PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen Flitemap..anyone using it?

vsukpadman
2nd Mar 2004, 14:33
Hi all..

just upgraded my excellent Jepp flitestar IFR to flitemap (very good deal it was too ! )

I bought a new laptop which prompted this , the very small Sony TR1MP...
Im very impressed with the software indeed, but one question to those who have Flitemap..

where do you put your laptop , so you can use it? - is it actually usable in flight, or do you really someone in the right hand seat to be using it?
Given that my laptop is small , the coaming would be the obvious, but even that would restrict the view

Any answers appreciated..its a great bit of kit!

Bill Padley
London

S-Works
2nd Mar 2004, 15:51
I have it installed on a Toshiba Tablet PC so it lies flat. I have PC Card GPS reciever in it. It works OK but does need someone in the right seat to hold it.

I will post a pic this afternoon.

vsukpadman
2nd Mar 2004, 16:52
bose

cheers for that..
I was gonna go for the pc card GPS but went for a nifty bluetooth GPS receiver..just been testing it at home...works REALLY well .....look forward to seeing the piccy!

Bill Padley
London

S-Works
2nd Mar 2004, 17:07
You might struggle with the bluetooth, I tried the one that sticks on the window thinking it would work better. The problem was as soon as the engine went to cruise power with the avionics on it stopped working. I think that the electrical "noise" from the engine drowned out the bluetooth signal.

The problem was not isolated to my aircraft either.

Keygrip
2nd Mar 2004, 21:57
The ideal solution is the t.Pad800 sold by a Chicago company called NavAero.

Have a look at www.navaero.com

The t.pad is an external, touch screen (stylus, not finger) that simply straps to your leg. There were some teething problems when the product rolled out last year - but they are PROBABLY solved by now.

Laptop goes under seat, in luggage compartment, in seat pocket etc - all closed up, no screen visible - t.pad does all that you need it to do and will run any and every bit of software on your laptop.

I have nothing to do with navaero (any more). Company run by back-stabbing :mad: but product was pretty clever.

vsukpadman
2nd Mar 2004, 22:11
Keygrip..

what a clever product....thought it was a tiny PC at first , but its just the screen....

great idea though!

Bill Padley
London