View Full Version : Pprune Fly-In June-July

LowNSlow
26th Feb 2004, 17:22
As BRL suggested when I was whingeing about missing fly-ins, I've decided to try to organise one on a date that suits me!

The dates will be one of the following :
Sat 26th June
Sun 27th June
Sat 03th July
Sun 04th July
Sat 10th July
Sun 11th July

The locations would be either:
1. Welshpool (home of the Bacon Bap)
2. Turweston (new home of the PFA)
3. Elvington (home of the Yorkshire Aircraft Museum)
4. Old Buckenham (home of the Killer All Day Breakfast)

All have tarmac runways and even Elvington is only a couple of hours from the deepest Sarf.

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted :ok:

BR L / Keygrip any chance of making this a sticky please?

Fly Stimulator
26th Feb 2004, 18:06
Neither Turweston nor Old Buckenham permit microlights.

You may or may not regard that as a drawback!

BRL
26th Feb 2004, 18:45
Obviously no4 will do it for me, being a bit of a lardy it sounds great...!!!

As for a sticky I will wait until the next one (Cov) gets out of the way first then stick this up then. Plenty of time to go for this one to generate loads of interest. I will also make it a poll for the dates and venue but for now it would be handy if people did put down here what their preferences are regarding date/venu then narrow it down a bit nearer the time.

I will start with, 26 or 27th June at 4. Old Buckenham (home of the Killer All Day Breakfast) :ok:

Chilli Monster
26th Feb 2004, 19:18
Forget the weekend of 10/11th July at Turweston. It's British Grand prix weekend and the airfield is used as the fixed wing site for the Grand Prix. PPR only and a hefty landing fee.

LowNSlow
26th Feb 2004, 21:01
Fly Stimulator if there are microlighters who want to come then it IS a problem. It would be a pity as Old Buck has the advantage of grass and tarmac runways plus the aforementioned Killer Breakfast :ok: as well as being an all-around nice gaff. Plus peeps can pop off to Beccles, Shipdham etc which are all close by.

BR L all your suggestions sound sensible to me.

C'mon Ppruners, get your suggestions in.

Fly Stimulator
26th Feb 2004, 21:35
LowNSlow,

As a microlight owner I agree it would indeed be a shame to be excluded, but on the other hand at the Duxford PPRuNe event last year mine was the only microlight there as far as I know, so the actual number of prooners affected would probably be low.

I often go to Turweston ferrying Cirri to and fro for maintenance and I also visited Old Buckenham in one last summer. The egg and bacon baps at Turweston are indeed fine specimens, but Old Buckenham is a much prettier spot. The somewhat short and slightly uphill runway 07 warrants some caution on the W&B front for anyone thinking of loading up the old flying club PA28 with four people for a day out, especially if the obstructions at the end are still there.

Cusco
27th Feb 2004, 04:32
I can confirm that Old Buck is a great place: Just up the road from our strip: In fact its our local gas station.

If you give the owner Paul Layzell a ring in advance you might be able to fit in a sky-dive or trip in a Stearman.

In fact I'd say its essential to ring as they often have corporate days and an annual weekend open day with displays which they wouldn't want interrupting by a whole load of PPRUNERS dropping in mid-display.(shades of abandoned Reds flypast last year)

Also loads of NIMBYs nearby so brief of noise abatement procedures essential.

Website www.oldbuck.com

tel01953860806

I'll pop over when the day is known: our local strip is 10 NM away and accepts visitors (PPR and GBP25.00 cheques payable to Cusco Inc.)

Only jokin'

Safe flying
PS Low'n'Slow Their Open day is 27th June this year.
Cusco

BRL
27th Feb 2004, 21:01
Come on all, lets start having a few dates/locations for this. Not long to go now... !!!!!:D

NinjaBill
27th Feb 2004, 22:55
Im ok for any of those dates, just cant do aug 14/15th or 21/22nd, and would like to go to anywhere other than elvington, as its only 15minutes from sherburn, where i fly from, and i think i may struggle to hare an aircraft all day for 30mins flying.

NB

LowNSlow
27th Feb 2004, 22:58
Thanks Cusco , scratch Old Buck on 27th June from the list then.

Does nobody fancy the trek up to ELvington?

Flyboynick
28th Feb 2004, 02:36
One for your diaries for August this year. The PFA/Merlin Flying Club Robin Hood Fly In will be held on Saturday 21st August 2004 at Hucknall Aerodrome, Notts. It's in the preliminery planning stages at the moment but there will be a PPRuNe element. Keep watching nearer the time as I'll start a thread with more details.

Nick

LowNSlow
29th Feb 2004, 01:23
Ninjabill I'm sure one of us coming up from the South could lob into Sherburn to pickyou up :ok: :ok:

LowNSlow
2nd Mar 2004, 01:29
Back to the top. C'mon folks surely you're not ALL going on holiday at the end of June :confused:

BEagle
2nd Mar 2004, 01:46
Anywhere famous for 'great baps' sounds good:E :E

Pink_aviator
2nd Mar 2004, 14:17
I WANT TO COME ,I WANT TO COME ,I WANT TO COME .

I am sure I can bunk up "is that the term" with KNOBBYGH .

He doesn't know it yet (tee hee ) as he is away flying , but I am sure if he is free and available, I can twist his arm ,and squeeze in .

I may even have my liscence by then . so could SOLO , gulp .

THE PINKSTER

LowNSlow
3rd Mar 2004, 01:32
Pinkster you'd be more than welcome.

BEagle can you think of anywhere else with great baps ;)

LowNSlow
10th Mar 2004, 14:54
Are there no further suggestions for a fly-in people?

S-Works
10th Mar 2004, 15:50
What about Kemble? Friendly to everything and great food as well.

Tall_guy_in_a_152
10th Mar 2004, 16:05
I hope to fly-in to this one.
Cannot do 10/11 July (British GP), beyond that I would prefer Sundays over Saturdays. Old Buck has an air display and open day on 27 June. Not sure of the format so fly-in may be discouraged or encouraged by the organisers.

TG

Whirlybird
10th Mar 2004, 16:48
Having flown all over Wales yesterday, it occurred to me that one of the South Wales airfields would be nice; great scenery, and if you go via South Wales there are no mountains for those who panic at the sight of brown bits on the map. :D

Haverfordwest is lovely, and you can fly round the coast, and out to Strumble Head. I seem to remember the food's good, but it's ages since I've been there, so I'm not certain. I was at West Wales (ex-Aberford) yesterday, for the first time. At the moment they're unlicensed, working on the runway (interesting approach over the JCBs!), and have no food. But I suspect that could all change, especially if they have a fly-in; they seem very friendly and very keen. And it's a great situation; on a hill by the sea. Swansea is a bit closer; I haven't been there for ages, but last time I did, the food was great. :ok: There's also Pembrey, but I'm not sure of the situation there with respect to the danger area - though I was there once.

But overall, all are in a lovely place, and with great flying and airfield hopping for people who don't want to only visit one airfield in a day. It's a long way from the North, but days will be long then. And I suspect loads of PPRuNers haven't been over there. So...what do you all think?

LowNSlow
11th Mar 2004, 17:57
Whirly I'd be happy with Haverfordwest (aka Whitybush International) as I did half my PPL, IMC and Twin rating there but haven't been back for ages. Would the distance put others off?

LowNSlow
16th Mar 2004, 05:37
Suggestions so far:

Locations:

Haverfordwest
Old Buckenham
Kemble

Dates:

Not 10/11 July or 14/15 or 21/22

27/06 good if you want to see an airshow, bad if you don't!

Days

Sunday rather than Saturday for TGIA152

It looks like Elvington, Turweston & Welshpool are non-starters so far.

BRL any chance of making this a poll with the following candidates please:

Haverfordwest
Old Buckenham
Kemble
Elvington
Sandown

I've added Sandown (IoW) to cover North, South, East & West plus kemble being more or less in the middle :ok:

oli carley
16th Mar 2004, 12:37
ill b up for elvington on the 27th, wont b comin far, from sherburn in fact!! but itll still b an excuse to take a plane up. Afterall, itll b different landing on a 3000m runway or whatever it is, different to a 600m grass strip at sherburn anyway!.

cheers guys, ol

AerBabe
16th Mar 2004, 13:36
I may be a microlighter by then too... So somewhere not too far from Andoverish would be good. Can't find my diary to check dates right now though.

LowNSlow
17th Mar 2004, 06:24
I've posted on the Poll that the Fly-In weekend will be the 3rd or f4th of July. Anybody got any problems with committing aviation that weekend?