33
To All,

I can confirm Taikonaut's statement. Also heard from a reliable source - the Capt (ex CX) did intentionally leave the FE on the tarmac in Phuket. I heard it was over a hot brakes issue and the FE's unwillingness for an immediate departure.

This is probably the reason he is ex CX:rolleyes:

Flight Detent
20th Mar 2004, 09:39
Hi all,
I can't believe ANY Captain would be silly enough to leave one of the operating crew behind on purpose, even CX!

(I flew with AHK (CX Company) for long enough to know the attitude of CX!)

We had some CX check captains for some time, and they thought they could operate the aircraft (B747 Freighter) by themselves, it was just that attitude that really got under my skin!

The Airplane Flight Manual specifically states the required minimum crew, there is no excuses here at all!

Apart from the FM, it's just plain stupid!!

Ex CX, it doesn't surprise me!!

Cheers

Huck
20th Mar 2004, 12:44
One of my favorite scenes from "Fate is the Hunter": the captain is so mad at the new F/O on a DC-2, he takes off while the F/O is still in the tail stacking luggage!

GlueBall
21st Mar 2004, 01:16
This topic sounds like a wind-up. Come on, guys. Wake up. :ouch:

STBY BUS
21st Mar 2004, 23:46
GlueBall

The topic is no wind up.

Two independant and reliable sources have confirmed that it had happened and the Captain was a past aircrew member from CX and holds a British passport.:eek:

OVHD PANEL
24th Mar 2004, 16:20
Is this the same guy that went nose to nose, on the taxi way, with TG in Chiang Mai resulting in a filed report by TG??

Taikonaut
26th Mar 2004, 04:52
No wind up here folks.

Heard it from a source that it was so intentional that the FE's flight case and overnight bag were removed from the cockpit and left on the airbridge.

Renegade captain is one thing but shame on the FO for going along (all for $2500/ mo.). They are both still gainfully employ at Orient Thai no less. :uhoh:

HotDog
26th Mar 2004, 08:44
I could be wrong but if it was the Capt. I think it was, then he was an ex Cathay Flight Engineer on the Tristar fleet. They gave him a lobotomy and he became a pilot. If your F/Es are that useless, they shouldn't be operating. Nevertheless, the Tristar is one complicated airplane and is certified to be operated by a three man crew. I'm not saying that it is impossible to operate without the Flight Engineer but certain vital functions would have removed one of the pilots from their seats to set up pressurization and fuel management for the different phases of flight as a minimum, not to mention passenger comfort, i.e. cabin temp. No way would I fly on Orient Thai if this rumour is proven to be true.

Taikonaut
26th Mar 2004, 18:06
Cold Canuck, if that's the excuse then the CA and FO are even more useless. A cheap stunt like that can easily shut down the company.

Then again, at $3000/ mo., you do get what you've paid for.:yuk:

jtr
27th Mar 2004, 03:02
411 missing an opportunity to get on the pedestal about CX!!

Senility is setting in:}

Flight Detent
27th Mar 2004, 08:10
Hi all,
From what I hear Thai Orient are paying their technical crews, I guess you get what you pay for!!

Cheers

PS> That's why I didn't go anywhere near them about a year ago!

STBY BUS
27th Mar 2004, 09:18
Hot dog

Heard the same thing about the capt being ex CX L1011 FE.

The FO was reported to have said that he was so new to the company that he didnt know what was going on until the capt closed the doors without the FE. Rumored that the FE was not happy to depart immediately with hot brakes after landing long and well above bug speed.

Sounds like bluffing was taken to a new extreme.

Makes my flying day sound dull by comparison.:O

411A
27th Mar 2004, 10:59
Actually jtr, no need to say much at all as the extreme foolishness of some CX folks should be clear to all.:hmm:

jtr
27th Mar 2004, 11:35
Attaboy 411, knew you wouldn't let me down old fella.:ok:

STBY BUS
28th Mar 2004, 05:19
Taikonaut, we must have the same source.

Heard that it was all kept quiet by another brit further up the chain also heard the FO has left the company already

HotDog
28th Mar 2004, 08:11
411A what has this to do with Cathay? The Capt. in question was a CX F/E and he re trained as a Tristar FO but was subsequently dismissed from the company. His position in Orient Thai is, or was Capt. Safety Manager.:{

SeldomFixit
28th Mar 2004, 09:47
name him and shame him :*

Taikonaut
28th Mar 2004, 17:24
Stby Bus, perhaps, but I didn't know that the FO has left the company.

I was told that the captain is a british passport holder, an ex-CX (don't know what position) and ex-Novair.

As far as another Brit trying to keep things hush hush...???

But the chief pilot/ DO (Canadian also ex-Novair) is the one doing the damage control by sweeping everything under the rug.

Have no idea wheter or not Udom and the Thai CAA even know about this:sad:

411A
29th Mar 2004, 04:23
Sweeping under the rug.

Well yes, par for the course with this company.
BE is an OK guy, and has his hands full, i'm sure.
Odom has had his Thai operating certificate revoked before...maybe now again is in the cards, if this nonsense continues.

fergineer
29th Mar 2004, 12:32
Well it looks like it wont happen again, the Tri-Stars have been sold so they will all have left the country by now or at least by the end of the week. I agree with 411A BE is a nice guy. As to naming the guy, why, most people who know the Tri-Star guys will have enough information on what hes been put on here to identify the guy concerned, another nail in another guys coffin, before anyone knows the real details not just the rumours. If he did it then thats bad but lets not jeopordise the guys career until the facts are known.

spk
29th Mar 2004, 15:51
Does this mean Orient Thai is having financial trouble (again)?

They seems to expand their domestic operations with 3 new routes with twice daily frequency on each route.

Basil
29th Mar 2004, 17:05
I freely admit to being a bit naive here but HTF do you get experienced people to fly for the money OT offer :confused:

Taikonaut
30th Mar 2004, 01:45
Cold Canuck, you sound like you really know the outfit and perhaps even work for them.

Your stupid remarks on being over 50 and from the third world is way off the point.

So frickin' far off that the FE that was left on the tarmac is an Aussie and well under 50!!!

Nice of you to try to defend the skipper but concious or not there are certain lines that you do not cross as a captain, regardless. Even in the darkess part of Africa, you will never leave a man behind. The man was wrong and you know it. :*

Basil, if you are hungry enough you will do anything.

Come to think of it. I probably wouldn't mind being left behind on the island paradise in Thailand. :E

HotDog
30th Mar 2004, 02:03
Cold Canuck I can assure you that the F/E in question understands English perfectly, being a first world professional and a former commissioned officer in the military.

HotDog
30th Mar 2004, 05:43
Info I have is second hand admitidly .

All the more reason you should think twice before making stupid, irresponsible remarks.:(

spk
31st Mar 2004, 01:32
Hope Orient Thai can become mature as a safer, more professional airline. They may not be perfect but they are the airline that really open the competition in the Thailand aviation industry

STBY BUS
3rd Apr 2004, 07:27
Heard that the Captain has been "let go" and the FE has been reasigned to the B747 since L1011s are gone.

What is the message there :ok:

Taikonaut
3rd Apr 2004, 17:53
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but "Cold Canuck" has conveniently removed all his posts from this thread.:suspect:

OVHD PANEL
7th Apr 2004, 06:32
Just come off a layover in BKK. Had heard that the Capt was sacked because of the taxi incident with TG. Sounds as if it was the final straw to a long list of incidents by this man. I was also told who he was..can anyone confirm the initials CG.

Also heard that a few L10 guys were kept on for ferry flights, is this true.

HotDog
7th Apr 2004, 10:28
Yes, I can confirm those initials.

Taikonaut
7th Apr 2004, 17:41
My source confirmed the same, CG.

Dengue_Dude
11th Apr 2004, 07:20
I never knew whether the C stood for Craig or Contraversial, because he's always been that.

Having known him since the seventies when he was a very new F/E at Lyneham he rapidly became a sh1t magnet. Good to have around because it kept that substance away from everyone else, but at a distance.

The incident related above is unsurprising, the self-destruct button is obviously wire-locked on.

Sad really because he has the capability of being really good company.

'The light bulb has to WANT to change'