PDA

View Full Version : ATC Command

AhDee
17th Feb 2004, 11:44
Is there any information about the ATC Commands? I was listening to one of the ATC Channel this morning and not sure about some terms like "?Ikara?", "?susa?", "?duelmo check?" and the way they exchange information with pilot? and radar channels for different places?

Thanks a million!!:O

Frogbox
21st Feb 2004, 02:05
Dude

so many views and so few responses! WRT your location perhaps some things are better left said in Chinese.

Rgds

sorry I couldn't help.

caniplaywithmadness
21st Feb 2004, 04:27
A lot would depend on what you were listening to. If it was an En Route (Area) control centre then most of what you heard is probably reporting points. These are 5 letter points in space which aircraft use to navigate, they are usually something to do with a town or city nearby, for example LOMON is overhead Loch Lomond in Scotland, sometimes they don't make any sense at all, these are usually points in space situated over the sea, I may be wrong but I think that there are points over the North Sea called KOMIK, BEENO and DANDI (BEENO and DANDI are comic books in the UK)

The different radar channels are the "sectors" which are the different bits of airspace controlled by different Air Traffic Controllers, each on has it's own radio frequency which the pilots use to talk to the controller operating that particular radar screen.

AhDee
25th Feb 2004, 15:41
icic.
I was listening to the ATC radar in Hong Kong VFR.
and I got another question....
should the pilots speaking the same set of "Phonetic Alphabets"?
I have heard that some are using "Johnnie" as J, "Mary" as M and so forth.

Shouldn't that J is "juliet" and M is "Mike"?

so that means you have to know more than one set of Alphabet in order to be an ATC Commander and a Pilot?

Sorry that I am just a rookie.......:p

Thx

eyeinthesky
25th Feb 2004, 18:18

These are 5 letter points in space which aircraft use to navigate, they are usually something to do with a town or city nearby, for example LOMON is overhead Loch Lomond in Scotland, sometimes they don't make any sense at all, these are usually points in space situated over the sea, I may be wrong but I think that there are points over the North Sea called KOMIK, BEENO and DANDI (BEENO and DANDI are comic books in the UK)

UNQUOTE

Not any more they aren't! We are now forced to use names which are nigh-on unpronouncable and are drawn from the ICAO database. We have IDESI, LAPRA, ENITO and so on which bear no resemblance to anything.

As for KOMIK, BEENO, DANDI, I think you need to have a look at a map, Can I Play. They went out when North Sea was resectorised almost a year ago.