PDA

View Full Version : Eurocontrol CFMU

Exospheric
3rd Mar 2004, 01:04
CFMU are recruiting at the moment.

Considering applying. Anyone got any tips, pointers, war stories, sad stories etc etc

Many Thanks

Minesapint
3rd Mar 2004, 01:55
Are you French or Rumanian? Most seem to be but they are, for the most part, good guys. I will see some of them next week and ask what is being looked for.

flowman
3rd Mar 2004, 06:25
Exospheric,
I've been here for 9 years and it's a good place to work and to live.
To correct the previous poster there are only 3 Rumanians (one is u/t) and 6 French. The majority are Brits (about 15) and Italians (about 11) from a total staff of around 58.
There are I think 5 Irish in FMD but lots more in Eurocontrol in general and a large Irish community in Brussels with the usual bars and clubs to go along to (I am assuming you are Irish).
The best thing about working here though is working alongside all the different nationalities - I think there are 21 different countries represented.
You will miss the thrill of live ATC and talking to the aeroplanes but this place has developed very quickly, it has changed completely compared to when I started, so it has its own challenges.
Come for a visit. You will be most welcome.
If you have any specific questions send me a PM.

Exospheric
3rd Mar 2004, 14:04
Thanks for that Flowman, sounds good.

What is the situation for the family, as regards schools, property etc

flowman
3rd Mar 2004, 16:28
Family life is very good. Unlike U.K. children are welcome everywhere so going out and enjoying yourselves will be easy. Eating out is inexpensive (although there are thousands of restaurants to choose from in Brussels to suit all pockets).
Coming from Ireland (as my family did) you will miss the sea and the countryside.
Whether its easy for your children or not depends on how old they are, they will have to learn a second language. Aged 10 or under there is no problem. You have the choice of sending them to Belgian schools if they are very young ( say 5 or 6 years) where they will be speaking French or Dutch every day. Some of my colleagues took this route, their kids were bilingual in about 6 months.
Most children of foreign parents working in the EU or Eurocontrol go to one of the European schools, there are 3 in Brussels. If they take this route they will receive some of their lessons in their second language from age 12. Older than 10 means they will have to work very hard to catch up.
You also have the choice to send your kids to private British or American Schools. Primary is not too expensive, secondary is very expensive (about 18000 Euros per year!), but this way there are no language problems. Only really suitable if your children are older and you intend to return home fairly quickly. And you're rich!
Property is generally inexpensive compared to U.K. (and Dublin!) and outgoings on mortgage as a percentage of your salary are lower for an equivalent property. Have a look at www.ferco.be and www.findahome.be for properties in areas popular with foreign nationals. Stealth taxes are high though, things like rates, rubbish collection, water, road tax are all expensive compared to home. Labour charges for any renovation are astronomical, so don't even think about it.
I hope this is helpful to you and any others thinking about moving to Flow.

Exospheric
3rd Mar 2004, 19:05
That's all a great help.

Thanks very much !!

fourthreethree
3rd Mar 2004, 21:35
To add to flowmans comments, with regard to school fees, it is worth mentioning that Eurocontrol will pay a good percentage of the 18000 euros, I dont have the figures in front of me, but dont be scared by the big numbers.
From what little I do know about Brussels, ( I am a Maastricht dweller) there is a very large British community, so much so that I was planning a move there myself recently. There is a lot of help online also, try this link (http://www.blbe.irisnet.be/guide/index_en.htm)
I would also reccommend the Bulletin Magazine to get you in the picture.

flowman
3rd Mar 2004, 22:27
Eurocontrol will refund 9200 Euros towards school costs (the equivalent of the European school costs).