PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Atc

LondonRadar
22nd Feb 2004, 01:35
Does anyone know if EGGP managed to fill the ATCO post? If so, who got it and what did the package include? Just curious.

Cheers.;)

royman
26th Feb 2004, 15:05
As far as I know they've held interviews, but havent heard if they've appointed anyone yet.

LondonRadar
28th Feb 2004, 19:00
Royman,
Do you know if many applied?

Cheers.

the hunted one
29th Feb 2004, 03:19
Hi there,

I think I can answer these ones. 6 applied for two posts. I know that one was definitely successful, presumably there were 2. Package included: salary as advertised and not a lot else!

royman
1st Mar 2004, 03:23
London, The hunted one has more info than me.
Someone I know there told me that when the ATCA's asked for more money they were told that they worked at a low cost airport........!?!?!
Suppose that means you can get paid as little as £4.99 for a shift + airport tax!
This should get transferred to Jet Blast but apparently/allegedly its true.

ILS 119.5
1st Mar 2004, 05:05
Just out of curiosity, where have/are the current ATCO's going to? I know that in today's market radar qualified ATCO's are like rocking horse s**t. They must be going to a unit which is short of fully trained people, but where? This movement of ATCO's is very similar to the pilot game, someone recruits with a larger salary which creates a void at the bottom end for companies to recruit inexperienced ATCO's with maybe TWR only ratings. Not that this is wrong and I'm sure EGGP has many experienced professional ATCO's, but I wonder sometimes. Your thoughts.

Chilli Monster
1st Mar 2004, 05:25

They're not necessarily going anywhere except retirement perhaps?

ILS 119.5
1st Mar 2004, 05:46
CM

Maybe, but some units keep ATCO's on after retirement due to the shortage of radar qualified personnel. I know that LBA have two retired ATCO's working. So retirement is not the answer.

ILS

Chilli Monster
1st Mar 2004, 06:01

That may be your experience - but the controllers concerned have to want to stay. There are a lot out there who are looking to go early - and indeed are taking it when they can.

Yellow Snow
1st Mar 2004, 06:28
One of the girls that left has decided to try her luck at the sharp end!
EGLL tower.

ILS 119.5
2nd Mar 2004, 01:18
CM

You maybe right, one to EGLL and one to retire. But I just wondered about the movement of ATCO's around airports and the general shortage of ATCO's.

ILS

EGCC24L
2nd Mar 2004, 19:18
Does anybody know if EGGP are looking for any ATC assistants?

squibbler
3rd Mar 2004, 21:36
One to EGLL.

One to EGNM.

Nobody due to retire for a good few years.

Not many takers for the 2 posts available.

Poor pay & no perks

Feet are becoming very itchy.............

Tower Ranger
3rd Mar 2004, 22:37
I`m not surprised at 41k topline, they`re probably getting more than that on the other side of Stanlow!!

Friio4
5th Mar 2004, 07:00
A tube of Daktarin should sort the feet problem out.

squibbler
6th Mar 2004, 04:47
Wise guy :8

I think a considerable pay rise might have a more suitable effect. Either that or just hit the road - and I'm not alone.....;)

Spudmonkey
8th Mar 2004, 01:49
I'm led to believe by a good friend that Liverpool has a very good working environment in ATC. Although with the small unsetlling minority you come across everywhere.

Perhaps the hit the road comment should be preceeded by a fall from a great height?

squibbler
8th Mar 2004, 21:15
Your spelling mistakes did make me chortle. Almost in the style of our own error strewn management memos ;)

For "unsetlling" as you so amusingly wrote try substituting "unsettled", a much more appropriate term.

I'd be really interested to know just what constitutes a "very good working environment in ATC". If a nearly new ATC facility with shiny artificial pot plants and the latest kit conjures up an image of a good working environment then I suppose your "good friend" is correct. However this says NOTHING about the standards of: pay, terms & conditions of employment, leave entitlement, crappy money purchase company pension scheme (don't panic lads, I'm sure the markets will pick up soon), loss of licence scheme (or lack of it), the list goes on.

No ATC employers are perfect (not even NATS) and with that comes a certain unavoidable level of disaffection amongst the troops over certain things.

There is no mass exodus pending. Two have left for personal reasons. Several others are muttering quietly about moving on (you'll find people like this at every other ATC unit by the way). That's it: no drama, no crisis and certainly no "unsettling minority" disrupting our harmonious "very good ATC working environment" :E

Perhaps the hit the road comment should be preceeded(!) by a fall from a great height

A tediously puerile jibe such as this merits an equally puerile response: :mad: off. My feet are firmly on the ground :}

royman
9th Mar 2004, 20:21
squibbler.
I dont know who long you've been there.
If you were there with Serco you probably would have been able to get another posting with them.
If you've joined since then were you not aware of the terms and conditions before you signed your contract? If you consider they are that bad why did you go?
How's my spelling?

squibbler
9th Mar 2004, 22:02
What, you mean I should have read my contract before I signed it? Now you tell me royman...........:rolleyes:

Why I came to EGGP is my own business and I will not debate the whys & wherefores here. However if I knew then what I know now, I may well have stayed where I was.

Suffice to say things are now moving in a positive direction regarding pay et al. For the moment however our "package" is distinctly uncompetitive with similar ATC units, hence the lowly response to our recent ad in Flight magazine and the general disgruntlement amongst many of us (myself included in case you hadn't already guessed).

Oh, and apart from getting who & how mixed up your spelling is fine.

:ok:

ILS 119.5
10th Mar 2004, 05:00
If the ATCO's at EGGP feel that they are underpaid, then they should all get together and negotiate a pay rise. They should be paid between 45K to 50K per annum. This would be a very small increase compared to the disruption of a 48 hour walkout from the ATCO's concerned. Think about this, what would the airlines say?, what would the passengers say?. If the ATCO's decided to have a day off due to not being paid the market wage then the airport would halt, the management would be criticised, the owners would be criticised and it would not be a good day for John Lennon. The airport or Peel Holdings would lose more money than the pay rise you deserve. You (the ATCO's at EGGP) should not just take what you are given, you should stand up and get paid what other units are getting, if you don't then you are setting a president for all other non NATS airports. If I were you I would ring up EGNH, EGNJ, EGNR, EGNM (just a few) to find out what they are being paid, and go from there.
All the best.

360BakTrak
11th Mar 2004, 03:08
You in the Union then ILS 119.5?!:}

goddammit
11th Mar 2004, 19:21
Union (ipms?) outside nats would be a waste of time. peopls need to vote with their feet, such as the two that left. There will always be those that will take an uncompetetive salary, such as those that applied. the only hope is that more leave than apply!

I did wonder if the 41k was max on appointment, or is it really top of scale?

ILS 119.5
11th Mar 2004, 23:53
Yes I am in a union.