View Full Version : "Pilot" front cover. Deja-Vu?

Flap40
18th Feb 2004, 22:28
Just got my copy of this months Pilot through the post and on the cover is a picture of a TBM700 that looks very familiar. I'm sure that I've seen it on the cover of another mag' but I can't think where.

Anyone else agree or am I going bonkers???

ToryBoy
18th Feb 2004, 23:03
Dear God

Please don't let this turn in to one of those magazine slating threads.

Thank you God

Amen

The Nr Fairy
19th Feb 2004, 00:52
Flying had a piccie of a TBM700 on it a few months ago, I think.

Charlie Zulu
19th Feb 2004, 01:15
So did "Flyer" a while back, in fact I still have my copy so when I get the next months "Pilot" magazine I'll compare.

Please please don't turn this thread into a slagging match between ones favourite flying magazine.

DamienB
19th Feb 2004, 01:57
Yeah, turn it into a slagging match about your favourite magazine cover photographer! ;)

cblinton@blueyonder.
19th Feb 2004, 03:21
Nahhhhhh!!!!

Just turn it into a slagging match:ok:

smarthawke
19th Feb 2004, 21:05
With the risk of being accused of keeping the thread on thread, I think that a few of the presumably SOCATA supplied pictures in the Pilot test were used by Today's Pilot in their November issue last year (where they were correctly accredited).

Slightly confused by Pilot's header 'Turbocharged Luxury' though....!

360BakTrak
19th Feb 2004, 23:43
If its the flight test by Pete Turner I think those pictures were taken on the day of the flight....although dont quote me on that!! Do you mean the same picture or the exact same aircraft? Might be the Socata demonstrator or summat.

formationfoto
21st Feb 2004, 20:38
The cover shot is, I believe, a Socata pic (though apologies to Peter March if it is one of his). The article shots are a combination of the test aircraft (taken by Peter March), a Socata supplied shot, and N181PC which was the first of the type in the UK (the C2 version) and resides at Norwich.

The pics of N181PC were taken by Brian Barr and Mike Page (I was flying the subject aircraft with the owner Philip Crew).

The shot over the runway / taxiway intersection was taken at Norwich.

I suspect the Socata shot may have been used elsewhere and certainly the aircraft itself will have appeared in a number of mags.

smarthawke
22nd Feb 2004, 05:37
FF - so which one do you reckon had the turbochargers fitted then....?!!

formationfoto
23rd Feb 2004, 22:57
Smarthawke

I didnt say I wrote the cover lines or captions!.

They are added on afterwards - not painted on the sky when the photograph is taken :-)

Vlady Hell
24th Feb 2004, 01:16
Turbocharger: turbine-driven supercharger for PISTON engines

Gas turbine engine: engine with no pistons

Aviation magazine caption writer or editor: person who knows the difference between the two items above.

smarthawke
24th Feb 2004, 01:59
FF

Fear not sir, I wasn't accusing you of any responsibility! The camera never lies after all....