PDA

View Full Version : Hours building v Instructor Rating?

Frank Poncherello
11th Feb 2004, 21:29
Hi folks,
Was wondering if anyone that has already made it could offer some advice on whether an Instructor Rating is considered more valueable than simple hours building (be it on SE/ME or on MEJet SIM).
Am at the usual stage now where the next decision could be crucial to making it. All advice is welcomed.

My understanding is that whilst an intructor rating is a good skill to have, to be an instructor is not all that relevant to daily life as a pilot (Not nec IR flying, maily VFR, possibly SE only, with things happening far slower and simpler than Jet flying). Would Jet Sim time be more appealing to an Airline, or do they simply look at Total time?

Cheers
FP

:ok: :ok:

B2N2
12th Feb 2004, 02:59
Hi Frank,
You forgot to mention what stage you're at now.
100hrsTT/200/ 300?
If you want to pay for every hour up to your FAA (I assume) ATPL go ahead.
That's gonna be another 1200x $70=$84,000 :eek:
How are you ever going to reach even part 135 minimums if you are going to timebuild?
And explain to me how sim could be more valuable than actual flying?
You''ll get plenty of IFR time if you do your CFII also and work at the right school.
Instructor not relevant to daily life as a pilot?
Where did you get that from?
What about working long hours 7 days a week, flying with people that are total strangers (initially at least)
As far as I know airlines (especially in the US) hold CFI's in higher regard than others during the interview process.

muck-savage
12th Feb 2004, 03:50
Hour build on a twin , single engine is a waste of time !!!

B2N2
12th Feb 2004, 07:00
Muck-savage...fail to see how 50-100hrs multi is going to change anything if your lowtime (<500hrs)
Your money is just going to run out quicker that's all.
When are people going to realise airline recruiters WILL NOT BE KNOCKING DOWN YOUR DOOR the moment you get your Commercial with 250hrs.
Total time is time no matter what it is, SE ME whatever.....:mad:
Wake-up.....:= born yesterday?

mad_jock
12th Feb 2004, 16:02
Instructing will always be better than hour building if you are paying.

The additional things you learn about aviation and people can't be listed properly.

In the UK the instructors rating costs 5k in one year I logged 900hrs and was payed about 11k. So each hour cost me 5.56 per hour for the rating so I was looking at 6k profit on the year.

Not much to live on i know but boy it was fun.

MJ

B2N2
12th Feb 2004, 21:40
Thanks Mad-jock,
Same here...did 3000hrs in 3.5 years of flight instruction, most of it SE yes, but invaluable experience anyway.
About the lack of IFR...I did 140 approaches in the last 6 months flight instructing.
I know I'm not flying most of them hands-on but we are on an IFR flight plan and my brain needs to be in gear even more than the students, I have to anticipate everything that could go wrong also...:}