PDA

View Full Version : PRM approaches - TCAS RA/TA or TA?

Fright Level
2nd Mar 2004, 18:20
We're just running through PRM approaches in the (CAA) sim following FAA guidelines for the "new" PRM approaches onto PHL 27L.

Given the proximity to the other runway, shouldn't the TCAS be set to TA as we do going into LAX/SFO etc when parallel approaches are being conducted? I can't find any guidance on the FAA site, however the Australian CAA suggests switching to TA for the approach then back to RA/TA once stabilised in a break out manouevre. Link (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/Pilotcentre/factsheets/ILSPRM.htm).

Our training department don't seem to know the definitive answer, so wondered what do you do with the TCAS in your PRM approaches?

Blue Heeler
2nd Mar 2004, 18:35
Interesting question. This matter has been recently raised here in Australia. The ICAO standard is R/A, but the Australian procedures were published to require T/A.

I believe the Australian AIP will be amended to conform with ICAO.

alexban
2nd Mar 2004, 23:17
If I'm not wrong the tcas on our 737's automatically goes to TA below 1000' .Anyway,the tcas calculates chances of intersecting trajectories,so if you are doing parralel aproaches -no reason for RA ,when on LOC ,at least.
Brgds Alex

quid
3rd Mar 2004, 21:19
We leave the TCAS on R/A. If a "Traffic Alert" is issued, we follow the controller's instructions. If there is a R/A during the breakout, we follow the controller's instructions on heading, but the TCAS vertical commands.

Fright Level
9th Mar 2004, 02:19
Thanks for your responses.