PDA

View Full Version : For Newcastle ATCO's

M609
16th Feb 2004, 23:38
Sorting through som papers at work today, I found the operators manual for our back up radar system (Nova9000)
The frontpage shows a pair of 24" ish scopes running Nova with picture centered over Newcastle(-ish)

Does this mean that Navia have managed to flog the Nova system to the UK as well? :sad:

Bigears
17th Feb 2004, 06:20
Sorry, but I'm not from Newcastle, however, I do have an answer, which is 'yes' (http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0CWU/2000_March_1/59678647/p1/article.jhtml) list (http://www.parkairsystems.com/xq/ASP/id.87/qx/index.asp)

M609
17th Feb 2004, 17:30
You have my condolences.......... :ok:

10 DME ARC
18th Feb 2004, 01:36
Nova 9000 has been in Newcastle for a good few years, displays our Marconi S511 plus SSR on 24inch colour displays. We were the first in the UK to use it, NATS also has the system. In fact we were one of the first certified colour displays in the UK.

Great system, this is the first bad word I’ve heard about it. In fact we were so impressed we went back to Norway 2-3 years ago for our SMR.
:confused:

M609
18th Feb 2004, 03:35
We call it "The boat radar" since it is actually a system buildt for naval use. Several ships running the coastal express use it, among others. One great sideeffect of this is the water proof console/keyboard! :p

Over here we are moving it to a back-up function, and replacing it with a system called RaADS at some units.

Personally I think it has the most cumbersome HMI of all the systems I have tried. Another point which made us change, is that our version was unable to run a mosaic picture of several radar sensors. :ugh:

10 DME ARC
18th Feb 2004, 04:27
M609 Hi

We must have a slightly different version because I believe mosaic was an option when we got it installed. Its only used at Approach units in the UK, I believe, so mosaic not so important. The day light function whilst not that great in the VCR, has meant we could increase the light level in approach radar.
I was aware of its nautical back ground in Norway but like I said we like it over here.

Vlax
18th Feb 2004, 19:12
I’ve used it at Newcastle, I believe it was installed in early to mid 80’s and was one of the 1st if not the 1st colour displays.
It’s a different unit to the boat radar.
They had one of the old displays (orange) at the end as a back up, therefor a direct comparison could be made, a vast improvement on the old.
Day light ops could be better, so perhaps it wouldn’t be very good in a VCR.
At the time it was about the best about.
:ok:

10 DME ARC
18th Feb 2004, 21:50
vlax
The memory must be going, early to mid 90's!:)