View Full Version : AeroPlane to Train in

davey147
12th Feb 2004, 04:20
Hi,

Still havent decided on Ormond Beach or Naples, but would like to what aircraft is best to train in and fly the C152 or Piper Warrior.

Can email replys to [email protected] if you like.

Thank you

Monocock
12th Feb 2004, 05:25
Would you prefer an email or a forum response?:confused:

Flock1
12th Feb 2004, 06:23
I trained in a C-152 all the way through my PPL and loved every minute of flying it. It was (to me anyway) a very easy and straightforward aircraft to fly.

After I passed, I switched to a Piper Warrior, simply because the fling club I joined had no C-152's. I a couple of hours conversion training and now I fly it all the time.

Verdict?

Warrior easily beats the C-152.

It feels more sturdy and safe. It is wider to sit in and it has a better interior. A friend of mine, who also converted from the 152 to the Warrior, told me that it was akin to driving in a Robin reliant and then driving in a Ford Focus.

But having said all of that, I do miss the 152. After all, it got me through the PPL.

DubTrub
12th Feb 2004, 06:28
I guess the answer depend a lot on personal choice. One reason the 152 is a better ab initio trainer because the main gear is more forgiving.

Try them both and make your own mind up.

WelshFlyer
12th Feb 2004, 07:43
You'd better be a good mate of your instructor if you fly the 152 - you practically have to have your arm wrapped 'round their shoulder:) I get this problem and I'm thin!

Go for the PA28 anytime - they are solid, fly well (unless you get an old wreck) and are easy to fly.

WF.

LowNSlow
12th Feb 2004, 13:26
WelshFlyer you must have had a chubby instructor!

I did my PPL in ARV's, C150/2's, AA-5A's and have flown Warriors post PPL. My personal preference for a tourer would be the PA-28 over the C-152 but as a trainer I think the C-152 does a better job. It might be a few inches (and it is only a few inches) narrower than a PA-28 but:

a) It doesn't have the junior airline pilot instrument panel that blocks your forward view (I'm 6' tall by the way)

b) It has a better view of the ground for early navigation practice

c) It is less directionally stable so you have to use the rudder more than in a PA-28

d) It can be spun unlike all but the earlier PA-28's

e) It's cheaper

f) It doesn't float so much on landing

g) It doesn't make a BOING noise like a giant coke can when you land "firmly"

h) It has two doors

i) It has great flaps

j) It leaves an interesting diamond pattern on your forehead when you accidentally head butt the trailing edge on the walk around

I still think that the ARV was the best trainer I've flown. What a shame that they went into service before they were fully sorted.

Final 3 Greens
12th Feb 2004, 15:05
Welshflyer

I agree with LnS.

The time to fly a Warrior is post PPL, when they are a brilliant lower powered tourer.

Circuit Basher
12th Feb 2004, 16:38
DubTrub - not trying to re-open old 'discussions', but strongly disagree with your statementOne reason the 152 is a better ab initio trainer because the main gear is more forgiving..

The 152 is NOT forgiving of high vertical speed on first contact with the ground. Any vertical energy is stored in the sprung arm undercarriage and will catapault the unwary back into the air! A PA28 has oleos which will absorb a significant amount of the vertical energy component and tend to make the aircraft stick once its down.

All IMHO, of course (having used C172 / C152 / PA28 during training). :D

witchdoctor
12th Feb 2004, 16:51
They're both an absolute piece of pish to fly. The PA28 has the added advantage of being a 4-seater (realistically only 3), so you can buddy up with another stude during training and both can benefit from the other's flying.

Personally I don't enjoy the restricted view from the Cessna in turns, but the viz out the front and the ground for VFR nav is a major plus.

It all depends what you want from the a/c.

Oh, and Ormond Beach has very little going for it. My oldies have had a timeshare there since '82. The place is full of crumblies and so there ain't a lot to do unless you're a geriatric, and while the beach is OK, being on the Atlantic side of Florida the sea is nothing like as good for swimming in as the Gulf. Go for Naples.

shortstripper
12th Feb 2004, 17:15
Hi

Don't forget that learning in a C152 will of course be cheaper!

How about finding a school that has both as many do. Do the early stuff and solo cross countries in the C152 and use the PA28 for nav excercises with another fellow student in the back to allow longer "swop over" trips. That way for the same money as just using the PA28 you'll end up checked out in both and will have had more constructive and fun nav excercises!

SS

strafer
12th Feb 2004, 17:30
Well, only one of them's got its wings in the right place, but as the Warrior will cost at least an extra $1000, I suspect that may be what makes up your mind.

Ormond Beach may be quiet but it's next door to Daytona beach which isn't. Not that you'll have any time to party, young man. You're going to work!

ToryBoy
12th Feb 2004, 17:33
I must admit I agree. One has got its wings in the right place AND it's $1000 dollars cheaper!:ok:

shortstripper
12th Feb 2004, 18:17
If the wings are attached they're in the right place ... it's only when you leave them behind on your way down that you don't give a flying fig about $1000 :\

SS

Genghis the Engineer
12th Feb 2004, 19:07
A thought or two from me.

(1) Who cares what sort of place you're learning in, there won't be time to enjoy the tourist attractions and night life anyway.

(2) If you've a specific plan to fly a particular type once you're qualified, learn on that. If you don't, learn on what's cheapest (or happens to be used by what seems the best school) and convert later - there's nothing basically wrong with either the PA28 or C152/172 as a trainer, if there was you wouldn't see them in so many schools worldwide.

(3) Forgiving easy to fly aeroplanes aren't necessarily the best trainers - which could be an argument against either !

(4) You can spin a C152 but usually not a PA28, but since you'll normally only see incipient spin awareness on the PPL syllabus, that's probably irrelevant anyhow.

G

(Owner of a PA28 share, but usually hire Cessnas when away from home).

S-Works
12th Feb 2004, 21:09
As the owner of a 152 it gets my vote. Allthough I did not learn to fly in one I converted afterwards and bizzarly got hooked on them! Mine has a full IFR fit with GNS430 etc and I love it.

I fly loads of different aircraft ffrom the C152 through warriors, arrows etc. all the way to complex multi engine. But everytime I get back in my 152 it's like coming home!

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
13th Feb 2004, 02:42
The vis is better from the PA28 for circuits. I know that is a poor excuse but the PA28 does make you "rudder lazy" that can bite you later. The C152 defiantly requires a positive rudder input to keep in balance.

The only other advantage of the PA28 is that it does get you into fuel management from day one as you have to switch between tanks.

I guess all told they are even pegged.

Finals19
13th Feb 2004, 14:36
152 is a certainly better for training and general air work. She requires a bit more effort to fly accurately, can be chucked around easily, spins nicely but yet is very forgiving. The warrior is great for a GA x country or going further afield...more room, more stable and less tiring (and if you lean it right fairly economical - did long x country last year in the US and got 7.5gals/hr)

All airwork in a 152! Stalling a warrior is benign for the most part...stalling a 152 with power on makes you sit up a bit more, so to speak..and then there is all that spinning fun if you are up at the CPL level!