PDA

View Full Version : How can I visit an ATC centre?

big.al
24th Feb 2004, 00:09
As a humble PPL I feel I don't know enough about ATC procedures beyond what I need to say according to CAP413 etc. For example, receiving a LARS service one day from Humberside, I was surprised to hear another aircraft being allocated the same transponder code. Upon querying this I was very politely advised that the ATCO only had six codes to allocate and was working eight aircraft, therefore had to double-up on codes.

The threads on the Private Flying forum about IFR/VFR have also proved very interesting (yes Chilli Monster - you could run seminars and I'll bet you'd get a lot of interest!) and this has led me to wondering whether it's ever possible to visit a (preferably fairly local) ATC or LARS unit. I'm sure having a better understanding of what happens at the other end of the R/T will give me a better understanding of what I should be saying/doing when flying, beyond the parrot-fashion version quoted in CAP413.

Has anyone organised such visits in the past? Would I be welcomed into the 'Lions Den' as PPrune calls it..?

PPRuNe Radar
24th Feb 2004, 00:56
Let us know where you would prefer to visit and I bet someone here can help ... or knows someone who can.

Pilots are always welcome at ATC facilities in the UK. The education which takes place is often two way :)

big.al
24th Feb 2004, 16:32
PpruNe Radar - many thanks.

I live near Chesterfield but fly from Gamston, so anywhere not too far away would be ideal (Humberside perhaps?). They've always been very helpful when I ask for RIS.

I would imagine one or two of our C172 group would be interested in tagging along also. Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Regards

big.al

Turn It Off
24th Feb 2004, 17:41
Hey,

Take your self out on a day trip and do a land away at a quiet airport. When i been on visits, I got to airfield and called the tower from the flying club. The flying club will have the number for booking out.

So Far have done Manston, Bournemouth and Cardiff. The controllers always seem more than happy to answer any questions ( and offer some top advice on how heavy your landing just was!! )

Hope that helps a little!

Me

bagpuss lives
25th Feb 2004, 19:12
I'm sure you'd be welcomed at Manchester ACC too if it's not too far for you, especially since you may fly below or around our East bit :ok:

If you're interested let me know and I'll give you contact details etc :)

Keef
26th Feb 2004, 08:21
If you ask the right people in the right way, you may even get invited to LTCC or to Swanwick. I've been to those, to Luton, and to many small towers around Europe, and recommend it highly. For a pilot, it gives a far more meaningful understanding of what goes on than you can ever get from just listening and talking.

MilliganNI
26th Feb 2004, 18:38
Just while we're on this topic, I have my NATS interview soon. Is there anyone here who works in Belfast Aldergrove tower who could pull some strings so I could get in for an hour or so on Monday? I know its extremely short notice but it would be really helpful!!!

Thanks very much,

Andy M