PDA

View Full Version : 121.5-strange noises

alexban
21st Feb 2004, 18:51
Hy. Does anybody know what was with the strange noises on the 121.5, yesterday ,on the 20 th February ,over the fir's of zagreb,belgrad,and padova ? There were some strange noises,first a rooster,then a cow,silly laughs,and other strange noises.
Some of them looked like electronically made.
It's something new to keep the pilots from falling asleep?:eek: Or was it just me ,dreaming ?!
brgds Alex;)

Lon More
22nd Feb 2004, 01:47
The begining of Lent and the Carnival weekend perhaps??

bento
22nd Feb 2004, 02:30
Same thing happened in maastricht this morning.
It's either bird flu or carnaval,take your pick

or maybe we were both in need of a holiday:cool:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Feb 2004, 22:11
I heard a guy hollering something about May Day on 121.5 once. I explained that May Day was a public holiday and he went away...

Lon More
23rd Feb 2004, 03:15
HD thought that was normal at LATCC in the old days, "Station calling Mayday, Stand by: Bealine .... go ahead with your position Report.":=

normally right blank
24th Feb 2004, 00:23
There are indeed many strange noises on 121.5 - many beginning: "Ladies & gentlemen, this is your captain....."

When fighters are around (also heard on 243.0): "Hammer, hammer, hammer - gotcha!"

original?: (24'th / 25'th Dec) "This is God on guard. Merry Christmas!"

From the "military aircrew":

GUARD

An emergency comms channel. Military aircraft religiously monitor Guard except when someone starts talking on the frequency or an emergency locator beacon goes off, destroying ears for miles around. (It's a good idea, but most aviators would eat gopher berries before using Guard. The tale is told about the American pilot returning with a damaged aircraft from a raid over the North who came up on Guard to describe his predicament. After several minutes of play by play by the stricken aviator an Australian voice cut in to suggest "Shut up, Yank, and die like a man!")

From John Trotti: Phantom over Vietnam (highly recommended!)

Pub User
25th Feb 2004, 06:43
During training in the mid 80s, I once heard the following exchange on (UHF) Guard:

American accent: "London Center, this is XXXX how do you read?"

London: "XXXX, London, you're loud and clear."

American: "Errrr Roger. Mayday, mayday, mayday ................."

Nice of him to check comms first wasn't it?

av8boy
25th Feb 2004, 12:23
American accent...
I thought you guys were the ones with the accents...

:O

Keef
26th Feb 2004, 08:18
An Accent is a deviation from a standard.
Compared with standard English, a transatlantic intonation is an "accent".

So is the intonation of most British speakers. Mine's Essex, you'll be glad to hear.

If you want to hear proper English, you need a Scotsman at LTCC.

keithl
28th Feb 2004, 23:07
Well said keef!

And nr blank - that story goes back at least as far as WW2 and reads better as, "If you can't die like a gentleman, please do it on another frequency!"