PDA

View Full Version : Prop replacement (Aztec)

Timothy
3rd Mar 2004, 05:39
I heard today that one of the props on the Aztec was found at Notice 75 to be "scrap". It's the CSU unit itself, rather than the blades, that is apparently beyond repair.

Before I just toddle out and buy another one, is this an opportunity to replace both props with quiet ones? Are there any quiet props certified for the Aztec E?

What will it cost? How long will it take? Are there any disadvantages?

Your urgent answers will be appreciated as I have to get the old girl airworthy in the next couple of weeks.

Timothy

Keef
3rd Mar 2004, 08:09
Don't know about 3-bladers for the Aztec, but we had a new CSU fitted to our existing blades a few years ago and it was a LOT cheaper than an all-new prop. I expected the blades to be "scrap" at the next Not75, but they weren't. The new CSU now has about 700 hours on it and we're still on the same blades etc.

Timothy
3rd Mar 2004, 14:14
It would seem that Hartzell are now at the very least "unwilling" to sell the CSU separately.

Timothy

A and C
3rd Mar 2004, 15:04
I think that there is a mis-understanding here the CSU is bolted to the engine not the prop and is NOT subject to the notice 75 check.

Keef you could not have had a CSU fitted to your blades , I think that you mean that you had a new prop hub.

It should be no problem to get an OHC CSU try .

www.airpart.com

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Mar 2004, 15:43
Hi Timothy,

I had a quick look a the websites for the three most likely contenders (McCauley, Hartzell and MT) but none seemed to be offering anything exciting for the Aztec.

There is a guy on the piper owner site, looking to see if people are interested in an upgrade with the more powerful Navajo engines and matching three bladers.

FD

Timothy
4th Mar 2004, 02:45
Thank you all.

I am particularly interested in A & C's point.

If the CSU does not go to the prop shop, how could the prop shop tell me that the CSU was beyond repair?

Timothy

146fixer
4th Mar 2004, 03:25
I would agree with A & C here.All the CSU's I have had any thing to do with are fitted to the engine.I have never worked on an Aztec mind you.Have another word with the prop shop doing the notice 75.As for a three bladed prop your best bett is to e mail the likes of McCauley and Hartzell and ask them if they have a three bladed prop with an STC for your aircraft.
www.mdaeroservices.com

Timothy
4th Mar 2004, 05:55
I have never worked on an Aztec mind you.Totally bog-standard, no surprises, IO-360 installation as I understand it.

Curioser and curioser.

Timothy

54.98N
4th Mar 2004, 06:07
Tim,

The Aztec uses an O-540 or IO-540 depending on vintage. The Senecas use IO-360s.

Regards

A and C
4th Mar 2004, 14:17
Timothy check your PM,s

Timothy
4th Mar 2004, 22:07
My mistake, it was the hub all along.

A reconditioned hub is £1600 :(

Better than a new prop at £6,000 mind you :)

So, the cost does not justify moving to quiet props, but thank you all for your help.

Timothy