PDA

View Full Version : ATSA's Arrest @ GLA

tug3
25th Feb 2004, 03:13
Just read on Ceefax that a flight from Glasgow to Birmingham was delayed due to the Captain refusing to depart following a passenger's repeated attempts to access the flight deck. According to ceefax, aforesaid pax was "an assistant Air Traffic Controller from the airport". This individual was arrested but subsequently released!

P45 in the post me thinks!

caniplaywithmadness
25th Feb 2004, 03:27
Whoever this person is, they are not an assistant at EGPF, as according to BBC News, this person was 27, and there is not an assistant at Glasgow who is anywhere near 27 yrs old.

The BBC web site has the story here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/3518767.stm)

Jerricho
25th Feb 2004, 03:33
Take the specific facts from the media with the usual distain. Words like "believe" and "tried to enter" (did he actually physically try to open the door and enter......who knows?!)

The crux is that it sounds like an "ATC employee" as quoted in other media made an ass of himself on a jet in a way the Captain felt it warrented the subsequent outcome.

Maybe the truth of what actually happened will become clearer.

tug3
25th Feb 2004, 04:06
CIPWM - Cheers for the link, much more detail than the Teletext (Sorry - mis I-D on 'Ceefax') report on ITV (STV, pg 334). No mention of age, just alleged occupation and actions resulting in delay and subsequent arrest.

Thanks for the corrections to my opening statement.

side-saddled
7th Mar 2004, 20:03
It was an assistant at Birmingham, I know the guy.

Apparently he asked if he could get on the filght deck but the cabin staff freaked out because he's an Indian with a thick Glaswegian accent, taxied back to stand and the police boarded and arrested him.

Nearly Man
7th Mar 2004, 20:08
Cabin staff, freaking out, OTT, irrational ... shurly shome mistake?

Mr Chips
8th Mar 2004, 00:58
OK, I don't know all the facts.. but is this guy the only person in the ATC world who doesn't know about the current locked door policy?

I'm also very surprised that the police would actually arrest him if all he did was ask.....