PDA

View Full Version : 'Speed of maximum lift'

Airways Ed
17th Feb 2004, 10:24
This statement (made in English), by the late Pierre Satre, designer of the Sud-Est (Sud Aviation) Caravelle has me puzzled.

Can anyone help with the last sentence, regarding [the speed] 'corresponding to maximum lift'.

MTIA

“Instead of a stick-pusher or stick-shaker, the Caravelle was fitted with a pitch-corrector device, which went into action when stall configuration was approached, a few knots before the maximum lift angle of attack was attained. A refinement of the artificial-feel system, it maintained a suitable stick force (less than 10lb/4.5kg) between the speed at which the aircraft should be trimmed and that corresponding to maximum lift."

bookworm
17th Feb 2004, 10:53
It just means the 1G stall speed, doesn't it?

john_tullamarine
17th Feb 2004, 14:08
Probably useful if you revisit the old Principles of Flight notes .. especially the CL against alpha curve. Maximum CL corresponds to stall. Artificial devices, such as stick pushers/shakers are used if the stall characteristics have some nasty aspects from a certification aspect and need some help to get a tick in the box.

While I know little about the Caravelle (other than that it was a lovely looking aeroplane from the sidelines), the description you give sounds not much different in the end play to a stick pusher ?

Oktas8
17th Feb 2004, 16:40
Airways_Ed,

The notes you quote would perhaps be more technically accurate if you inserted coefficient of between the "maximum" and "lift".

Quite a few people casually talk about maximum lift, meaning maximum CL.

Hope that clarifies.

O8

Airways Ed
18th Feb 2004, 08:38
Many thanks for the clarification. Both myself, and the translator (from English to French) of my forthcoming book on the Caravelle are very grateful.

According to a test pilot, the Caravelle behaved as 'she' looked, with a very pleasant stall and very difficult to spin.